Menopause Community

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Picture of a Man with Night Sweat from Fever    Night sweats are excessive sweating that occurs at night. Night sweats are often, but not always, associated with hot flashes that women may experience during the menopausal transition. Many other medical conditions and even certain medications can cause night sweats. True night sweats are not related to an overheated room or sleeping environment.Other symptoms can be associated with night sweats, depending on the cause. Associated symptoms can include flushing, fever, or chills. Talk to your doctor if you are concerned about night sweats. Treatment of night sweats depends on the underlying cause of the problem.
When I mention having night sweats, clinicians look at me as if I have 16 eyes just because I am a male. I have had them for years. Most of the time, I just get uncomfortably hot with no actual sweating. I uncover, and when I cool down, I have to recover because I prefer a very cool bedroom.
I am a 49 year old female.  I have been getting night sweats (from my neck to the chest and on the back only) for about 3 consecutive nights now.  There were no sweats on my forehead or anywhere else.  I am usually a cold blooded person that needed to wear extra layers to bed.  My hand is always cold.  I had my blood tested 2 weeks ago and there is no indication that I am having menopause (maybe perimenopausal).  I have been stressed lately and also been losing weight (not by choice).
The night sweats will start with beads of sweat around my nose and forehead, then it shifts to the back of my head in the neck area, then to the entire neck and on occasion down my chest.  I have also woken at times totally soaked, legs, abdomen groin area.  During the day time when I am having a hot shower I must reduce the temperature of the water.  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in my early thirties, but treatment was stopped when the T4 level stayed at high normal. (I am now 60).  The symptoms I am now suffering are severe anxiety, multiple bowel movements. This totally reminds me of my original thyroid diagnosis.  I would just love to have that treatment back.  Currently the physician is not looking at that, and is trying to increase my Ogen!
Many times I sweat around the neck and chest. Mainly, because I believe I am over-blanketed. I sleep on my side with the covers held under my chin and neck with my hands. It's usually not severe. However, whenever I have a cold or sinus/chest infection, whether I am feverish or not, I sweat profusely around my chest and neck, and sometimes upper back, enough so that I must change my tee-shirt, sometimes 3-4 times a night and the pillow and bed clothes are wet. When the cold is gone, so is this particular kind of night sweat. Also, I never sweat anywhere else usually. This has been on-going since my 20s. I am a 49 year old male. Not overweight and in relatively good shape, exercise 3-4 times a week.
I have symptoms similar to ones posted.  I wake up drenched.  My shirt and my legs are wet.  I switched sides with my BF to see if it was the heater that was making me sweat so much at night.  He said he was fine.  So he said it was all me.  Today I decided to look it up and I am feeling strongly that I have a problem.  I am usually sleeping in a cold room, relatively speaking, right next to a heater and window.  Then I am in a tank top and short sleeping shorts.  I should be cold if anything.  I am for a while but then I wake up drenched. I also get the chills right after.  I am glad I know now.
I have had night sweats three times in one week. It does not occur often, but I am concerned. I have neuropathy in my legs.
Have been experiencing night sweats for several nights.  I wake up drenched from chest to legs and have to change my nightclothes.  I was thinking it was the menopause (I'm 47) but having read some information it may be the anti-depression tablets I am taking, although I have been on them for several months now.
I am a 21 year old female and I have night sweats. This just recently started about 2 months ago. I don't know what the cause is even when my bedroom is cool my husband wakes me up and he is like why are the sheets so wet and why is you pillow soaking wet. I wake up every night sweating like I have just run a marathon. My hair is naturally straight but when I wake up in the middle of the night from sweating it is extremely curly and soaking wet. My pillow is drenched and my sheets are drenched. I do a lot of tossing and turning and that is not like me. I don't know if I should go see a doctor because this is something I have never experienced and I am kind of worried.
I have been sweating when I sleep most of my life. I am 58 years old and I believe I have had this symptom since I was 16. Sometimes it is bad and sometimes I do not sweat at all. I usually feel my stomach very warm and it concerns me, other than that I feel great, eat well and exercise 3 times a week. Weigh about 172 lbs, not over weight much, work out a lot. When I am awake I feel strong and healthy.  I should mention I have high blood pressure but it has been recently.
I periodically awaken during the night sweating so profusely that my hair is dripping and my bedclothes and pillow are soaking wet. I am post-menopausal without current known infection. The sweating can occur with light bedclothes, so I don't think it's related to being overly warm. I've reported it to my internal medicine physician and my hematologist (I have ITP), but neither feel the need for further testing at this time. It would appear to be merely a periodic nuisance.
Last month I came down with what was diagnosed as a bad case of pneumonia.  But the symptoms also included extreme sweating every night, soaked from head to toe and all the way through the bedding.  The doctors tell me that this type of heavy sweating is a typical sign of tuberculosis.  As it were, I was exposed to TB in my childhood and have had "latent" (inactive) tuberculosis ever since. I am now told that I should have been treated with medication to eradicate the TB as soon as the first test came back positive (I never was treated) because latent TB can turn active even decades after contracting it, especially in older adults. So, the doctors are now convinced that I came down with active tuberculosis.  For those of you who sweat at night through your clothes and bedding, you may want to have a simple TB test.
