Men's Health Community

Blood in Urine

My son is 18 years old.  1 1/2 years ago in failed a physical due to having red blood cells in his urine.  IVP and scope procedures were done and found nothing.  Recently he went to his PCP for fever and headaches.  There his urine showed very red with alot of blood.  Since the blood showed in his urine, it was not as bad as it is now.  What do you think could be happening.
He should be seen by a Urologist!
The causes of haematuria (blood in the urine) are very long but some of them include:
- Kidney stones
- Prostate problems (unlikely in such a young man)
- Infection or inflammation of the kidneys, ureter (tube which connects the kidney to the bladder), bladder and urethra.

Another cause of blood in the urine is cancer but this is extremely unlikely in someone as young as your son and is usually associated with long term exposures to chemical dyes such as those used in the rubber industry. He should be seen by a health professional.

Best wishes.
He has seen a urologist and has been for 1 1/2 year.  Just recently, it has gotton worse to where you can see the blood by the naked eye.  I think I should go to a different specialist?
Blood in the urine can be caused by vigorous exercise or certain activities e.g. marathon runners and horseriders can suffer from it. I'm assuming the doctor has done a blood test and had the urine examined for any abnormalities. Maybe the doctor is certain that nothing sinister is causing it. However, I would recommend that anyone with blood in their urine visible to the naked eye undergo testing to find the cause.

Best wishes.