Menopause Community

Prempro

After rupturing a calf muscle while being treated with Levaquin for a kidney infection, I developed a blood clot in my lower leg.  I was told to stop Prempro immediately with no tapering off.  I am osteopenic at 55 years old due to taking synthroid for 30 years complicated by a parathyroid adenima that also caused bone loss.  Will I be able to resume Prempro when the blood clot issue is resolved since it was injury related?
How are you? Prempro ( combination of conjugated estrogens and medroxyprogesterone)  is not usually given if there is a history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot. Since  long-term intake of this medicine may also  increase your risk of breast cancer, heart attack, stroke, and blood clot - it is important that you discuss with your doctor about  your management plan. (ref: http://www.drugs.com/prempro.html) Aside from the clot issue, your medical history and symptoms present are important considerations also. Take care and do keep us posted.