Aa
A
A
A
Close
Menopause Community
3.08k Members

Understanding Medroxyprogesterone

I am perimenopausal , I have had ultrasounds and the lining of my endometrium is normal , my papsmears were all normal . Nov , Dec and January I didnt have a period . February was semi light and March was one gush and that was it.. Now, in April I have been since April 13  bleeding from spotting to light and was put on Medroxyprogesterone April 30 - May 9th today is the 12th and I am bleeding heavy .. I was told to start the Lysteda I originally and preferred to take . Why didnt my period stop ? I thought that was the whole thing with Medroxyprogesterone. Now I have to have a biopsy and blood work . What if it doesnt stop will this medicine be used again ? I do not want a hysterectomy
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
Because of the prolonged bleeding you should have an ultrasound scan done to see the thickness of the lining of the uterus. D&C and hysteroscopy will be necessary to rule out the risk of hyperplasia and cancer. Depending on the report the medroxy-progesterone can be restarted. Consult a gynaecologist for an evaluation.
Take care and good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.