Men's Health Community

Bumps of various sizes on the back of my throat, behind uvula

Hello I'm currently 19 years old.  I've been smoking weed for the past 4ish years on a fairly regular basis (1-2 spliffs w/ 10% tobacco, 90% marijuana). Before I go into what's scaring me I'd like to mention that I've been going through serious anxiety issues lately and have never worried the way I currently am over a physical illness.

Anyways, about 2 days ago I woke up with a horrible sore throat. I only slept for 3 hours, and to the best of my knowledge I had no sore throat proir to going to bed. I had smoked earlier in the night using a vaporizer (something i rarely do) as well as a spliff. I examined my throat in the mirror (something I've never really done before) and noticed that the back of my throat had various sized fleshy bumps (by fleshy I mean the same color as a healthy throat). Directly behind my uvula was a bump slightly larger than the others but similar in color. They are scattered over the back of my throat and clearly visible when I shine a light into my mouth and yawn. I also feel slighty sick... while I don't have a fever I just feel a little ill, weak, and have a slightly smaller appetite than usual. I've had the same sexual partner for years, there is no possibility of an STD.

I would like to know if this is something to seriously worry about or something that will likely go away in a few days. Thanks, I'm extremely worried and anxious over this.
BTW the primary thing worrying me is that it's an early form of cancer..
My best guess would be a "cobblestone" throat. What causes this, you'll have to do an online search. If memory serves me right, this isn't much to worry about but it wouldn't hurt to get checked by a general physician.
Let's just say, I'd be very suprised if it were anything serious.

As for your first statement, trust me...A-LOT of people have or do feel this way. It is from anxiety. Either a health worry brings it out or the anxiety brings out worry of health.

You may be feeling "icky-pooey" because you are coming down with something...of little concern. Just get it checked out for peace of mind. Again, I would be suprised if it was anything other than minor.
Thanks for the response it does make me feel slightly more secure.. However what has really started to bug me is the fact that right behind my uvula is a bump significantly larger than the others. I can only see it when I "yawn" and raise my uvula up... The total size is about 1/4inch by 1/10inch and it is a fairly similar color to the flesh in my throat... It's not quite as red as the others but its significantly larger. Does anyone have any idea what could cause such a thing? It really looks mostly like a swollen gland or  something but I'm really worried that it's something much more serious, such as cancer or a tumor.

Any other input would be appreciated.. this anxiety is incredibly painful I really wish offices were open tomorrow :(
Still it doesn't sound worrisome to the extent that you are worrying about it.

A "bug" or irritation can be causing it. I've experienced these and have wondered if post nasal drip or reflux kind of "fire" them up.

If you want to be absalute certain, how about making an appointment with an ENT or Oral surgeon. It's the only way you will feel confident in knowing what is and is not going on.

If "ailments" send you into panick (thinking the worst), you may want to look into "health anxiety."

i have the same thing , this cobblestone throat where i feel slightly ill, but i feel like i might be allergic to smoking because last night i smoked a black and my throat got much worse, so i refuse to smoke anymore because when i don't smoke and i take care of myself, then and take an advil i feel fine but i only saw this a week ago does anybody know how to make it go away
i have the same thing in the back of MY throat but without the sickness feelings and all that other stuff. i was worried about it being throat cancer as well.

i have one larger bump like you in the center of my throat and various small ones, but im not sick all the time, or any of the time for that matter, but i do smoke kretek's (clove cigarettes) which made me concerned about a tumor..

anyone have any input?
Has anyone gotten any answers about this stuff? I also have the same problems & then some. Quit smoking, scared I'm dying & no one around here is smart enough to figure it out, so, I'm to the point of leaving it all in Gods hands, since he is the best doctor, considering he made everyone of us. Does anyone have any advice or have you gotten answers from visiting doctors where you are from?
Hey DONT WORRY!

