Sudden onset of skin wrinkling and sagging in arms

Hi all. New to this. I am a 44 year old woman who is physically fit (gym 5 days a week) and eats pretty well.

Approx 5 weeks ago I developed veins showing on both hands. They have not gone away and infact they are bulging most times, and I can "feel them". They have increased and I can see some starting to climb up my forearm now. Before this, my veins barely ever showed.

Approx 2 weeks ago, I developed wrinkling (crepe paper look) on my forearms (near connection of elbow) and on my upper arms. My arms have gone from 44 years old to looking like those of a 60 year old woman.

Approx 5 days ago my skin started sagging and I have now developed that "flap" by my triceps. My arms have always been my pride and joy..I work so hard at them, and they have been so tone,..now they look flabby and sagging with wrinkles.
I am in a panic. Have a doctors appointment for Friday.

Yes, I am fair, Yes, I have been sunburnt many times over the years. My mother had wrinkles also, but to have this come on so very sudden, I don't know what to think.

As far as periomenopause, it sounds like this shouldn't happen so suddenly and usually the elasticity is after menopause. I don't have any symptoms yet, except for my period being early once in a while.

I am 44 years old, and have gone, in 2 weeks, from having 44 year old skin to skin of a 60 year old. Could someone please help? I'm very distressed.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Order and read the book "The solution to the danger of modern nutrition". by Hardick, Roberto, & Lerner. You will learn how to get your body back in balance so that it will be well enough nutritionally and metabolically to keep hormones and just overall function optimally healthy and in check... part of the book talks about toxicity in our foods, personal products, and environment which contribute to disease and looking old before our time. If you seriously change your nutrition, your skin will reflect your new informed good choices. ***************.com promotes these principles if you want help. Good luck. Also don't be embarrassed about checking on "beauty treatments" like fractionated laser treatments -- it helps regenerate new skins and collagen. Google that too. (I did my face 6 mo.s ago and it was subtle, but still helpful and noticeable in a good way to myself and a few others... Which is nice because they're not sure why, at 54, I still look so young for my age. :) Buuut, the crepiness in the folds of my elbows and the tops of my thighs came on fast in the last month or so. I'm determined thru maximized living and a little laser therapy to address the issue to stay as young as I can for as long as I can. You could also ask for a strong personally made topical peeling lotion from your cosmetic laser surgery doctor as well. Best if luck.
Helpful - 1
*UPDATE:

I ended up trying the "Neocell Beauty Infusion" and my blood pressure shot up like crazy. I tried it for two days with the same results. I'm guessing it's due to the Hyaluronic Acid thickening the blood stream elevating blood pressure, which was enough for me to notice with a pressure headache and weakness/tired. I have Hypertension with a family history of it, along with two  members passing away from it. So returning this product today.

I'll continue with the Unflavored Gelatin and see how that goes.
Helpful - 1
Our hormones control our entire body, brain activity, heart beat, skin rejuvenation, etc., and with he slow down hormones we're basically breaking down.

What I've done to keep facial wrinkles at bay is use a "Buff Puff" sponge (you can get them @ 99cent Store), with a cleanser from @ Target called No7 Beautiful Skin Age Defence Cleanser (with is infused with citrus). This helps brighten your face washing off old dull dead skin, but also stimulates your face to readily turn over new skin. I also use a great moisturizer which is a personal choice. I've done this for years and has taken years off my face.

For my body I use brushing technique, as well as us a kitchen sponge (with one side spongy and the other side with a soft scrubber) and I scrub my skin until it's a bit pink to stimulate the skin and blood flow.

These techniques have seriously helped through the years, HOWEVER, now I'm 61 and see the crepe and sag overnight. I've taken my new vitamin regime as mentioned above and I already slightly see a difference!

Food plays a major part in aging as well. Eat Non GMO and Organic as much as you can. Take Non GMO vitamins. Stop Smoking and Drinking (dehydrates). You MUST take "complex" amino acids to help build muscle and tone skin. Also, coconut creams and oils is "drying" for your skin. Stay out of the sun as much as you can, or use a good sun screen and cover up. Drink lots of water during the day so you don't have too many potty runs at night.

*If you're having night sweats, "can't sleep/insomnia" , rapid heart palpitations, mood swings or sudden depression, minor loss of memory ( any or all )  you may be on your way to menopause.

At one point I felt I was having a heart attack because of rapid heart beats! My doctor told me hormones control our heart rythm and she put me on a Beta Blocker for a while. I've taken them for a few years now and just got off of them with no problems whats so ever.