I'm a 54-year-old male. I was diagnosed with transitional cell bladder cancer in 2003. It came back in December of 2008 and is now in my lymph nodes. I have had the night sweats for about a year now, not every night, but most nights, I wake up soaked from my head to my waist. I was told by my oncologist it was because of the cancer. But he could not tell me why or if I could stop the sweats, so I don't know if it is the cancer or something else. I am treating myself with an alternative cancer treatment that worked very well for me. I killed most of the cancer in my body to the point the lymph nodes were no longer detectable with a CAT scan and all my cancer markers were back in normal range. The sweats stopped. My markers slowly have climbed back up over the past year and I now have the night sweats back again. So now I know for sure that it was the cancer that is causing my night sweats, but I still don't know why the cancer makes me sweat at night when I'm sleeping.
I was just awakened again by night sweats. This time, it was so bad I had to change my tee shirt three times. My body was completely drenched. My hair was so wet, you would think I just had a shower. My tee shirts looked like someone sprayed me down with a hose. I am 41 years old and this has been happening now for well over a year. I did go to see a doctor, who told me that I may just be one of those lucky women who is going through menopause early. Yay for me.
I am 49 years old and I am experiencing profuse sweating during the day and at night. I have a hard time staying asleep at night because I am hot one minute, then cold the next, and I am up and down all night long. I think it might be menopause, but I'm not sure. I have never had such a hard time sleeping before and I wonder when this is going to go away. I should probably go see my doctor and get properly diagnosed. That way, I can be treated for this condition, rather than suffer from it.
I'm 47 and have had night sweats for about 3 years.  They get worse for 7 to 10 days before my period - soaking wet all up my back into my hair.  I often spend night throwing off all my covers because I am sweating only to pull them back up when my arms and legs get cold, every couple of hours - haven't had 8 continuous hours of sleep in year.  So annoying!
I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. After I finished my radiation treatments, I had severe night sweats for weeks before developing pneumonia. My doctor says the pneumonia was linked to the radiation treatments. Once my pneumonia was treated with high-dose steroids, the night sweats went away (had to change several times per night, soaked through pillows, sheets, etc.) The problem is that the night sweats have come back again over the last few weeks, and I'm afraid I might be getting sick again -- even though my doc says my lungs sound clear. Sigh.
Hi l'm just about to turn 48, for the last 18 months. I have been having hot flashes in the day time along with dizziness I am menopausal the doctors have said. For the last 4 months now l have had the night sweats up to 6 times a night, (not nice). I sleep with nothing on and it's still just as bad. l throw the legs out of bed to cool off.
I'm a 28 year old female and I have been "suffering" with night sweats for a year now. I really didn't think anything was wrong, and the thing is I live in a little town where nurses are available, but doctors are flown in, maybe, twice a month. So the internet plays a big part and reading all the symptoms of other people going through pretty much the same thing.  I know I must get to a doctor, because you never know. It can range from a simple cold to something more serious like cancer.
I'd had a lot of stress over a few days and at first I blamed stress for having the night sweats, however, after suffering for a week I knew there was something wrong. The first night that I had sweating, I woke up several times feeling really cold and the duvet was off me.  The attic door is directly over my bed and it hadn't been properly insulated and the second night of sweating was blamed on a cold breeze coming down from the attic.  The third night that it happened, I got up and put a heavy pajama top on and when I was getting back into the bed I realized that the sheets and my pillow were soaked and really cold.  I changed the sheets and awoke shortly after feeling cold, this time I checked the sheets and they were soaked again so I knew there was something wrong.  I have been to see my GP and should have the results of some tests soon. The strange thing is I never woke during the sweats only after when the wet sheets went cold.
I was diagnosed with pneumonia and have taken all of the medications and antibiotics. It has been about 5 days since I finished the medications and I have been waking up every night drenched with sweat and soaking wet sheets.
When I was recovering from  hip replacement surgery I suffered severe night sweats. I would wake up totally drenched and have to change my PJs and the bedclothes every night. It happened years ago when recovering from thyroid surgery too. After a while the sweats became less sever and then they stopped.
I am a 40 year old female. I have had night sweats for over a year. I sleep with my window open and fan on year around. I sleep either without any clothes or just a short sleeved night shirt. Lately I have been running a low grade fever on and off for two and a half months and have to change my pajamas three times per night, and I have lost 15 unexplained pounds in 2 months.
had trouble remembering things yesterday couldnt ever remember my password on my computer or thing that happened earlier in the day, felt as though i was about to barf and when i laid down i broke out sweating, soaked my bed and it wasnt hot in house
I wake up at 4:00 am and with night sweats and I could get up and clean the house. But my husband gets up at 5:oo am so I don;t want to distrub him.