Men's Health Community

Calf Weakness

I herniated the L5-S1 disk in my back and had severe sciatica going down the left leg.  I've had a microdiscectomy performed and now I have no more sciatic nerve pain.  However, I do still have severe weakness in my left calf; I can't even push up on the ball of my left foot.  The doctor told me that this is due to muscular atrophy and prescribed exercises to strengthen the muscle, however I don't know if he's aware of how bad this is.  I disagree that this is all due to atrophy (no noticeable difference in size of calf on either leg) and I think it's nerve damage.
I'd like to know if this is caused by nerve damage and if so, what can I do about it?  What is the prognosis?
where did you have the microdiscectomy done at?

I am having the same type of weakness and it seems to be due to the nerve. It just started last Thursday. and is already weak. it would lead me to believe it is not atrophy. If you get a good answer please post it.