Memory Loss Community
194 Members

Anxiety

I have had anxiety in my life for the last 10 years.
I am 55, recently found out I had a misdiagnosis of Transverse myelytis! after living with it for 2 years...
I know I am going through the menapause, am anxious about the future and am noticing changes in me.
My memory is appalling, my balance is poor and my daily routine ( motivation is nil) is unrecognisable.
I can sleep for the Queen, for hours without stirring.

I choose to take 7 different supplements daily which my local  health food shop owner assures me is acceptable.

Are there any dangers involved here?

Hi Jinny57,

I just finished reading your comments. You say you have had anxiety in
your life for the last 10 years.  Are you taking any prescription type medicine for your anxiety besides the 7 different supplements. Out of curiosity, what
supplements are you taking ?
Are you suffering through a depression too ? Often anxiety accompanies
depression. I had depression myself many years ago now and I also suffered
from anxiety during my depression, so I know how anxious one can get.
The reason I'm asking these questions is because some prescription medications can cause lapses in memory or perhaps affect your balance.
I would like to offer some suggestions if possible, but I need a little bit
more information from you.  Eve
Hi.
Thanks for your response.
A synopsis of my issues:
From a very a very strict upbringing hence strong core values,
I had to get divorced 20 years ago.
The divorce has been like a drip feed over the years and I' ve carried guilt for all that time and anger/ bitterness towards my ex.
My children are wonderful and now feeling the fallout, all that time later.
They are 22 and 20, both at Uni.
I taught for 34 years, experienced bullying at one school went to court;  represented myself and won the case. I continued teaching until last  year when I decided to retire at 55.
I lost my Mum 2 years ago after caring for her. When I could no longer deal with her Dementia and doykble incontinence, We, as a family found
A nursing home. For 2 months she was abused and neglected and I watched her die over 9 days! I, again, went to court and fought my case.
It was horrendous at the time, inexplicable.
At the same time, I was given a diagnosis of Transvere Myelitis.
This year, after being left some cash, I decided to see a specialist privately because I just wasn't getting any answers that made sense.
Today I know that the diagnosis was incorrect and that there is a good chance that I have ME.
I am not working and I know that is not good after working for 34 years non stop! However, I try to keep busy and have resesrched myself into natiral medicines.
This week I have been particularly not myself so have wondered if the supplements are not interacting well so have stooped taking them daily.
VITAMIN B complex, Vit. D Vit. E,  L-Lysine, Folic Acid, Evening Primrose and Fish oil.
I am not expecting miracles but feel I should be enjoying life with my children, when I see them.
I am very happy with my partner and am still onky 55.
Kind regards Jane

Hello Jane,

You have had a lot to deal with these last 10 years. I am divorced myself
from my first husband. We were only married five years and we never
had any children. I was very angry with my ex for many years. Even though
we were only married for five years, we were together a total of 8 years.
Over time though I forgave my first husband, chalked it up to a life experience and life lessons and moved on. You say at least you have wonderful children. That's great.  You say you taught for 34 years.
Did you teach elementary or high school ?  I'm a retired primary teacher.
I retired 3 years ago after teaching for 30 years. You say you experienced
bullying at one school. How horrible for you. I'm glad you won your case.
What happened to your mom is horrendous. Please accept my sincerest
condolences on your mom's passing. My mom is elderly too and because
I'm now retired, I can spend more time with her. She lives independently
at this time and she gets some extra help from community support.
Do they have homeopathic doctors where you live ? I believe in homeopathic medicines and I prefer to take them when I'm not feeling
well as opposed to prescription medicines. It's not always possible, but
it is my preference whenever possible.
May I recommend a really helpful book which my sister gave me as a
gift. It's called Prescription for Nutritional Healing ( Fourth Edition).
This book is written by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC.   America's #1 Guide to
Natural Health. , copyrighted 2006 .   In case you wanted to purchase this
book, it's a fantastic resource and covers all sorts of topics. The ISBN
number is  ISBN 1-58333-236-7.  
I am glad you are happy with your partner. I also found my life partner
in 2003 after having searched for him for 13 years.  We've been married
for seven years now and we're very happy too. My ex husband met
his future wife a year after we divorced. Some things happen for a reason.
I wish you well.  Eve

You know ,

I grow more suspicious of "supplements"/"vitamins" ...more and more.

The problem seems to be that I keep finding articles that completely reverse well accepted claims of benefits from certain supplements and vitamins. Often enough ...what was claimed to be beneficial will then be claimed to be detrimental. Even widely praised items like "fish oil" can be problematic depending upon who you speak to ...the quality of the oil and the other components existent in some companies fish...they get into "ratio's" etc.

I have come to the conclusion that the best course is to eat a very good diet. Lots of fruit and vegetables ...but also it's just fine to eat some fat and sugar ...drink milk etc. All things in moderation. So I will concentrate on my 'juicer" and juice a combination of vegetables and I will concentrate on my Blender and blend combinations of fruit smoothies etc. Try to be moderate in doing that also . I try to eat grass fed, organic beef [expensive] and I have avoided "gluten" to a very large degree [that's also expensive to buy gluten free break].

Pay attention to sleep and get some exercise [which will help with anxiety and depression ].

I find the above more sensible. I always wonder what I'm doing by dumping a large quantity of one particular vitamin/mineral/substance into my body without the corresponding ingredients that come along with them in nature.
You know ,

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area