Aa
A
A
A
Close
Menopause Community
3.08k Members

Osteoporosis

I am a 59 year old female.The reading on my bone density test is minus 4.1 for my spine and minus 2.6 for my legs and hip. However, my doctor isn't prescribing any medication for me but tells me to continue taking calcium supplement and Vitamin D and come back in a year to do another test. Since I am obviously having osteoporosis, shouldn't I be taking any prescription drug? I am worried sick over the reading and need some expert opinion to go back and talk to my doctor again.

Thank you in advance for any comment.
2 Responses
this is almost a year later... are you still not taking any prescription drug for your osteoporosis?  Am interested to know what/why your doctor is recommending for your treatment now...

I'm 62 Fem. with T score -3.5.  My doctor is putting me on Actonel but I am reluctant to start.  Side effects are very worrisome...  not sure what to do.  I have started mega doses of supplements and calcium and D and excercise and I want someone to tell me that that has worked for them.  Most comments I get is to take the drug because it's more effective.  I can't believe everyone is taking bisphosphonates or other drugs like that.
Please let me hear from you if you see this!,,, Thanks, and hope you are doing well!
Re: Update

I have just finished with taking Fosamax for the past 5 years and the bone density test that I did last week showed great improvement with a T score
ranging from -1.9 to -2.1 over various parts. Am taking a drug holiday and will be doing another test in a year to see if it holds up. In the meantime, will continue taking calcium, vit. D and doing exercises.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.