Menopause Community

Can the Mirena IUD cause early menopause?

I've read dozens of online testimonials from women claiming that the Mirena IUD sent them into premature menopause. I can't find any scientific research supporting this though. Anybody have any thoughts? Is this even possible?

I am very worried because I had mine removed almost three months ago, and still no period. I have also been breastfeeding for twelve months and I hope that is the reason. But I've had the occasional hot flash, terrible mood swings and thinning/graying hair. I'm only 30. Any advice?
Mirena IUD is a hormone containing IUD and acts like hormonal contraception. In your case this could be post pill amenorrhea that results from prolonged use of hormonal contraception. The periods stop because of suppression of pituitary gland in the brain by the contraceptives. Generally the periods return in 6 months time. The levels of prolactin are also high in breast feeding women and this can also suppress menstruation. If periods do not return then consult your gynaecologist.  A complete hormone panel and ultrasonography will be necessary.
Hope this helps.
With all due respect to the Dr.'s response.  There is no question in my mind that my mirena iud caused my premature menopause.  I am a 45 year old woman that has been done for four years.  I had my last period 4 years ago at age 41.  I was 32 when I had my first child.  I had no trouble at all with conception.  I did have complications with him so I decided to wait for a few years before trying for my second.  I chose the mirena iud as the form of birth control with my nurse practictioner's advice.  I had it for four years.  I had a terrible period after it was first inserted and then never, ever had another period again.  When I had it removed, I did bleed a little and my doctor said as soon as my regular period resumed I could start trying to get pregnant.  Three years of every fertility test and drug and I still could not get pregnant.  Finally blood work revealed that my eggs were all gone.  I had no other options.  The next four years were a living hell, emotionally and physically.  My mother and grandmother both did not go through the change until they were 55 years old.  I have never been able to prove this but I know without a doubt that I was a healthy female before the iud and now I can never had another child.  Do not get the mirena iud.  It is not worth jeopardizing your reproductive health.
My experience was similar, I kept the mirena iud in for 6 months. I had asked my dr. to remote it after only 3 months, she pushed for me to keep it in over the summer, to give it a chance.

Had it removed in September 2015 and that December the hot flashes began, sudden on set. It's been a year since and I've never started my period again. I'm in my early 40's too young. My mother went through menopause in her 50's. My hair is thinning, changes in my skin, extreme hot flashes and modo swings. I cannot prove it, but I know it had something to do with the IUD.

