Menopause Community

Surgical Menopausal Anxiety/Panic Attacks

I had a complete hysterectomy last June at the age of 47 due to sever Endometriosis and recurrent cysts on the ovaries.  Due to the risks of HRT, I chose to take my menopause and get it over with.  While the hot flashes and night sweats have been annoying, they are something that I can live with until they stop.  My biggest problem lately has been severe anxiety and panic attacks, which after researching on the internet, have found to be a common occurrence with women who are thrown into surgical menopause.  One woman started experiencing this anxiety 3 years after her surgery...I started experiencing these symptoms after a year but have been under and inordinate amount of stress lately with unemployment and family members who are sick and some dying.  My doctor currently has me on Lexipro to ease the symptoms and I am grateful for it because I could not function otherwise.  I am hoping that once the stresses in my life lessen, I can wean myself off of this medicine and be fine.

My main question is has anyone else experienced this and if so, what treatments did you persue?  And, does anyone know of any natural treatments for anxiety/panic attacks?
I haven't experienced anxiety due to surgical menopause, but I have experienced a lot of anxiety. The Lexapro is a great step; I've been on several different medications at different times and have been able to wean off them when okay. You might look into information on meditation.  The data is REALLY impressive for how helpful it is - and it has a cumulative effect.  So if you do it occasionally for a few minutes that's good, but if you do it regularly for a consistent length of time it's exponentially better.