Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sudden Temporary Amnesia

Hi there. I am a 28 year old healthy non-drinker non-smoker non-drug user, and about a week ago, as I was getting ready to leave the house, I had a sudden and very scary bout of amnesia. I couldn't remember what I was doing, where I was going or why. I sort of knew I had to be somewhere at a certain time, but couldn't remember anything from the night before. I remember flicking through my messages on my phone and not remembering any of the messages I had sent or received the night before. The whole episode must of lasted around 20-30 minutes.

Gradually my memories returned. I decided to spend the rest of the day in bed, resting. I felt mostly fine afterwards, although my head did (and still does to some degree) feel a little cloudy. My memories remain intact however.  

I am awaiting results of a blood test and have an appointment with a neurologist in January, I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered from anything similar or has any idea what it could be.

I sometimes don't get as much sleep as I should. Usually try to get around 6 hours but some days falls to a little less. Ever since it happened I've been going to bed earlier and getting much more sleep.

I also occasionally get brief dizzy spells, usually lasting 10-30 seconds, and usually when I'm sitting down. In fact I had one earlier today. They don't feel serious but I'm wondering if they can be connected.

Thanks in advance,
Ollie
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello, Mr. Ollie!  I haven't experienced anything similar, but I've worked with many people with memory loss.  Temporary amnesia can, as you obviously know, come from a variety of causes.  May I say, you're handling it brilliantly well.  If you've got a few different doctors for different specialties, please tell them all.  Even a simple UTI can trigger cognitive symptoms.  And bless you for consulting with a neurologist.  Hang in there, sugar.  Please, stay in touch on this forum...best from the city of angels!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Memory Loss Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area