I can't agree with you more!  I had my 2nd child at 32 also.  I had the mirena (two devices) for a little over 9 years.  I had it removed in Feb '13 because I was experiencing all sorts of weird symptoms.  My ob-gyn said my hormones showed that I was in full-blown menopause at age 44.  I have always been active, healthy and receiving great physicals for my health insurance discount.  Suddenly, everything changed--fatigue, mood swings, hot sweats, hair loss, etc..  I had the doctor remove the device in Feb. and 4 months later I am sitting in bed with the worse bleeding ever.  The doctor did a biopsy to see if I have cancer.  I have unusual cysts on my ovaries (seen by an ultrasound) and feel like my entire abdominal area is swollen.  I have horrible cramps and spend a lot of time off of my feet just to help with the pain.  My doctor prescribed 800 mg. of ibuprofen and prover progesterone to help stop the bleeding.  I am sooooo certain this is related to the mirena.  I can't believe I didn't know all the side effects were occurring with women that had the device.  I am reading the horror stories now and praying I can feel like myself soon.  I'm angry and want others out there to know that this IUD should be taken off the market.  I used to be a paralegal (before children) and have a huge sense of responsibility to tell others about the ill side effects.  I hope others read this and decide to get their mirena taken out.
gosh this is totally freaking me out because i am due to fit in the murina in 2 weeks time. my gynea recommends it after they surgically remove en enlarged left ovarian cyst.
This all sounds very familiar.
I had a Mirena for one year and suffered all sorts of awful side effects. The most scary one was a dramatic rise in blood pressure, both systolic and diastolic.  When it was taken out I was 41 and convinced it had put me into menopause. I was having hot flashes, bloating, vaginal dryness, tiredness, so many yucky things. My doctor did not agree.
After it was removed I bled heavily for 14 days, similar to what happens after childbirth. It took 7 months for me to get another period. My blood tests have confirmed I am in menopause. My mum was in her 50s when she started menopause.
History will not be kind to the Mirena. I have no idea why the medical profession continues to champion and defend the Mirena.
I am healthy, not overweight and I exercise regularly. My BP is now controlled but I have to take 10mg of Coversyl. I used to have a BP of 110/70. After the Mirena, it was 148/109.
If I was advising anyone I would say do not get a Mirena.
Hello,Im 43 and had a Mirena and bleed just about every day for 6 months,and the Drs kept telling me it was ok and normal,
My periods were always extremely heavy and would clot,i would stand up from sitting and would be flooded all over the chair,a couple of days every month I just would not go out...
So that's why the Dr put the Mirena in,from the very start I knew the Mirena wasn't for me,and after about 6 months one Saturday morning I felt I was having a miscarriage and went too the Drs that Monday telling her of what was happening and I felt as if it had fallen out,she told me it hadn't but checked me only too find it had gone..
Anyways after 6 months of hell,
now
I haven't had a period for two months,i too believe it was the Mirena that has brought on my Menopause.
hello, i am 23 and had the mirena in for 15 months. i am 14 months post surgical removal and have had 4 periods in that time, none of which have been within the past six months. No sex drive whatsoever, and no there is absolutely no possibility of pregnancy(I'm a lesbian). I experience hot flashes and mood swings almost daily and already have way more silver coming in than any girl my age i know. Has anyone heard of menopause coming on this early ever?
Hello, I know this is 2 yrs later but I wanted you to know your not alone in this. I'm 25 and have the mirena as well. I have had it in for about 15 months and experience the same symptoms. My doctor checked my hormone levels and they're so low I'm in postmenopause. I hope since you have commented your doing better.
I am a 43 year old woman with symptoms of menopause. I had my first child at 40 years old and at my doctor's advice, had the Mirena inserted. It was horrible, I did not have regular periods at all and I gained a lot of weight. She kept insisting that I needed to give it time to adjust in my body, finally after 1 year, I had it removed. After the removal my periods continued to be irregular and now I have not had a period since November 2013 and I am definitely not pregnant. I have hot flashes all of the time - I have an appointment with doc next week to do blood work. I am SO angry right now - as consumers, what can we do?
I'm angry as well. What can we do! We've all had our fertilfity cut short and now to deal with the conseqences of menopause to early. I wasn't prepared, my husband and I only wanted a safe form of birth control and to maintain a healthy active sex life. I'm healthy and active, however reading these posts I feel we're left in this position to have to defend ourselves. As if we don't know our own bodies.
I am 45 and had the Mirena inserted about 4 years ago due to sever hemoraging during my periods. I smoked at the time, so the pill was not an option to help slow the bleeding. I opted for the Mirena. I haven't reallly had a period in the past year, and I'm plagued by hot flashes a hundred times a day, along with fatigue, insomnia, moodiness, joint pain, skin rashes and weight gain. Even with my workouts - which include speed walking 30 km per week, I still cannot get rid of the 'pudge' and I have a very low sugar diet. I haven't experienced high blood pressure like some of the other ladies here, but all the other symptoms highly resemble full blown menopause. Even at 45 this is early. I am going to have the Mirena removed and get my tubes tied. At least then I will know what my body really wants to do naturally, as I do not want any more kids.
I just turned 29 this year I had the mirena for about 7 years switched it out at the 5 year mark like they tell you. After I had my son (second child) at 21 I had decided that I really didn't want any more children but since I was so young and didn't know what was to come my husband at the time and I decided to opt for the Mirena recently just got remarried about a year ago and last May my now husband and I decided we wanted to try and have a baby together so we took the Mirena out didn't have a a period for about 2 month figured that was normal due to having it in so long then first two periods I had last me about 21 days again figuring that was normal due to having it in so long and hearing and reading it can take a year to get normal again ok fine i can deal well then they went to haveing one every other month normal couple days long till the last few months they are off and every couple days will last a short period of time maybe a couple hours to a day stop for a day or 2 and then back at it again I have no idea what to think of this and have no insurance so rather scared to go to the Dr and not be able to do anything about it, part of my mind thinks maybe its early menopause but with out going to the Dr how do I know I do get hot flashes and mood swings but have always been hot most people are cold just never like this its really annoying, if any one has had similar experienced I would love to know I'm not allow and any idea of how to deal or what it could be thank you.
I am so sorry to hear your story.  I feel that there are things about the Mirena that are not being disclosed.  I have two grown children and went on the Mirena becaus of my period being heavy.  I had it for four years until i starting spotting and not feeling myself at all.  Before I had it removed I asked my physician will she be giving me something to replace the hormone I was receiving, she stated no because I was a smoker.  I was a bit set back by that.  I  has the Mirena removed and what a horrible experience I went through.  Going to my Obgyn and her telling me I need to go to my PCP for anti-depresants, I could not believe it. Then my PCP sent me to a psych Dr , but before I could get in for a visit, I ended up in the ER because of the severe anxiety I was feeling.  I have never experienced anxiety or depression.  I did not know what to think it was the most awful experience I have ever had.  I was off of work for 3 months.. I still was not myself.  I followed up with my Obgyn again to find out I was in full blow menopause, whoch my Obgyn was a bit shocked.  We discussed this and I asked was this due to having the Mirena taken out.  She did not believe so but my psyh. did, because I have never  had experiences as i did described previously.  I am 45 ,have had good health up until noe. I have gained weight, so tired all the timeand started spotting again to top it off.  So again I followed up with Obgyn and had ultrasounds done, which showed some cyst so i had to have a D and C done,  I feel that the Mirena has all to do with me going into menopause, but no physicians will wonfirn this.
Yes I believe it can -there have not been enough trials done read this blog in the medical journal of obstetrics and gynaecology (see below from 2007!)  It's disgusting that women are being pushed into having it by their doctors. They wait until you are vulnerable and don't tell you the side effects such as hair loss/growth ,reduction in your own hormone production and loss of periods leading to menopause. Why are none of the doctors contacting any of us to record our experiences in a clinical trial before they harm other women?Sir,

" I read with interest the article by Halmesmaki et al.1 that only 48.7% of women randomised to the levonorgestrel (LNG)-releasing intrauterine system Mirena, kept it in situ until their 5 years follow-up visit, while the rest either had it prematurely removed (8.5%) or underwent a hysterectomy (42.7%). It supports the growing evidence that women’s satisfaction with Mirena (Schering Health, Newbury, UK) is limited. I do not find this surprising. A colleague and myself previously reported (as an abstract) a survey including 160 Mirena users in Suffolk in which we found that 46% of women had had the system removed within 3 years of insertion (median duration = 260.5 days; range = 4–1460 days). The most common reasons for early removal were unscheduled bleeding, abdominal pain and progestogenic adverse effects; including bloatedness, headache, weight gain, depression, breast tenderness, excessive hairiness, greasiness of skin and lack of sexual interest.2 Our data related to a selected population who had the Mirena inserted under general anaesthetic after hysteroscopic examination of uterine cavity to exclude lesions, such as submucous fibroids. I would expect the continuation rate to be lower in women having the system inserted without prior exclusion of intrauterine pathology. The satisfaction rate in our cohort of women, as assessed by visual analogue scale of 0–10 cm, was only 49% (unpublished data).

