Menopause Forum

Hysterectomy and Endometriosis

I have been diagnosed after a D&C and endometrial abblasion with complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia even though two endometrial biopsies in the past 6 months came up negative.
The cancer hospital's next step is a complete hysterectomy and oopherectomy.  The concern I have is I also have stage 4 endometriosis.

I am 48 years old and have experienced abnormal uterine bleeding in the past year.  I was diagnosed with stage 4 endo 10 years ago, and at the time they didn't want to do a hysterectomy because it would have been fairly complicated because of the infiltration into the bowels, cul de sac, bladder, ect.

Should I be asking for an expert at recognising the different forms of endometriosis as well or will the surgical oncologist automatically have that skill through their experiences with hysterectomies and cancer?
In general, a surgical oncologist is among the most able surgeons as they must always have to tell normal tissue from abnormal and they also have to be able to operate on the bowel and bladder.

While an operation might be complex and their are potential risks, in capable hands, it is a very reasonable risk/benefit decision to do the necessary surgery you require. A surgical/gyn oncologist would seem a good choice.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD