Aa
A
A
A
Close
Menopause Community
3.08k Members

ZERO LIBIDO

I am 51 and menopausal/post menopausal.  I'm active and eat healthy but I love my red wine.  I was diagnosed as post menopausal a couple of years ago and then I got a couple of small periods.  Blood work was done and then I wasn't post menopausal and I'm menopausal.  I CANNOT take estrogen so that is out of the question for a couple of different reasons.    My life is falling apart as I am on my 3rd relationship which I am loosing fast because of  zero libido.  I am begging for any help  or advise here.  I have a type A personality.  I research everything and anything, so I'm quite knowledgeable to a point.  I was diagnosed and treatmented for bi-polar for approx 10 yrs (30-40 yrs old).  The drugs never worked and I was miserable with side effects.  It was later found out I had extreme PMS, similar symptoms to bi-polar I'm told.  I was put into clinicial menopause when I was approx 41 yrs old.  I can't remember what it was, it was just a monthly shot in the butt and I had to take progestreon every other month to induce my period, which I hemoraged terribly.  This lasted a year and I can't seem to remember anything good about the whole process.  I always remembered that my PMS peaked every 3 mths which was deadly for me and anyone around me, I could kill!.  At 43 I started with hot flashes, night sweats, heart palpatations and anxiety which an ambulance came a couple of times, scarry!  Once I knew that this was part of the change beyond no return, it made it somewhat easier to deal with. I have also been suffering from chronic pain disorder from some sort of nerve damage in my mouth that started at the same time as all the other ****.  Basically,  it feels like an absence tooth.  When it first started 8 yrs ago I was on  disability for 2 yrs and barely functional.  This problem is to indepth to discuss. I'm better now and it's managable without drugs but my hormones always seem to determine the pain levels.  I have suffered from horrid night sweats for approx 4 years including racing heart.  I don't sleep and can't figure out how I function during the day and I don't ever nap.  I'm extremely tired but I have energy? THE BIG PROBLEM!  My sex drive has been going down hill for approx 10 years and has been at null and void for the last 2 years.  I'm in my third long term relationship within these 10 yrs and about to loose it if something doesn't happen soon.  I have never blamed my partners for wanting to leave, as I can't expect health men to live selibit.  I feel like I'm living in a black whole and just existing.  I find my partner of 5+ yrs very attractive and love him dearly.  My medical file is 2" thick of "hormonal issues" and when I talk to my doctor, whom I respect, I get no anwsers or help, accept she believes it was the drug that put me into clinic menopause in the first place which has screwed me up.  I am going to make an appt with a Naturopath but in the meantime, I went to a Nutrietion House yesterday and told her my problem and she gave me Vitex which has Casteberry in it.  She didn't blind an eye!   I told her I had researched this to death and this had nothing to do with libido.  She said that you had to treat the causing problem, which she said had been my PMS.  I don't suffer like I did with the ragging mood swings but I do notice mood changes etc...which I though was from the lack of sleep.  I do have a very stressful job and I'm working on doing something about that.  Anyways, I just want advise on anything that can at least boost my libido.  I don't want to be alone all my life and I surely don't want to loose my partner.  I apolize for writing so much.
5 Responses
Your story was so enlightening.  Can you help me.  I'm 49yrs old w/hubby and 4 kids.  I've been through menopause and in the last two years have lost my libido...no orgasims.  I need to know what helped you get to boost you libido.  I have stopped taking my anti deppressiant and only take Actonel.  Pls helpl  thanks, Lori
230202 tn?1370797179
Have you both thought about seeing a naturopath or herbalist.  Im not sure if they can help but it's worth a try.  Good luck
230202 tn?1370797179
Have you both thought about seeing a naturopath or herbalist.  Im not sure if they can help but it's worth a try.  Good luck to you both
Can you recommend something or a safe place on the web?  thanks, Lori
230202 tn?1370797179
Lori I dont know of any safe place on the web to be honest. Sorry I cant help you there.  Ask your doctor or find one that belongs to the Naturopath or herbalist society of America. Good luck it will be worth it.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.