Halmesmaki et al.1 reasonably attributed the detrimental effect of Mirena on the sexual function to the higher incidence of lower abdominal pain in users when compared with those who underwent hysterectomy. Furthermore, the decreased satisfaction of sexual partners could be due to the inhibiting effect of the irregular bleeding, which is the most common adverse effect of using Mirena.2,3 The observed decrease in women’s sex drive could also be due to the systemic effect of the progestogen absorbed into the circulation, indirectly affecting the sexual partner. The argument used by the authors that serum concentration of LNG is extremely low and that its influence on ovarian function is limited has been disputed recently by many investigators. Xiao et al.4 found that Mirena was associated with substantial systemic absorption of LNG and recorded serum levels of around 500 pmol/l. This is equivalent to two LNG-containing ‘minipills’ taken daily on a continuous basis. Moreover, a retrospective observational study documented that 21% of Mirena users experienced progestogenic adverse effects.3 Wahab and Al-Azzawi5 reported that Mirena suppresses oestrogen production, inducing a clinical situation similar to a premature menopause in at least 50% of treated women. The prolonged oestrogen deprivation will have a profound negative effect on women’s sex drive, which may explain the sexual partners’ decreased satisfaction.

In fact, despite the popularity of Mirena as a contraceptive method and in treating menorrhagia, the continuation rate and women satisfaction level have not been adequately assessed in the UK population. A large well-designed study is required to evaluate these important factors so that women can be adequately counselled. The idea that Mirena works entirely as a local source of progestogen should be revised, and the recent concerns about Mirena should be made clear to women regardless of the marketing pressures." Consultant Gynaecologist Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust Suffolk
I can't find the Wahab paper.  Please, that sounds like a significant research to back up our claims.  Can you post a link?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2007.01439.x/full
Hi all,
I'm 24yrs old and have had the Mirena for just under 6 months. I had bad pain and bleeding a month after having it put in, then started to develop acne. I've also been very bloated, moody and experiencing night sweats. I feel like I'm in menopause but I'm obviously too young. I'm booked into my specialist in a few weeks time when I'll have it removed, but am worried that I already have damage or actually have been put into premature menopause. Looking for anyone who may have experienced this or anyone with medical advice re if my fears are even possible
I am 43 years old and I have had the Mirena iud since 2011. I had some bleeding issues at first but they were mild compared to how horrid my periods were normally so I didn't mind.  I now have not had a period at all in nearly 2 years. I've been loving that, but in the last several months I've started having symptoms of menopause which concern me. Hot flashes, mood swings, bloating, weight gain, high blood pressure, and I was wondering if the iud was the cause of this. After reading the many comments on this forum I believe that it is. If I truly am going through early menopause I'm not really worried too much about it. As I said, I'm 43, my 2 kids are grown and I have no plans for any more. But I'm a little afraid of what will happen when it is removed. Will I go back to bleeding the way I used to? Which was awful enough. Or will it actually be worse than before?
Hi, At 43 the Mirena was recommended to me to stop the heavy bleeding associated with Fibroids. It was fitted in April 2012. For five months nothing - no bleeding. In August 2013  I started getting excruciating contractions that only abated with Dihydrocodeine, I then started to bleed heavier than every before, passing lots of large clots daily - this lasted for two months. Thereafter my periods were sporadic and light. In April 2013 after insisting on blood test I was 'confirmed' pere-menopausal.

My situation is compounded because the Mirena has gone AWOL, two ultrasound scans; an MRI and a hysteroscopy have been insufficient to enable BARTS to confirm whether or not the coil has been expelled. I am still experiencing much of the side effects described by so many others, so believe it remains in situ: Weight gain I can’t shift, headaches (including the pinging described by one other), joint pains (arthritis and rheumatism ruled out), severe pain in my weakened hands (couldn’t open a jam jar). The pain is much better today but I still get a prickling tingling sensation in my hands and fingers. I have all the symptoms associated with menopause, including the raging inferno that only a man could have labelled a ‘hot flush’! Hair loss, brittle nails, fatigue – I can literally sleep for 24 hours and wake up tired – I try not to.

I’m convinced the medical profession are aware of the link between the Mirena and Menopause, my consultant suggested I was infertile, at 43, before carrying out tests. When the result came in I was literally encouraged to just get over it, put my longing to have children behind me and move on, without exploring any other options. I had mentioned this site (not by name) and was encouraged, not to add comments to it!  I recently requested an FOI from BARTS Royal London Hospital, on how may women fitted with the Mirena have subsequently been diagnosed as menopausal - they declined to provide the information saying outpatient records are not reconcilable.

