Menopause Community

Understanding Medroxyprogesterone

I am perimenopausal , I have had ultrasounds and the lining of my endometrium is normal , my papsmears were all normal . Nov , Dec and January I didnt have a period . February was semi light and March was one gush and that was it.. Now, in April I have been since April 13  bleeding from spotting to light and was put on Medroxyprogesterone April 30 - May 9th today is the 12th and I am bleeding heavy .. I was told to start the Lysteda I originally and preferred to take . Why didnt my period stop ? I thought that was the whole thing with Medroxyprogesterone. Now I have to have a biopsy and blood work . What if it doesnt stop will this medicine be used again ? I do not want a hysterectomy
Because of the prolonged bleeding you should have an ultrasound scan done to see the thickness of the lining of the uterus. D&C and hysteroscopy will be necessary to rule out the risk of hyperplasia and cancer. Depending on the report the medroxy-progesterone can be restarted. Consult a gynaecologist for an evaluation.
Take care and good luck.