Menopause Community

Depo Provera and Early Menopause

Hi, I am a 35 year old woman who was recently told by her doctor that she is menopausal.  I found this to be quite shocking as no other women in my family started menopause early.  

I began noticing severe menopausal symptoms about three months after I cycled off of my preferred birth control method Depo Provera.  When I finally looked online to find out what was wrong with me (no period for 6 months, difficulty sleeping, incredible hot flashes and night sweats, excessive weight gain, a lot of crying, etc.) menopause kept coming up as one of the possible causes.  After extensive testing at my doctor’s office I was told I was menopausal.

One thing I noticed during my internet search was a number of results discussing Depo Provera and how it has caused the onset of early menopause in women even in their 20’s.  

Has anyone else heard about this, and if so, are there other resources I can review to get more information on this correlation?  Thanks, I just have to know what is causing this!
This exact thing happen to me at 36 now 42 i have to take the depot to control the horrible hot flashes and not sleeping. I have tried several times to stop taking it but the symptoms are to unbearable!
I am 36 and was on the depo injection for about 7 years. I then stoped as wanted to try for a baby. That was 14 years ago. I have never been pregnant. I have just found out that I'm no longer producing eggs. I'm likely to go through the menopause at any time.
No one in my family has started their menopause early.
I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the depo injection?
Did you manage to find anything else out?
S