I am based in the UK and fully intend to raise my concerns with the manufacturer, the General Medical Council (UK), The Secretary of State for Health, and the NHS. There is far too much at stake for women and way to much information readily available on these common ‘side effects’ for the medical establishment to continue to deny having any awareness of even a suspected link, as such they, along with Bayer have a legal and ethical duty to act.
I doubt medical professionals are aware of the link.  They just use drugs that are already approved by the government.  Researchers on the Mirena might have seen some evidence, but dismissed it as being statistically insignificant.  There need to be more research, but until then, people are just going to look at our cases as anecdotal evidence.
I can't believe there are so many experiences here similar to my own. I had my first Mirena coil fitted in 1998 - recommendations then were that it could only remain in place for 2 years as it was still a new treatment.  When the 2 years was up the time it could remain in place had been increased to 3 years. In 2001 at the age of 39 I started to experience some odd symptoms as though I was pregnant but in an extreme way. My breasts enlarged and were very sore so much so that I couldn't even bear to have bedding against them, I was urinating much more than normal and had put on weight in my tummy area. Following a hormone test undertaken by my GP I was called to ask how much HRT I was taking as my oestrogen levels were sky high. (it was so high they assumed I was overdosing!) When I explained I wasn't on HRT they thought I had an ovarian tumour. A scan showed a small ovarian cyst which needed no treatment but I was feeling so ill from the high oestrogen that I asked for the Mirena to be removed. From the next morning I started to feel better from the excess oestrogen but was then diagnosed with early menopause which I am convinced was directly caused by the Mirena coil. I am 52 now but not had any periods for more than 10 years. I feel this coil has stolen my youth, that I am living in a body which is further into age related decay than it should be. I am sad that I have thin hair, weakened bones & teeth, loss of strength, memory, vitality etc etc at this early point in my life. Mirena might have made millions for Bayer but it stole years from me. It has taken me a long time to accept where I am today - I find that taking natural progesterone cream has helped - but I can't understand why Mirena is still on the market and still continuing to add to womens ill health.
I was 33 when I had the Mirana put in and only had it in for a few months. I had it taken out and it has now been 10 months since my last period (which were always normal before)! My Dr did blood tests and says that I am now in premature ovarian failure!  I am sure it has to do with the Mirana!  How come this is not listed as a side effect on the Mirana website!!!! I definitely would not have put it in if I knew this!
I know this is a late response to you post, but I came across because I'm experiencing the same thing.  At the age of 34 my doctor told me my hormones levels show premature ovarian failure.  I have never been pregnant and now I'm so concerned.  I agreed.  I did a lot of research and this was never mentioned.  
Is there a group of women bringing a law suit against Bayer for causing premature menopause in women from mirena use. I too have suffered this. It isn't right, we find out when it's too late and they try to tell us it's a co-incidence. How can we prove it?
I doubt there is a lawsuit in order.  1% of women suffers premature menopause naturally.  There is no study showing progestin contributes to premature menopause.  There need to be more research to address that, until then, we don't have a case.  
I am 39 years old and had the Mirena put in last November.  I am a breast feeding mom and didn't want my milk to dry up while going back on BC's.  Within a few weeks after it was put in I knew something was wrong.  I became horribly depressed.  I have never ever been this depressed before.  I decided to wait and see if my body would adjust to it.  It was a nightmare, I was a short fuse, developed cystic acne, when I never had a problem with pimples before and couldn't understand why I was crying uncontrollably for days on end.  Never in my life have I ever felt so miserable.  I had it removed one month ago, just had my "first" period which was more like spotting and lasted a couple of days, nothing like my normal periods prior too.  I have hot flashes constantly and have been wondering if this thing has put me into premature menopause after having it in for only 4 months.  This was the worst thing I have ever done to my body.  I regret every second of putting this thing inside me.  There needs to be a lawsuit against this company.  
I also worried about having my Mirena removed, I'd had it inserted 4 years preciously to help with my heavy constant flooding.  Since having it removed (six weeks ago) I haven't had any periods but I am suffering from hot flushes, many, daily.  I'm really happy that I had it out, no regrets, especially after reading the comments on this forum.
I am 33 years old. I have had two mirena's and I currently have the Nexplannon arm implant. I recently went to a new Obgyn to get my yearly. I discussed with her some of the symptoms I have been having for years now that my previous Dr told me was "normal".
After getting my second mirena I started to get melasma, dark pigmenting of skin on my face. I also noticed I was lactating thinking I was pregnant because I never had a period. I had my blood work taken back in 2007, my prolactin was within normal. Now I still have melasma and lactate. I also have not had a sex drive it feels like in a number of years now. I most recently have noticed vaginal dryness to the point of being uncomfortable 24/7, and super painful sex. I feel like a hormonal mess, cry all the time, get angry. She ran a number of labs all coming back normal. I had some blood work and my prolactin came back elevated this time, and even higher two weeks later. Had to have an MRI to rule out a tumor in my pituitary gland. No tumor but not sure why my prolactin is elevated. She believes I am in early menopause due to being on a progestin based birth control for 11 years. I have an appointment with an Endocrinologist this week, hoping to get some answers. I still have my Nexplannon but it is essentially the same hormone as the IUD. My Obgyn didn't think I need it out. I'm not convinced that it should stay in. Not sure if my elevated prolactin and menopause are both related to the birth control but hoping for some real answers.
I have had symptoms similar to yours - Can you please provide a follow up to the above?