Bleeding/spotting once in a great while is normal. Your vaginal walls are shedding cells. But always check with your doctor if this occurs can sometimes be something else. You'll want to make sure.

I found Black Cohosh to be amazing during PMS and Menopause to help hormone balance. But you can take too much as it has a natural hormone which can cause cancer (no true verdict on test studies yet), all I know is it helped me feel better.

Check your vitamin D and B12 levels as well for over all health.

*Topical hormones are NOT good because they don't properly dissolve into your body. They have an accumulation effect and that's what causes cancer.

Since my memory is minor I've noticed with I take a herbal type hormone it gets better so I'll have to do more research on it.

I'LL BE DAMNED IF I DON'T GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT. It's a lot of work and can be painful with the pinching, scrubbing, etc...but I've noticed a difference. I'll be back and let you know how the new vitamin regime is going....:)

Helpful - 1
Hi, so happy to have come across this site....:D

There are many things that have contributed to rapid aging. GMO food products, fluoride laced water, chemtrails (rain producing chemicals sprayed from airplanes, etc.), AND MENOPAUSE DOESN'T HELP ANY...GRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm 61 and now having crepey skin and slight droopy/sagging arms effects. Yuck.  

~With lots of research this is the new regime I'm putting myself on below.~

1. Unflavored Gelatin = works wonders for tone of skin and muscles.

2. "Complex" Amino Acids = loss of muscle mass and skin tone due to normal aging. Also, amazing for energy gain. (already noticed the difference in my energy).

3. Non GMO multi vitamin for women.

4. Chelated Cal-Mag (women our age at least 1,200. mg daily) Good for bones and thinning skin.

5. Two tablespoons of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

6. I do drink coffee but will be cutting back. I already eat as much organic as I can (Ralphs market organic is not pricey) I already eat lots of greens and protein.

NOTE: If I don't see any effects in 3 months I will add MSM and a product called Beauty Infusion which is a powdered mixture of Hyaluronic Acid, Biotin, Alpha Lipoic Acid Hdrolyzed NeoCell Collagen, mixed with other minerals, and start drinking Whole Fat Milk.

I do want to check into this oil swishing?

I'll check back and let you now how my skin is doing!

Helpful - 1
I have and continue to do all these things except for the full fat milk. Instead of the gelatin, I use marine collagen. I used gelatin and it made my migraines worse. While I am taking all these things (for almost 12 years now), my arms had a little wrinkle party.
I have seriously wrinkly skin on my arms and thighs. This happened pretty quickly and I like many of you am going around in long sleeves and slacks or yoga pants.  To the person who posted get a pair of weights and get over it (I paraphrase). To others who understand the problem and mentioned weight gain.  Weights will not do the job if one has sever loss of skin elasticity.  There are  also those of us who are limited by osteoarthritis in the use of weights. Also, for me anyway, weight gain has not helped. Well meaning people told me that I was too thin. I have gained 12 pounds and not an ounce has gone to my arms.To the opinionated person who said quit wanting to be a cute young thing forever: You have not a clue as to what is in our minds; I guarantee that it has nothing to do with being a cute young thing.

