Menopause Community

anxiety ??? with menopause

I feel like Im losing my mind !!!!! Im 45 and for the last week its been nothing but clusters of panic attacks !! I was given .25 mg xanax for my last hospital stay in the ICU when they couldnt figure out after echos and stress tests why my heart rate went nuts .. they said it was a normal  sinus rhythm but too fast so they gave me meds to calm them and got them to about 100 beats per min and said that was "normal" Im sorry but I was a e.m.t for many years 60 to 80 is normal and well mine at rest is much lower (normally) but anyway i was able to get them back to my normal rate before they discharged me and now 2 months later in this last week ive taken alot of xanax to calm down ..I was only using it when i felt like my heart was going to race again and managed to only use 10 of my 30 tab script in 2 months but now in the last week ive been taking them every day because i get theses flutters in my heart like its skipping a beats or something then my heart races out of control.. the xanax helps but it takes a while I havent slept well either  ..I feel like Ive lost all control and somedays want to just lie in bed im afraid something is going to set me off into another panic attack and Im so exausted from this I just cant take anymore !! is there anyone who feel like me ??
Oh boy, do I know what you are going through!  I too am 45 years old and I'm right there with you. In fact, it's almost identical to my story.  Only difference is I was perscribed topral to try try to slow the heart down (no Xanax).  Pills did nothing for me except made a bad situation worse when I started experiencing PVC's in addition to the racing.  I literally thought my heart was going to stop beating & I was going to die.  It was horrible!  Now I know what a panic attack really is.  (I ended up in the ER 3 times).   Magnesioum supplements really help me a lot. . .  panic attacks are under control, my heart rate is back to 60 (it races only a few times a day as opposed to the hundreds of times previously), I can finally sleep and my energy level is getting back to normal.   I still have the night sweats & the internal trembling, but all in all, the magnesium has been a lifesaver for me.  I don't have near the number of "bad days" I had been experiencing.

Everyday is a journey.  I'm trying to stay positive, that helps a lot too.  Hang in there and stay stong.  Perimenopause cant last for ever.

Best wishes!
Thank you for responding I was beginning to wonder if i was nuts .. actually lately I was able to calm the panic attacks to about 1 a day but now im still not sleeping and litterly cant function ive been laying on the couch the last couple days my head is pounding and im weak and shaking I just started my period 2 weeks early and Im missing the beautiful weather we are having right now here in CT ...UUUGH its so frustrating I know what your saying about feeling like your gonna die my heart actually felt like it stopped beating a few times and then it jump starts itself again !! I thought it was the end !! and of course that sent me into a panic attack and the lingering feeling like its gonna happen again !!
I feel better knowing there is someone out there like me and Im not going crazy because Ive been thinking Im creating all this drama myself .. If this is premenopause OMG its going to last for years !! i feel like im not gonna make it LOL !!!  SO maybe magnesium is something i should look into ??  I ended up with more symptoms left side of my face feeling numb one night and woke up with night sweats and just feeling like i cant concentrate I find myself zoning out alot ... I dont have a mother to ask how she got through it anymore so this site is helpful and thank god you responded keep me posted on your progress maybe we can hold hands through our journey my boyfriend keeps saying just think your turning into a butterfly = ) he has no idea !! lol  Julianna
Try some relaxation techniques and find a good therapist who uses hypnosis for teaching you ways to relax yourself with meds.. The same thing happened to me this summer and Thought I had an anxiety disorder.. Then you get the panic attacks and the constant worrying about will it happen at work, whats wrong with me, and it causes more of them.. Check at Andrew Johnson's website in Scotland, he has terrific relaxation mp3s if you like.  They have been helping me.  Racing heart is part of menopause and can be caused by HRT.. No one told me that and I am stopping that too.. Magniesium I have heard is a help, Get the heart checked out if it doesn't stop soon.  Maybe a monitor for a couple of days.. That is what my doctor is going to do just to be safe.. Because women's smpytoms of a heart attack can take months and are weird.  Remember that all of these things came on at once, so alot of it is from the menopause and doctors pushing unneeded meds.. The natural way is the best once you make sure you don't have any other medical thing going on.  WOuld be happy to share my thoughts.. My mom passed when I was young so I don't have anyone to ask about it either.
Hi again!  I really like reading all the posts on here and knowing I'm not the only one with all these problems!  The anxiety is getting worse and xanax is the only thing I've found to put me to sleep (.5 mg - not too big of a dose thank goodness).  But I find I get really nauseated during the day and early evening.  It's never ending anymore.  Tomorrow I'm going to see a new Cardiologist (with a 5-star rating--- yay!) for my high blood pressure spikes which is so scary.  I hope he can do something for me.  It's hard to find a doctor who will spend time with you and not just say, here's another prescription.   See you back in 4 months.   Four months is a long time to wait while the bp spikes, have anxiety attacks, have nausea, insomnia and honestly feel like I'm not going to survive this.  I find myself repeating the same stuff all the time... it's just a hard time right now.  I wish we could all keep in touch and help eachother somehow!  Just by knowing there are others going through similar situations helps alot.  Take care.  Jean.
sounds like anxiety to me. But it could also be depression to from menopause. I am 47 and haven't had a period for almost 2 yrs now. For the last year or two I have had hot flashes,etc. My doctor upped my antidepressant,and has now given Ativan to take as needed.And so far it has helped. Plus he suggested taking Estroven at night too. Menopause is such a weird thing.
I'm glad to see I am not the only one. I'm 48 and my period stopped 3 years ago.  When the happened I started having panic attacks, couldn't breath, felt like I was about to die etc.  My doc told me it's part of menopause.  He put me on Xanax.  I only take it when I'm having the panic attack. I really hate menapuse.  I get tingly numbness in my head and now my gums are bleeding.  This really *****.  I'm going to the doctor this week to check out the tingly numbness thing out.