I have no children, I have never conceived a child ever. Despite this, when I was 24 years old, Planned Parenthood recommended the Mirena to me as birth control. Placing the IUD in my cervix was the most awful experience of my life, as my fully intact cervix was pried open to place it. I experienced every side effect possible, I had the most excruciating bouts of pain at random, which felt like someone thrusting and turning a japanese sword in my gut repetitively, pain that made me scream a loud against my will kind of pain, headaches that were beyond my belief of intolerable, and I was the meanest, nastiest ***** for no reason at all and in denial about it. After developing ovarian cysts I had no knowledge of and one bursting while on a crowded bus in downtown Chicago on my way to work. Going from literal shivering freezing to sweating compulsively, all the while dizzy and disoriented and feeling like I would collapse where I was standing in  a matter of 5 minutes top.. I decided it would be best to take the darn thing out. Taking it out was not more pleasant than putting it in at all. I went maybe 6 months without any birth control, but eventually needed to try something else, I used the Nuva Ring prior to Mirena so I figured I'd just go back... well it wasn't all smooth sailing. I experienced extreme dryness during sex and excessive discharge throughout the day... So that didn't last long. I decided condoms would be just fine. I'm maybe 25 and a half at this time. Time goes by and I'm not hugely sexually active, bad breakups, I keep to myself. I'm 26 and a quarter, skin has grown in vaginal opening, i dont know why, when I have sex, it rips and bleeds every single time, therefore I'm not so interested in sex, i'm also dry and I cant' understand why these things are happening. I'm awakened several times a week throughout the night and I (who am anemic and typically just cold)...am soaked in sweat and freezing. I'm an extremely fact based, logical person and for some reason i'm erratic at times now, and my emotions don't make any sense to me anymore, I seek talk therapy with a counselor. I'm experiencing mood swings that convince me I'm losing my mind. At 27 I go online and locate webmd, where I self diagnose myself in the wee hours of the morning after a nice glass of wine, I pay to chat with a doctor online, the doctor confirms my worse fears, I'm experiencing menopausal symptoms and could benefit from some light estrogen use. I practically bully my doctors understudy to write me a prescription, I use the cream (estradiol) for maybe 3 months, that thick skin in my vaginal opening disappears entirely, I am horny beyond belief and it feels like I have my life back as my relationship is at its peak with my newest boyfriend and I feel like a rational human being not consumed in emotions. Today, I'm 28 years old, I have extremely reduced libido, but I have no issues with dryness. I have loss practically all of the awesome sensation I used to feel in my nipples which typically aroused me during foreplay... no crazy mood swings, no pain, and no hot flashes.... but I'm pretty certain that I already went through premature menopause and I'm no where near 40.
There is an easy blood test to determine your estradiol and FSH levels to confirm whether you are in menopause.  
I do not recommend Mirena to anyone, go with your gut and take the thing out. The side effects are too weighty for the benefit that can be provided by many other alternatives.
Wow, it has been eye opening reading all the experiences. I am 43 and had my Mirena removed about 2 and a half years ago. So many problems after it's removal, periods every 2 weeks for months, then none for a while, then another whole heap,and now for about 5 months, nothing. Am concerned that it is early menopause and like others, feel way to young for that and worry what other problems that can cause later on? Now that I have read these experiences, I will definately be getting some tests!  
Did you get tests done? What did you find?
I got the Mirena IUD back in May for a few reasons, however, as soon as I walked out of the doctor's office and got on public transportation to go home - I passed out and came to with people standing over me and telling me that an ambulance was on it's way.  Fast forward to now - I have hot flashes daily, but that's not the worse part - I literally have night sweats EVERY nights & so I sat here at my desk and tried to pen point when my life physically turned for the worse & I realized it was after I got the IUD inserted.  I decided to google hot flashes and night sweats and all the answers are right here... going to call my OBGYN to have it removed as soon as possible... Thanks Ladies for sharing your stories.
How do you feel now?  An update would be nice.  
I am considering having my Mirena removed.  Do you regret having yours removed?  I have been having issues for 6 months but I'm scared they'll get worse if I take out the Mirena.
I regret not taking it out sooner. Anytime I complained to my Dr, she made me feel its me and not Mirena. Trust your body. There are other contraceptives, go for the ones that are not hormone based.
I agree, I too only regret not going with my gut instinct and having it removed sooner than I did. Trust your body and don't let a Dr. shame you into keeping it in, or tell you to give it a chance.
I am convinced mine began to trigger peri menopause. I experienced vaginal dryness, loss of desire, exceptional fatigue and hot flashes, weight gain at my waist alone- without changes in my eating habits.
Did anyone else have other symptoms like increased sensitivity to minimal sun exposure, cystic acne, acne in places they never had it before, PMDD diagnosis, sensitivity or joint pain with cold temperatures?
Also if you have had it removed have any of these symptoms persisted?
I would be interested in talking with an attorney if anyone is aware of one dealing with these issues as opposed to migration of the IUD. I was told  by my physician and the medical literature that it was safe with few to no side effects when I elected to use it in 2006/7.
In my case, the perimenopausal symptoms persist. I had it for 4 yrs. Although, I have to say I have less/minimal acne now than when I was on mirena.  I rarely had acne as teenager, a pimple once in a while.
Right, did not find any existing lawsuits for the issues we are facing. The ones that exist are for migration of IUD and other conditions. Adding these links here, so that we can see the other problems caused by mirena.
https://www.schmidtlaw.com/mirena-lawsuit/
http://www.drugwatch.com/mirena/lawsuit/
http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/mirena-iud-13909/
I stumbled upon this and it sounds like me!! I am 42 years old, had Mirena for 10 years and am told that I am post menopausal. I am suffering tremendously from this. Also was diagnosed with afib which is very puzzling to my doctors. Because of this I cannot take hormone replacement therapy to help alleviate many of these issues. I am VERY INTERESTED in joining forces with this group to investigate further!
I also had Mirena put in right after I had my second child at 37 and within a year, had at least 35 hot flashes a day and a lot of anxiety.  After being told by my doctor that it couldn't be the Mirena, I insisted on having it taken out and within a month, the hot flashes went away but my FSH levels were tested at 70 which is high into the range of menopause. It's 4 years later and I now have to consider hormone replacement treatment.  Do not go on Mirena - I am completely convinced this was the reason why I am in menopuase at such an early age.  There is no history of early menopause in my family either.
If you asked me about Mirena last year, I would have told you that it is awesome.  I am 37 and have two kids.  I had Mirena inserted in 2013 because husband and I decided that we don't want more kids.  I stopped having periods on Mirena and experienced no unpleasant side effects until September 2015.  I started to experience menopause symptoms such as extreme fatigue and hot flashes.  I had two tests to  measure estrogen and FSH and they both confirmed that I have the hormone level of a menopausal women.  Since I was perfectly fine before Mirena (regular period, very mild PMS, no infertility or any other female problems), I became suspicious of Mirena.  Maybe I was the small percentage of the population who have adverse effect on Mirena.  I had it taken out in October 2015.  I was planning to go on hormone replacement therapy until my period started in Jan 2016.  I even had an ultrasound to see if I have any kind of growth on my ovaries causing abnormal estrogen production and everything came back normal.  We will see if my body will cycle normally from now on.    