So I am 16 and have recently got the same thing and spent a lot of time freaking out. It was the worst sore throat I had ever had and I had some heart burn after about I had the sore throat for a week. After loosing ten pounds I decided to go to the doctor. She said it was a virus and put me on antibiotics just incase. NOTHING HAPPEND after finishing the antibiotics I felt worse and was even more worried. I then proceeded to go to another doctor after thinking I had cancer from these stupid websites. He immediately new what was wrong after he looked in my throat. I have GE reflux from smoking (every day may I add). The hot smoke irritates the esophagus and that makes acid come up and irritates your throat or something like that. This really does sound exactly like my problem and I have been taking acid reflux meds and have chilled out on the smoking and I feel great. You really need to see a doctor just incase it is something else and GE reflux can get worse and cause other things. GOOD LUCK and chill with the smoking and don’t drink for a while(if you do)

And if you do have reflux hang in there it will get better
Oh my god! I am so happy in away that I found this board! I was 100% sure I had cancer or something, i totally freaked out and have not ate for days! I went to the doctor who was pretty useless because he said he couldnt see anything down my throat (he hardly looked). I am to scared to go back again cause I will look a bit silly plus im pretty scared.

Anyhow, At the very back of my throat, in the centre, but like a bit down on the back wall i have 2 raised bumps which are heathly throat coloured, but when I swallow they turn white and the healthy colour slowly come back in seconds.. Theres a larger one lower and right by it there is a smaller one, sometimes i wake up and they are more reddish but throughout the day they go back to normal. I think I may have this cobblestone throat. They do not hurt at all, and I dont have a sore throat... Sometimes it feels strange when I swallow but I think Im just being paranoid. Ive freaking so bad about this! Thinking it was HIV, Cancer or something! I dunno, Its scared me so much!

Also, to add to peoples research and theorys... I used to smoke for like 5months, I stopped for 1 months and last week I started again! I went out on Friday Night and bummed like 5 ciggies off random people (All different makes including some mint cigs which tasted like ****) I smoke weed every so often but aint smoked it for a few weeks, anyhow.... I look in the mirror on Sunday and I notice them!!!!

