Aa
A
A
A
Close
Men's Health Community
13.8k Members

Calf Weakness

I herniated the L5-S1 disk in my back and had severe sciatica going down the left leg.  I've had a microdiscectomy performed and now I have no more sciatic nerve pain.  However, I do still have severe weakness in my left calf; I can't even push up on the ball of my left foot.  The doctor told me that this is due to muscular atrophy and prescribed exercises to strengthen the muscle, however I don't know if he's aware of how bad this is.  I disagree that this is all due to atrophy (no noticeable difference in size of calf on either leg) and I think it's nerve damage.
I'd like to know if this is caused by nerve damage and if so, what can I do about it?  What is the prognosis?
1 Responses
where did you have the microdiscectomy done at?

I am having the same type of weakness and it seems to be due to the nerve. It just started last Thursday. and is already weak. it would lead me to believe it is not atrophy. If you get a good answer please post it.
Top Men's Health Answerers
1622896 tn?1562364967
London, United Kingdom
139792 tn?1498585650
Indore, India
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Sean Cummings discusses which available erectile dysfunction treatments may have the best outcome for you
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
10 prostate cancer misconceptions debunked.