I can't find any papers from Pubmed regarding progestin (active ingredient of Mirena) causes early menopause.  There was one obscure paper done on animals regarding progesterone receptors downregulating estrogen, but I can't seem to find it again.  I do wonder if some of the rare side effects were deemed statistically insignificant during the research phase of Mirena.  Regardless if you think my experience was proof or anecdotal evidence, having irregular period before the normal menopause age is a sign of trouble.  Mirena stopped my period all together for two years, so I couldn't monitor my body until the symptoms became too obvious.
I am the same age has u and experienced the same problems.  I haven't have a period since I removed mine 2 years ago and now I am premenopausal.  I just started the hormone pills.
You are not the only one. I was emotional mess when I had Mirena. My gynac told me its probably because other stresses. But I could cry at drop of a hat. I had Mirena for 4 yrs and looking back now, it seems everything I was going through was perimenopausal. I got off Mirena in May 2013 and around august 2013 had a sudden weight gain around abdomen and thighs. Got my periods back but they were lighter than what I used to have. All through 2014/15, I have had huge hair loss, sudden grayness in hair, skin and voice have changed. Dr says I am perimenopausal at 40. My mom started her around 50 and reached menopause by 52/53 like most other women in our family.
I am not sure how to get back to normal or what to do? I should have trusted my instincts and gotten rid of it earlier. I feel stupid for trusting the dr and not my own body when she told me it was not mirena, but something else going on with my life.
I read/research everything when it comes to kids health or any other things, since there is lot of information available online as compared to 10/15 yrs ago, but why did I not do this 5/6 yrs ago?
In last 2 yrs I have aged a lot, my friends, everyone looks the same. I look and feel 10 yrs older. My pcp has asked me to work out  more and am going to start with an 60/90 mins a day and see if it helps. Yoga seems to help with things related to pituitary gland issues, so will be trying that out.
Anyone out here, who can advice how to deal with this thing?
I too have had an adverse experience, I had the Mirena for 6yrs. I had increasing symptoms of hair loss, rashes on my face, abdominal pain and swelling, under active liver, swollen pancreas, bloating weight gain, extreme fatigue and mood swings...
I have found acupuncture is helping. It's been 2months since I had it out. I've felt elevation of positive moods like joy (unaware I was missing it), hormones are a mess, cold uterous but slowly getting back in balance. I still haven't had a period though.
I would try acupuncture.
I have had 3 Children and my periods were always like clock work until I had the Mirena. I constantly bled for weeks at a time. Drs and health professionals were telling me it was normal until I finally got sick of it and had it removed 9 mths later in 2010. Not long after that I had my tubes tied. Since having the Mirena removed my cycle was never the same again bleeding weeks at a time with a few days break then again for weeks. Over the years it remained irregular but my period then became less often every 5 -6 wks apart. Today at 43 my Dr told me I am menopausal and have not had a period for 4 mths. I strongly believe that the Mirena had stuffed up my cycle and as a result now I have early menopause. I'm angry that the Drs suggested this as a form of birth control because it was only a birth control because I bled so much my husband couldn't come near me. I wish I never used it and I will tell people not to use it.
I am 30 and had the Mirena put in last year April 2015. I was on my period when it was put in and the pain of 3 horrible long pinches. I have one child and my husband had a vasectomy before we met. My doc put me on the mirena for heavy, clotting menstrual cycles for fear of becoming anemic. The cramping and bleeding stopped for a few days but the bleeding came back and lasted for 6 straight months. There were a few times that it stopped within that 6 months. During the 6 months I was also diagnosed with tonsillitis. My doc told me my tonsils were trying to fight an infection in my body but my tonsils couldnt handle it and I caught an infection.  After that 6 months, I had a tooth that had to get a root canal. A month later after that 6 months of bleeding the spotting came back maybe in Nov 2015. I had ANOTHER tooth that was bothering me and had to get another root canal. That was so strange to me.... within the year I have had the worst itching of my scalp and tons of grey hair at the top of my head.  My face is extra oily now and the depression comes at random. It is now March 2016 and Ive been experiencing issues with my wrists like carpel tunnel.  I havent been diagnosed. Ive also not been able to sleep and I  get so hot at night that I cannot sleep. I have brain fuzziness and my sexual appetite depleted well in the beginning of the placement of my mirena. I have 2 friends on the mirena who are experiencing other issues and some of the same.  Ive also put back on weight that I had lost 6 years ago. Ive always had a weight issue but Ive been able to control it within the past 6 years. Im back up to 167 which is high for me now.  I cannot believe Ive pushed this aside and have been dealing with this. I started researching today and found this forum and I also believe Im experiencing perimenopause symptoms.  Ironically my annual appt is tom.  I wonder if they will do the hormonal test if I asked?  They told me on the phone today that they cannot take it out on the same day as my annual but Im so DONE with this thing.  Im mentally drained and so stressed. I hate I did this. Fyi, I'm still spotting everyday. It's very light but always there. It's worse after sex and when I have a bm.
I'm 20 years old and I had the Mirena fitted about 18 months ago due to heavy, long, agonising periods (7/8 pads a day, 5 weeks if not more bleeding at a time with only a few days in between [caused me to become anaemic] and symptoms so bad and painful it was affecting my education and my everyday life) due to Polycystic ovarian syndrome. I had tried everything else first (all the pills, losing weight) and nothing else had worked. The Doctors said that I had 2 options, the Mirena or a Hysterectomy, and with me being 20 and the fact that I've not had kids yet I went for the Mirena as I still hope that I'll be able to have kids of my own one day.