Hope this helps people, I feel 50% better now reading this board! Im gonna wait a few days and I may go back and see another doctor and tell him about my findings on the net!!
Sorry guys, need to add to my post above.
The best way to describe the little bumpy spots at the back of my throat is like a Stinging Nettle sting? I dunno what you guys call them in America or around the world but In England we have Stining Nettles which if you touch the points on the plant they sting you, and your skin has little stops that raise up a bit bit, its looks like more of a stinging nettle sting in my throat
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I took my son sto a specialist yesterday and he said that it could be caused by acid reflex or allergies.  He has given him medicine for acid reflex and allergy medicine.
Please or to view.
I've never smoked and the doc said I have cobblestone throat. I have two good size bumps in my throat. One the size of an eraser of a pencil, that's good size. The doc said nothing to worry about but Im thinking what if they get bigger. They came from no where and with out warning( no sore throat) I feel like I always have something in my throat now.
I am also having problems with my throat and have lumps on my uvula as well as pain further back and feeling of having a swollen tongue. I was wondering if anyone ever got a definate diagnosis? I too suffer from anxiety which I am doing something about and am four weeks into CBT to tackle my health anxiety problem. Ive got myself convinced that Ive got the start of throat cancer and the ongoing lumpy feeling when I swallow doesnt help to alleviate my fears. My doctor said that although the lumps arent normal theyre not anything that looks worryingly abnormal. Ive got an ENT appointment next week which I am counting down the days to as I just want someone to tell me whats in my throat and how to get rid of it. It feels like there is a hair stuck in the back of my throat constantly. Has anyone found anything that gets rid of the feeling of discomfort?
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Thanks so much for the update....My next Dr.s appointment is scheduled for the 3rd. That's when my blood work results are due back. I have been trying to find a way to see an ENT that will not charge me and arm and leg. I have on medical insurance, so it is difficult finding somewhere to go.  I am trying to keep my mind busy on other things to try and forget about this feeling in my throat, but it's not easy. I tend to feel it more just after eating. I was pleased to hear that your appointment went well. For the past two nights I have taken a quarter dose of the Xanax (for Anxiety) to help me sleep. I think it has helped a little, today I had more energy than previous days. I'll take another quarter dose tonight. I just want to get over this and feel like myself again, the way I did just 4weeks ago. Your response was greatly appreciated, thank you again. Take Care.
Please or to view.
It is frustrating seeing Dr. after Dr. only for them to tell you "Everything looks normal." When for us obviously everything is not normal. I'm still awaiting blood work results and even if they come back "normal" I'm still going to try and see and ENT to have my throat looked at with a scope. It's hard for me because I got sick while unemployed and no medical insurance, but I'm not giving up. This feeling in my throat (since end of June) has really weighed heavy on my psyche. Hope some Dr. out there finds relief for us who suffer (and i do mean suffer) from this ailment. Your not alone.
Please or to view.
Omgoshhh I'm sooo happy I found this webpage you guys are the best!!! I seriously thought I was the only person in the world going through the same thing. I too have bumps in the back of my throat. One big one on the sidwe of where my tonsils use to be and two smaller ones on the bottom of it. It also looks like I have a bunch of little ones on the other side of where my tonsil use to be but they look very different. I also have what appears to be a white scratch which a dentist thought was a lesion and inflamation. But none of which hurt. Doctors have told me it looks viral, a nurse told me it looks like the following: cobblestone, scar tissue of when I removed my tonsils, or it's always been there. A nurse even told me it might be an ulcer due to stress but I thought ulcers hurt. I do get the feeling like it's harder to swallow and it tenses up feeling like it hurts sometimes but it go's away...HELPPP ME DIAGNOSEE!!!  My biggest fear is that it could be cancer or oral HPV =(
Please or to view.
I cant believe I found others who are experiencing the same thing. I have one big lump in the back of my throat and the rest are all over the back of my throat. At night time I get a dry throat from it and during the day its just uncomfortable. It makes me feel ill and have a headache and not able to think clear.

WHen I went to the DR. they said it was a bacteria infection at first, when the antibiotics didn't work they said it was allergies and then a specialist confirmed it and perscribed me some allergie medicine that I took for quite a while and it didn't help me, soo now I'm convinced that it's not allergies and something else.  

NOw I go to see the ENT (specialist) she told me it was acid reflux and perscribed me prilasec and that sh** didn't work either. Now I'm scared that it could be cancer or HPV. If someone else could relate please let me know what other medicine I could try. I'm open to Herbal remedies too.
I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TODAY AND HE SAID I HAVE A COBBLE STONE THROAT... IT CAN BE CAUSED BY POST NASAL DRIP AND IT IS NOT DANGEROUS. IT WILL GO AWAY MAYBE FATER ALLERGY SEASON. I WAS SO SCARED BEFORE I WENT, BUT THE ENT SPECIALIST SAID ITS NOT ANYTHING SERIOUS. PEOPLE DONT WORRY SO MUCH!!! IM SURE EVERYTHING IS FINE :)
wow you guys make me feel not so lonely.  I am a 18 year old who never had sex or smoked, only kissed before but now i have these bumps in my throat and i am sooooo scared.  I was thinking it could be HPV since you could get it from kissing and at least now i know im not alone.  It doesnt hurt or itch or anything but these bumps is always on my mind.  I normally get a sore throat in the morning which goes away after i drink something and i do often feel a mucus buildup in the throat which i have to spit out and i was wondering are these bumps caused by the mucus buildup?
hello
I got a bump in the back of my throat..My throat hurts in the morning or every time i drink some acid drinks when i go  to sleep and wake up my throat hurts like hell. I went to the Dr the other day and i had some small spots in mouth and he was like Herpes i was like until u take blood don't diagnose me these dr's get paid to tell u what they think not what they no, I got a appointment with the ENT dr on monday can't wait until he tell me something i am so worried..My anxiety is off the chain..
1