On a more positive note, I am going to try the suggestions about supplementing with magnesium and iodine.  Thank you for your suggestions.
Helpful - 1
Well said. x
"Exposed to a dessicant?" What / how? I have the same symptoms.
Helpful - 1
This HAS to be a genetic issue. I am 51 years young, blonde hair, fair skin, blue eyes, of Scandinavian decent. My skin had always been dry and thin, but extreme wrinkling and sagging did literally occur over night this year. I always looked younger than my years, and still do if fully clothed. Oh, and people do notice! My niece wondered aloud why her mom (a year younger than I) looked so much younger due to my arm wrinkles. My mother-in-law, who is almost 80 and smoked most of her adult life, is 50 pounds over weight, and eats a high sodium/processed food diet has younger looking skin and less wrinkles on her arms and legs than I do. So, my life of moderate sun, non-smoking, eating organic / balanced diet, and keeping physically fit has given me the oldest looking arms and knees! Yet others I know who are in the sun more than I, smoke, and have unhealthy lifestyles still look amazing. One thing I will not do is give up on wearing shorts or sleeveless tops, even though I know my skin looks awful. It is bad enough going through menopause and being hot all the time – I don’t think I could handle having long sleeves and pants on during my hot flashes!  
Helpful - 1
Women who have some extra weight on them seem to age much more gradually. That is probably due to the fact that fat produces estrogen. And surgical menopause tends to hasten aging because the drop in estrogen is so sudden and severe plus these women also lose 50% of their testosterone overnight. Even women who have hysterectomies who still have their ovaries have lower testosterone levels than intact women. Testosterone is also important for skin health.
Helpful - 0
Just discovered this thread as exactly the same is now happening to me. I'm very depressed about it as I've always been slim,fit and had enviable arms. I've now moved to a hot climate where long sleeves are out of the question. My face looks young but now the granny arms are getting worse - don't even get me started about additional sagging and ugly elbow skin.
Is any of this reversible,do any supplements or hormones help? Notice his thread is old, did things deteriorate further or did anyone find any solutions - help please.
Helpful - 0
Ughhh dont get me started on Levoquin or Avelox and Cipro. Dreadful Antibiotics and they should be taken off the market.. I only took one  Avelox and experienced some alarming side effects.levoquin was a littel easier but after 5 days i could hardly get out of bed because i hurt so much and the nightmares where just alarming.Ok nothing to do with Menopause i know..sorry..I,m also going through Meno and my skin has gotten very dry and kinda saggy... Miserable isnt it.
Helpful - 0
I know, menopause is not fun...but it is a natural progression.  I think of the pains as growing older pains, much like growing pains when we were kids.  It will pass as our growing pains did.  Then we will be feeling great...it just takes some time to get here.  We are in the 3rd stage of our lives and we have to go through crap to get there.  I, too, cannot WAIT for it to be over.  But, I'm trying my best to put a positive and humorous spin on it...or else I may have to bite someone's head off!
Sorry for making light, it's the way I can get through the body aches, mood swings, etc.  However, I have been on Menersa for about 5 or 6 months now and it has made a DRAMATIC difference in how I feel.  It is all natural and that, for me, is a good thing.

Best to everyone,
Kesta
Helpful - 0
What is Menersa. I’ve not heard of it. Was this prescribed by your OB/GYN?
BTW...my skin is doing the same thing.  Yuck!  I'm going to try Gold Bond's cream.  They have something for, what sounds like, that kind of thing.  I know that hydration and using lotion everyday seems to help some.  I am trying to make friends with my older self...it's the only way I'll ever be happy!  It's not easy. :)
Helpful - 0
OMG I just had the same thing happen! I was unhappy, lost weight but now am ok, just a few pounds under still and thin BUT whoa, what is up w/ the sagging skin by the elbows?? I HATE IT. Seems like it happened overnight!!  I am 49. Used to work out a ton but stopped so it is good to hear that it happens to those that still work out. It has to be hormonal? UGH UGH UGH. Loose skin even though I have always had thin arms. Is it lack of estrogen? Will hormone replacement drugs make  it tighten up?  Please post if you find out!
Helpful - 0
I don't have a solution for sagging skin, but I did try the Gold Bond lotion and it works wonders!  The crepe-like skin is nearly gone!  Hydration was what my skin needed.  I've also been using it on my chest area and it is working great.
If I come across something for the loose skin I will certainly share.
Good luck ladies. :)
Helpful - 0
OMG!!  46, will be 47 in June.  Can't even tell you how everything seems to be failing, wrinkling, etc. & yes, it seems like it happened overnight.  Perimenopausal as well.  Had complete check up recently & no major health issues. However, my gyno has me hrt's(which I REALLY want to get off of).  Added into the mix of all the skin issues mentioned, I am losing my hair like CRAZY.  Anyone else having hair loss issues?  Thought it might be a thyroid thing, but had full work-up done on thyroid & apparently it is functioning normally.  
Helpful - 0
Yes! All of this - and glad to hear about the Gold Bond, which is an ancient product someone gave me while I was in the hospital and I couldn't believe how great it worked and smelled great!  I've just recently noticed the elbow thing and am FREAKED OUT! I do believe it's related to hormones but could also be illness and weight loss... But the good news is that I do find that my hands really respond when I moisturize and - a big help - use gloves when I wash dishes.

The other thing is I recently lost a bunch of weight too, and that's when I noticed the skin on my elbows. I think at least some of the problem is from the weight loss, which makes some sense. I figure if I exercise my arms, it'll "pick up" some of the slack, so to speak!