At the start it wasn't too bad I bled for another 2-3 months (but it was nowhere near as bad as before) then I haven't had a single day of bleeding.

I have however had a lot of pain. It seems to be that since the insertion of the Mirena my physical health has just got worse and worse. I gained 30lbs in the first year of having it in despite eating healthily and going to the gym.  The symptoms of my hayfever have gotten a lot worse, I get I'll a lot more often, I experience more joint ache and back ache, I've recently been diagnosed with migraines after finding a cyst on my head too. And have abdominal pain at least once a week.

The past couple months I have been getting hot flashes and dizziness and nausea and after reading other people's experiences I am starting to worry.

I am unsure of whether to get the Mirena removed or not as it has stopped the bleeding and I am no longer anaemic and I am terrified that I might have to have a Hysterectomy and I know that if they told me that I would probably lose it and not be able to cope as ever since I was little all I have wanted to be is a mummy.

I know that ultimately it is my decision but I am in desperate need of advice. Please someone help.
Give your doctor a call and let them know about your symptoms. That's the best way to figure out what your options are and discuss next steps.
Find a good naturopath or alternative Doctor that comes highly recommended to help you rebalance your system. Don't keep seeking medical advice from the same people who recommended the mirena in the first place.
I also had the Mirena at age 39 after having two babies. I never had a period in 5 years and had all the symptoms of menopause. When I went to have it removed I told my OBGYN that I must be in perimenopause at least since I had hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain, etc. she said there is no way, I was way to young. She was shocked to find the blood results that I was completely through menopause. So, I see it as I have been sterilized without my consent. It makes me very angry that my option to have a third child has been taken away. If you have issues with your period, keep searching for natural options and do not follow the advice of doctors who tell you the only options is birth control pills or Mirena or any other drug manufactured by big pharma. There is something very wrong going on. I am sorry for all the younger women being talked in to using Mirena and going through menopause at such early ages. It is a shame.
I'm sorry for all you women who've been harmed by the Mirena IUD. So many women have been and continue to be harmed by gynecologic procedures, devices and even pharmaceuticals - Mirena, Essure coils, tubal ligation, other forms of birth control that permanently impair our bodies' natural hormones, hysterectomy, salpingectomy (tube removal), oophorectomy (ovary removal). What happened to "first, do no harm" and informed consent? It's severely lacking in women's health care.
I am 42 and have recently started having symptoms that are related to hyperthyroidism or menopause. I have not received all my tests back yet but I think I just had my first hot flash today. I have had the Mirena for 4 years now and figured I would do some research on my symptoms and causes. My mother says it is too early based on my family history but I would not be surprised if the Mirena is the cause of my issues. I cannot believe with so many women experiencing this there would not be more research done or more lawsuits started. I am sure it is due to the fact Dr are not taking our concerns seriously. I have absolutely no faith in the health care system but I do have faith in my naturopath that she can help stabilize my hormones as successfully as she did when I originally got my Mirena in and had symptoms then as well.  
Hi, ll drop in my 5 cents. I had mirena twice. Firstly it was in for 1,5 years after my first baby, and second time now, its been almost 2 years that I had it inserted after my second baby. I believe I have all the symptoms of menopause, which I ignored as I thought "this is just life in fast lane with kids work etc. I gained 30 lb - I weigh more then when I was 9 month pregnant!! ( after the first baby i only had 4-5 extra lb), working hard to reduce no relult. I am always hot ( I thoughts it was due to breastfeeding - I did it for 1,5 years, but was done with it 6 month ago) still always hot , constantly got sick with cold ( as when other ppl dressed warm I dress too light-hot). I have practically no sex drive. Fatigue, emotionally liability, sleep messed up. What else? I just got blood work done and LOW almost none estrogen and low low estradiol. I have appt to remove mirena next week and really have high hopes that condition is reversible.
I'm 35 for the reference
Yes, i believe it can. it caused it for me. After 1 1/2 years of insertion in April of 2012 I removed it because it was causing life altering side effects. Hair loss, insomnia, depression, stomach issues similar to IBS, neurological issues, abnormal hair growth, weight gain, low libido, loss of sense of smell. These are the only ones that I recall now. I thought that by removing it, the side effects would be gone. However it took a year post removal for the symptoms to slowly dissipate. That first year of removal I went through the infamous crash. 3 years after removal I had my last period. It robbed me of my youth. Of course I am biter. It also caused PID that was asymptomatic. I had no idea & my stupid gynecologist never ordered labs when I mentioned irritation. She thought it was caused by exterior irritation & just prescribed a topical ointment. I am still dealing with the side effects of Mirena. It gave me a right tubal blockage creating an hydrosalpinx in the right fallopian tube. Now it is causing pain & swelling and I need to see a gynecologist for this as well. F*ck you Mirena.  I hope that all who partake in its manufacturing, decision in marketing & distribution rot in hell. May they be cursed in misery in their professional & personal life. May they be void of inner peace for the rest of their miserable lives. BTW I am doing pretty good considering everything I have gone through. My faith in God & my family allowed me to overcome this horrible obstacle in my life.
