Aa
A
A
A
Close
Menopause Community
3.08k Members

Surgical Menopausal Anxiety/Panic Attacks

I had a complete hysterectomy last June at the age of 47 due to sever Endometriosis and recurrent cysts on the ovaries.  Due to the risks of HRT, I chose to take my menopause and get it over with.  While the hot flashes and night sweats have been annoying, they are something that I can live with until they stop.  My biggest problem lately has been severe anxiety and panic attacks, which after researching on the internet, have found to be a common occurrence with women who are thrown into surgical menopause.  One woman started experiencing this anxiety 3 years after her surgery...I started experiencing these symptoms after a year but have been under and inordinate amount of stress lately with unemployment and family members who are sick and some dying.  My doctor currently has me on Lexipro to ease the symptoms and I am grateful for it because I could not function otherwise.  I am hoping that once the stresses in my life lessen, I can wean myself off of this medicine and be fine.

My main question is has anyone else experienced this and if so, what treatments did you persue?  And, does anyone know of any natural treatments for anxiety/panic attacks?
1 Responses
1972289 tn?1325881410
I haven't experienced anxiety due to surgical menopause, but I have experienced a lot of anxiety. The Lexapro is a great step; I've been on several different medications at different times and have been able to wean off them when okay. You might look into information on meditation.  The data is REALLY impressive for how helpful it is - and it has a cumulative effect.  So if you do it occasionally for a few minutes that's good, but if you do it regularly for a consistent length of time it's exponentially better.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.