Menopause Forum

Taking Provera With Ortho Cept

I was taken off Desogen and put on Loestrin FE 24.Gained 24lbs in 2 months. Last month while still on it on day 11 of my cycle my progesterone tested 0.04 It should have been in the range of 3.3-25.6 On day 20 I was negative -0.02 Should have been in the range of 3.3-25.6 I was taken off Loestrin FE24 and put on Ortho Cept. Day 21 this month it was 0.04 should have been in the range of 4.4-28.0 My doctor told me to take 10mg of Provera with Ortho Cept. I am to start on any days 5-8 of my birth control and take it for 10 days and finish out the rest of my birth control pack.
I had my thyroid w/free uptake, cortisol, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone checked. I eat 1200-1500 cal a day and do between 5-8miles a day. Progesterone is the only thing out of balance.
Doesn't it seem like alot to take the Provera and the birth control together?? I read that blood clots can happen at high doses. If I keep taking the Ortho Cept by it's self will my progesterone eventually go up? I filled the script for Provera but asked for generic so I was given Medroxyprogesterone. I am on my 2nd day of a new pack of OrthoCept.
Should I break the pills in pieces and take a 1/4 of it with my birth control pills? I just don't know what to do but doing what my doctor told me does not sit well with me.

Thank you in advance!
Squeaky
From your question, it is unclear why you are taking a birth control pill. If it is for contraception, the level of progestin in your blood may not be the progesterone level measured in the blood test. LoEstrin contains norethindrone acetate which is a type of progestin - a hormone with progesterone like activity as opposed to progesterone per se. Therefore, it might not show up in the blood test for progesterone, even though your body has plenty of progestin for your needs. In general, people should not need to add Provera (which is medroxyprogesterone acetate - a progestin). Don't worry if your progesterone level doesn't go up. Also, the birth control pill prevents you from ovulating so your own progesterone level won't go up either. There is no reason to break your pills into pieces.
Machelle Seibel, MD
Thank you so much taking time out to help everyone that posts questions here. I am greatly appreciative
Before I was switched to Loestrin FE 24  I had a vaginal and pelvic ultrasound the only thing found were cysts on my ovaries. I had more ultrasounds after 7 months of being on Lo for swelling in my uterus and 3 three 3 inch fibroids were found. That explains my swelling but not the weight gain. Then I found that PCOS runs high in people with low levels of progesterone. I took all the findings and lab results to my OBGYN and he agreed with the low progesterone.
I was taken off Loestrin for 2 reasons. The weight gain and  4 out of 7 months that I was on it I stopped having periods. I was instructed to to take the Provera by itself since my progesterone levels were in the negative. I did not want to do that because the chances of pregnancy were  a bit higher. That's when my doctor told me to take the Provera and Ortho Cept together.
I reduced my calorie intake to  1000-1200 and added more cardio.  I still have another 14-15lbs "all" in the middle. With the amount of exercise and food I ate I should not have gained that much weight. It's only when my doctor changed my pills that I packed on the weight. Every doctor I have known swears that birth control does not cause weight gain. I would have to disagree. It's not water weight. I took diuretics one month followed the instructions and not one ounce difference in my clothes or scale. Another month I did the Master Cleanser detox for 7 days where you do not eat ,you only drink fresh squeezed  lemon water and cayenne pepper. Still clothes and scale stayed the same. I was told my ovulation pains are phantom pains. I feel them and soon after I have the stretchy egg-white discharge with bleeding the next day or 2.
When I looked up things in the body that could cause abnormal weight gain lack of progesterone was one of them and also read that it's almost impossible to get the weight off with low progesterone levels. I was a size 4, two months later I was barely fitting into an 8. I am 38 yr. I know premenopause can happen around this age but I'd like not to  think about that. So taking Provera with the Ortho Cept in a lower dose is  not advisable?

Thank You Again,
Squeakyy