I am 31 this past April. I had the mirena put in on nov 9, 2016- due to another pregnancy- I had twin girls January 2016- plus I have N 11 year old girl! I'm scared I'm in pre menopause Bc I have HOT FLASHES, I cannot sleep, migraine and MOOD SWINGS TO THE POINT OF ANGER!! This isn't fun. I feel as though I'm losing control I have NO engery Bc I cannot sleep my brain doesn't stop!! I think it's time to take thisbIUD merena thing out!!!
I'm 31 this past April. Sorry- I cannot see what I'm typing!! Sucks!
I mean it's almost 5 am and my mind is running!! Anyone feeling The same??
I had the same IUD inserted for almost two years and felt horrible with it I had it taken out over two years ago and never got my period back. I am 44 years old and in full menopause and it sucks. I have suffered severe anxiety and depression since and I feel it is all to blame on the IUD. So yes I feel it caused me to go into early menopause. My hormones are fully out of wack and I have not felt the same since I had it inverted or taken out. I just want to be normal again.
I don't have the answer but I am seek the answer also. I am 38 years old I'm in full Menopause. I have ever keep the Mirena in a year longer than recommend. Seeking answers as to why I have done this no matter than a year after having it I had no more cycles and only had them ever six months up until two years ago. Had my FSH levels checked and came back full Menopause.
This is most definitely true and can happen. I had my first Mirena inserted in 2004 after my second child. I was 22. I had two different IUDs in for a total of 9 years. The entire time I had it I had no period. I also didn’t have a period with Depo and had my youngest son after several years of Depo shots so I thought maybe no period was okay. Even still shortly after insertion I had low libido and some placement concerns because my husband was hitting the wires. I was reassured and told the low libido could not be related and that the lack of periods was not a concern. I trusted the doctors! Don’t make this mistake. In 2013 we decided to have another child so I had it removed. I was shocked when my period didn’t resume and I didn’t get pregnant immediately as was typical for me in the past. After about 6 months a fertility specialist confirmed I had premature ovarian failure and was at the beginning stages of menopause, at 31! Menopause actually runs late in our family so I was in complete shock. My mother was born when my grandmother was 40. I have different doctors now but no one will admit still that the IUD has caused my infertility. I do not believe for a minute that the medical community is oblivious to this fact. I know 3 women personally that have had this experience all close in age to myself. This alone tells me statistically there must be hundreds of thousands of us. My periods have returned but I bounce between them being somewhat regular but only a couple of days long to only 3-4 periods a year, and even when they do come I never ovulate. I have had 5 years of fertility treatments and no luck. Please avoid this product if you ever want to have children after using it or just want to prevent unnecessary early aging to your body. This product is definitely sterilization without consent.
Interesting read.  Thanks for sharing your story.  And I love your user name.  Hope you stick around the site as I'd love to hear more from you!
Had Mirena taken off 2013 after 5 yrs of mood swings, backache and weight gain to mention a few, my periods disappeared and after the check was told I had early menopause @ 42 could believe it, medical institutions should stop this, I want as many women you have gone through this to come forward, coz it’s not right!! Come on strong Mother’s we can do this!!
I hear your pain cuz I was 35 when iud send me to premenopause and I had iud for over two years and I was going crazy for the whole time
I think the Mirena IUD is very dangerous.  It is supposed to be a local hormone, but I started having emotional stress and hot flashes within hours of having it inserted.
I gave it a while even with a trip to the emergency room for a panic attack caused by a hot flash on a almost hundred degree day in a hot car.
But thoughts of hatred and wishing for my own death (often because I felt hungry) filled my mind.  I couldn’t stand people around me even my family.
I got it removed and felt an immediate relief.
But I began to have a deep worry about all the other women who might not realize their illogical emotions are not real but synthetically hormone induced.  And I can see there are doctors not taking it seriously, (my doctors nurse told me I needed antidepressants).

Are there women out there committing suicide on the Mirena and no one is connecting the dots?!?

Mine has been out for 3 weeks and I am on my second period since!

I hope this doesn’t last long!  And I am longing for the menopause that is eluding me much later into life than other female relatives!  
Same here I had chose to have Mirena inserted after my daughter was a year old, I was 32 at 37 I have it removed they had a tiny bit difficulty getting it out but they got it out, I never got a period when I was on birth control but when I wasn't on it I was exact every 27 days, I had three ultrasounds done to try to see if anything was going on in my uterus because I  can not conceive anymore because I have seven kids so I have never had a problem getting pregnant, but now I'm just waiting for my blood work I haven't had a period for going on 7 months now ever since I got Mirena taken out I never had a regular period It was like every 3 or 6 months I know I have to be menopause early and Mirena causrd me to menopause early which is not what I expected or wanted... All my kids are planned had I known I wasn't going to be able to have anymore kids after Mirena I would have never got it.
Oops on all the typos