This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Burning nose, weird taste & smell=peri?

I'm nearly 47 and am pretty sure I'm perimenopausal.  Have had some hot flashes and my periods are getting to be abnormal.  Currently I'm a week overdue and still haven't had one yet.

I'm also getting some weird symptoms and wonder if they're related to perimenopause.  I've got a strong burning sensation in my nose which is very annoying.  If I open my mouth, I can feel the burn in the front of my teeth and tongue.  This has been going on over a year.  I've read about the burning tongue symptom, but not the nasal area.

Lately, I've been experiencing another odd body change.  Sometimes when I eat or drink certain foods, I get this strange, pungent taste.  Kind of like horseradish, cilantro and ammonia mixed together.  Has happened while eating: salad, cole slaw, clam chowder, chocolate and enchiladas. (Not every time, though).  Once while drinking strong coffee and eating a scone.  The strange smell problem I've noticed while urinating, and occasionally taste it in my mouth.  Like roast beef gravy and ashes...yuck!

I've had lab work done a few months ago and all was fairly normal.  I'm overweight but active, and my cholesterol is a bit high but not extreme.  I have acid reflux/GERD but have been on Pepcid for a long time.

Any possible explanation?
Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 1
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
242601 tn?1217000247
You might want to meet with a gastroenterologist or even a neurologist or eye nose and throat doctorto better understand what causes the smells and tastes. These are not common symptoms of menopause, though some have reported it. It occurs in less than 5% of the population. Other causes could also be in play such as medications your are taking, a history of exposure to paint thinners or solvents, allergies that thicken the lining of the mucus membranes where smell takes place. Your reflux could also be contributing. Try consulting with one of the doctor specialties mentioned above to try and get to the bottom of this annoying problem.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Discussion is closed