As far as cipro and levaquin - have you been really sick lately? These antibiotics are often given for heavyduty infections. So maybe your issues will resolve when your body regains balance?
Helpful - 0
RE: Cipro & Levaquin:

No, I was given a heavy-duty dose as a prophylactic against a possible infection and was in excellent health, which is no longer the case since I got hit with systemic damage from these meds. I started noticing what had always been relatively oily skin drying out — permanently — within two weeks  of finishing the drug and within a year I had gone from having very youthful skin to extremely dry, loose skin everywhere: face, neck, elbows, hands, knees, eyelids, you name it. Awful. Vein and joint damage too.  I remain interested in knowing whether anyone else reporting skin problems here was prescribed a quinolone within the year or so before they surfaced.  These drugs attack collagen, elastin, and apparently send free radical formation into overdrive, all of which contribute to aging. These effects are all documented; wish I'd known, not to mention my doctor, before I took the meds.
Helpful - 0
Ladies, I empathize with all of you completely. I am a post-menopausal 60 yr old who, I am told by everyone I know & many I don't, that I look 45 - which is great to hear, but when the summer clothes come out I could just cry (and do). Weigh 112, but my butt, thighs and upper arms are a disaster. The saggy skin, dry wrinkly skin, bumpy skin....where did it all come from? I'm actually embarrassed to show myself naked in front of my husband of 29 years, who assures me I'm still gorgeous - until I see his eyes sneak to my upper arms or thighs and quickly away. I'm due back to my naturopath to have another hormone balance test - but am stopping at the drug store this evening to get some Gold Bond - have heard it does help a lot and all these lotions I spend a fortune on don't seem to help much. I do know that hydration is extremely important - evening primrose oil taken in capsule form (be careful of too much tho; can cause diarrhea) can help somewhat. I refuse to accept this as part of the aging - I've had fantastic skin, legs, arms all my life so this is really really hard to take. Guess it's a fight that will continue to the end of our days!!! I say, accept who you are but by god, if you're not happy with how you look, keep active, eat organic, drink lots of water (I'm working on the no caffeine) and above all, a positive outlook is huge! I still go sleeveless and it's not easy but I refuse to do the "mature woman" look. The thighs are another story....
Helpful - 0
I am  now 70 but when I was 57 I developed the same 90 year old arms.  At 64 however,   when I started using  brewers  yeast and flaxseed in my morning oats,  I  unexpectedly noticed that  my arms looked more juicy and muscular.  After some months my whole  body looked athletic with rippling  muscles and  gorgeous  young skin. Just recently  again,  within months my arms and now my legs too have deteriorated badly.  Before both periods I was extremely stressed.  Reversing it must be possible  as it happened to  me once.
Wow, good to know starmoongirl!
Wow! Amazing! Thx for this info! I hope you get your smooth, lovely skin back again!
hi ladies,
anyone have issues with excessive hair loss during all this???  losing it like crazy & no drs. can figure out why!!  HELP!!!
Helpful - 0
Stress will cause hair loss.  A friend tried the supplement "Biotin" and it worked for her.  Although, she did complain that 'all her body' hair grew. LOL
Helpful - 0
I have the same problem and just recently I had the Afirm Laser procedure done on my neck and my arms from hand to shoulder completely.  After that I had a peel done on them.  I notice a HUGE difference.  The Affirm laser tightened and the peel did even more.  It cost $450. for the laser and then $100. for the peel so it was not cheap but I feel much more comfortable showing my arms now.   I was told that the tightening of the skin will continue over the next few months.
Helpful - 0
Wow. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
That’s encouraging news.
The cost factor you mention is MUCH less than I would have guessed. Did you see a dermatologist for these procedures or an aesthetician?  What part of the country do you live in, your age, recent weight loss, etc. Knowing those factors certainly would help. Thanks!
Regarding the hair loss, when I started going through menopause at age 47 I would find a hair ball in the shower.  Lasted for a while and then stopped.  I've read that hair loss can be attributed to a lack of estrogen. So not sure if you're at that age or not.  Hair loss is also a symptom that some people with lupus deal with.  I've had some estrogen issues just recently and have noticed my skin is a lot drier than usual, probably a result of the lowering estrogen.
Helpful - 0
Hair loss can happen for many reasons.
Hormone imbalances of all types - thyroid, estrogen, testosterone, pituitary glands, along with stress, illness, poor nutrition, anorexia or
bulemia, etc.  Check with your Dr
For tightening skin a bit, I suggest Nourish Skin Tight.  It has helped my arms (esp by the crease when you bend your elbow) and my knees!   I began using it 5 years ago, and to me it has made a world of difference.  It USE to work better,however, when it had more DMAE (which is a skin tightener), but I am still pretty happy with the results, as my skin does NOT sag when I lean over in bed to put my arms around the chest of my 41 year old man (and I am 58!) ;-)  
Helpful - 0
What is Nourish Skin Tight?
I also want to add that it doesn't work for everyone, but for me most definitely.  However, I do use it 3 times a day! AND I also want to mention that after 2 weeks, I had noticed a difference.  I really cannot live without it and when I went to Europe for 6 months, I took 8 bottles!!!! :-)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Menopause Community