I have heard the same and have trouble drinking fruit drinks, too! Could it be the oxalates? Do you form calcium oxalate stones? I've read about it in the past along with the do's and don't of other foods ...
Usually doctors are concerned with limiting your oxalate intake in MSK patients since this can increase your risk of stones. Also large amounts of protein are very hard on the kidneys, actually so is coffee etc. So that could by why they are asking you to watch those things. I would encourage you to ask your doctor specifically what the goal of the diet is!
It took me a long time to realize that diet is HUGE in pain control and overall wellness. It kills me to give up coffee....even a cup bothers me. And beer and all the other stuff hurts me too. Chocolate too. Sorry, it's high in Oxalates...some botheres more than others....At first you should get rid of all the "bad stuff" then try things out one at a time so you know how sensitive you are. I read a book "No more kidney stones" and they tell you "you can fool your self but you can't fool your kidneys"
White choclate is ok (i tried it yesterday out of pure desperation) WE WILL SEE! hollie
Actually with my IC chocolate is a big NO as well and many of the foods also increase pain and muscle spasms so really increase problems in many conditions! I have had to give up chocolate now for about 4 years. Now I prefer white chocolate to dark anyway. I make white chocolate chip cookies, and even get white chocolate hot chocolate from Bass Pro at Christmas time.
There is a book also called the Kidney stone Book I bought about 10 years ago.. I am wondering if it is the same one only revised. Who is the author of this book Hollie? Diet is helpful for us, however drinking enough water to keep the stones flushed out is the most important thing for an MSKer!!!
Years ago I was sent to a dietitian due to MSK and the kidney stones. I was told to limit salt to 2000mg and avoid purines and oxalates. The foods you listed were on the oxalate list. Gravies and liver are all I can remember that were on the purine list, but there were a lot more.
I can't drink ANY alcohol anymore without severe kidney pain. I used to have a couple of wine coolers once or twice a year, but I can't even tolerate one anymore.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.