Sudden Temporary Amnesia

Hi there. I am a 28 year old healthy non-drinker non-smoker non-drug user, and about a week ago, as I was getting ready to leave the house, I had a sudden and very scary bout of amnesia. I couldn't remember what I was doing, where I was going or why. I sort of knew I had to be somewhere at a certain time, but couldn't remember anything from the night before. I remember flicking through my messages on my phone and not remembering any of the messages I had sent or received the night before. The whole episode must of lasted around 20-30 minutes.

Gradually my memories returned. I decided to spend the rest of the day in bed, resting. I felt mostly fine afterwards, although my head did (and still does to some degree) feel a little cloudy. My memories remain intact however.  

I am awaiting results of a blood test and have an appointment with a neurologist in January, I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered from anything similar or has any idea what it could be.

I sometimes don't get as much sleep as I should. Usually try to get around 6 hours but some days falls to a little less. Ever since it happened I've been going to bed earlier and getting much more sleep.

I also occasionally get brief dizzy spells, usually lasting 10-30 seconds, and usually when I'm sitting down. In fact I had one earlier today. They don't feel serious but I'm wondering if they can be connected.

Thanks in advance,
Ollie
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello, Mr. Ollie!  I haven't experienced anything similar, but I've worked with many people with memory loss.  Temporary amnesia can, as you obviously know, come from a variety of causes.  May I say, you're handling it brilliantly well.  If you've got a few different doctors for different specialties, please tell them all.  Even a simple UTI can trigger cognitive symptoms.  And bless you for consulting with a neurologist.  Hang in there, sugar.  Please, stay in touch on this forum...best from the city of angels!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Memory Loss Community

15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area