Men's Health Community
13.4k Members
Avatar universal

Can I have a voluntary bilateral orchiectomy

I am a 25 year old male. All throughout my life I have had issues with my testicles sometimes partially rotating and causing pain in an event I think to be a self resolving testicular torsion. A little over a year ago I sustained an trauma injury to my left testicle but did not have insurance so I didn’t immediately get it checked out. Following the injury my testicle was initially swollen but I would wake up some mornings or at night to find the entire testicle rotated 45 degrees from its normal resting position and shrunken with a hardness entirely to the touch and diminished sensation. These symtoms eventaully resolved but a slight heavy sensation in the left inguinal region has been present ever since that and can vary from a slight awkward feeling to discomforting to the point that it inhibits exercise and walking normal. I would describe the feeling as having one testicle pulled as close to the body as possible while having the other hang normal, which sometimes is the actual case, my left testicle will be raised much more then normal which I have read can indicate injury. Also this hardness described earlier happens with ejaculation along with dull pain and sensitivity to the effected testicle along with a lump that forms in the epididymis that subsides overtime. I eventually did get it checked out but after three visits and a doctor that does not beleive my symptoms electing to do STD testing each time (which came back negative). I would like to take control of my situation. Kids are not important to me, but even so I have already had sperm frozen and stored. My testicles have been a major source of discomfort to me and I am wondering if I can voluntarily elect to have them removed and potentially replaced with prosthetics for aesthetic purposes as well as recieve hormone replacement therapy to control my hormones and sex drive. I realize this may sound extreme, but it is my body and a choice I would like to consider.

Thanks to all for your feedback
2 Responses
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
15695260 tn?1549596713
Hello and welcome to MedHelp Forums.  We thought we'd provide some more information for those reading as to what exactly this procedure is and entails.  https://www.webmd.com/cancer/what-is-orchiectomy#2

I don't think you'd receive any insurance coverage for such a procedure if done electively rather than for a medical diagnosis but if you are paying out of pocket, you can discuss with any surgeon of your choosing to see if they would perform this procedure.  It is not common and I'd suspect it would be difficult to find a conforming surgeon for this type of voluntary procedure.  Let us know what you find out.  best of health to you.
Top Men's Health Answerers
1622896 tn?1530732573
London, United Kingdom
139792 tn?1498589250
Indore, India
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Sean Cummings discusses which available erectile dysfunction treatments may have the best outcome for you
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
10 prostate cancer misconceptions debunked.