Men's Health Community

Continuation of 'Penis hard when flaccid' thread...

Hey guys. I've been suffering from a similar problem as most of you. Most days penis is smaller and hard when flaccid, lowered sex drive, can't get full erections in this state like I used to, rarely get morning wood, when erect penis it's so stiff that you cannot bend it left and right slightly, and so on. In my case however all this goes away after I don't masturbate or have sex for about 5 days. Then upon ejaculation the 'hard flaccid penis' comes back to haunt me.

For me this started 6 months ago after one night when I had done ecstacy. I've found at least 3 other people on the internet with the exact same problem that started after a night on ecstasy. I've done countless research online and went through every forum with people who report 'hard flaccid penis'. A lot of us share the same symptoms which leads me to believe that the problem derives from one source, be it poor circulation, nerve damage, or imbalanced hormones, but yet nobody has made the connection.  

I too suffer from a back injury as some others, but I definitely ruled out the theory that this is caused by spine problems. My back pains come and go, but the penis problem is uncorrelated. In my particular case I am convinced that this was brought by ecstacy becasue others have reported the exact same symptoms and timing. This could mean that E either messed up my serotonin levels, or messed up my circulation somehow. Heat does help 'soften' up my flaccid penis somewhat as others have mentioned. Also there is a possbility that I, as well as many of you, have some form of prostatitis. We need to go get that checked out. If that is the case than the good news is that it is treatable.

So I've narrowed it down to three possibilities for my case:
- Prostatitis
- Unbalanced circulation or hormone levels caused by the MDMA
- some weird STD (I've had unprotected sex numerous times, but this option is very unlikely as it started the morning after I have done mdma).

I am going to get checked out next week and I will post my findings.
In the case that this is due to some circulation problems amongst most of us, from my research I recommend you all to start taking Omega-3 fish oils and L'arginine ethyl ester (helps increase and improve blood flow) on a daily basis. Further look into Ginko Biloba, but I'm unsure about the effectiveness of this. Also wrap a hot towel around your penis once a day.
If this is due to hormonal imbalances, such as serotonin levels in my case, then the key is a balanced diet, a multi-vitamin, sunshine, physical exercise and give your penis a lot of rest. Perhaps try to go for weeks without sex if possible.

I have just started applying all of this for myself. I'm going to a doctor next week and will post my results. Whoever has valid imput or knows a thing or two around medicine and neuroscience please share! We are going to get through this with doctors or without!

This discussion is related to Penis hard even in flaccid state.
You may add an Naturopathy treatment. MEHAN SNAN- PENIS  BATH.: Stretch the foreskin of the penis and pour water on the stretched part for 15 minutes a day. Nerve endings at the tip of the foreskin will get stimulated, normalizing the nerve pathways or blood circulation. If circumsized, pat perinium with water dripping cloth for 15 minutes a day.
You may studey Kundalini yoga, Tantric sex, Taoist yoga, Kegel exercises. Anmolmehta.com is quite comprehensive web site. you may find some technique useful to you. wish you best of luck.
Hello everyone,
I have been making detailed notes, documenting and recording mine and others symptoms for about 2 months now and reading these forums, comparing everything.  Here is what I have:

Can anyone relate to all or most of these points?

1. Great variations in size, texture, feeling:

- 25-50% of the time is loose, normal size
- Sometimes light-weight sorta like it has an internal sponge cake texture or filling.  Has a basic structure and shape, almost 'normal.'
- Sometimes engorged with blood, very heavy, lead weight.  No structure, plump, very dead-like.
- Sometimes takes on a weird 'coke bottle' shape.  Like a band is restricting around the middle, while full and plump near the glans.
- Sometimes after the firm-flaccid condition 'releases' for a bit, there is itching on the left and right penile shaft.  This can be a symptom of varicose vein formation.

- 50-100% of the time very firm or hard, while retracted to less than normal flaccid length.
- Varicose and/or spider veins forming.
- A 1/2" 'dimple' forming on the fatty pad of the groin, right where the shaft connects.
- A feeling of the penis being 'pulled' in.
- A 'brittle' or' shell-shocked' feeling in the penis when this has persisted for a day or two.
- Visible stress to skin, wrinkling, color spots, redness, irritation, etc.

2.  A common complaint is left-side veins 'popping' out or becoming much more prominent, also sometimes accompanied by some pain.  I've heard some complain of right-side issues, but I personally have not had much of an issue with that side.

3.  Shorter length.
- Usually nocturnal erections are normal length, and sometimes spontaneous are normal length, but many times, especially when other symptoms are present it can be difficult to get to full-length erection...and doing so usually results in some irritation and/or pain afterward.

4. Nocturnal erections variations
- Sometimes no nocturnal erections.
- Sometimes weak nocturnal erections.  Not fully rigid.
- Sometimes 'stuck' nocturnal erections that won't go down unless you get up and move around.  I am plagued with this about 30-40% of nights...having to get up every couple of hours and make it go down so a priapism doesn't occur.  Otherwise it's irritated the next day.  I take aspirin for this to prevent inflammation or scarring.

Ok, well I have seen 2 doctors so far and am going to another after Christmas (an andrologist).  I have formulated some ideas, and am looking for input or to get the message out there about this condition.  Urology doesn't seem to have any diagnosis for this, but perhaps we can change that, or perhaps the field of Andrology (erection doctor) can take up the issue.

Here are my ideas:

1.  Veins are not actually 'popping' out on left side, or growing larger (at least not without being compressed first).  They are showing up in relief of the pressure around them - of the skin being drawn up.  The veins haven't changed, the skin has been drawn tight around them...like when you take something and put in a vacuum bag and remove the air.  It forms a surface that follows the contents exactly.

2.  Physiological influence has greatly increased it's effects on these symptoms.  Particularly the release of natural adrenaline, noradrenaline, and other psychosomatic stress hormones in the body, etc.  I don't think anyone disagrees that stress and other physical exertion has a big effect on this, but in this case only makes it worse.  It is not the cause of it.  Stress and adrenaline are normal effects in the body, but the result of whatever caused this injury shows up now, with this as its trigger in part.  Before this condition existed, it simply didn't exert change on the penis that much before, so nobody noticed it that much.  I think everyone can probably relate to stress causing an erectile issue, but it is usually short-lived...not persistent.

3.  Varicose or darkening (spider) veins appear when blood flow is reduced or their flow mechanism is interrupted.  Veins have built-in receptors that control constriction, dilation, and flow direction.

4.  Adrenaline and noradrenaline (norepinephrine) both cause smooth muscle contraction, vascular constriction, increased heart-rate, etc.  Working out, getting stressed, etc. is a major contributor to this condition.

5.  Abstaining from sexual activity generally improves my symptoms.  I had to g around and around with this one because there was some conflicting data.  Getting a full erection seems to help...especially when it has lots of time to get to that full size, like at night.  However, I have also noted with regularity that ejaculation can cause an immediate onset of the firm and flaccid condition, even when it wasn't present prior to the event.  Repeated ejaculation in a short time frame magnifies this.

6.  The ejaculation mechanism releases noradrenaline locally to trigger orgasm, and is the reason why a man goes flaccid immediately after sex.  This hormone causes smooth muscle contraction and vascular resistance.  This normally fades away in a few minute to a few hours, but with this condition it persists for even a day or several days.

So, I have come to at least one conclusion...maybe not a cure, but at least some clues as to what this is occurring.  Please don't take my word for it, I only offer as a suggestion and it could be wrong...however maybe it has some merit and somebody can get this condition noticed.

So far, my idea of this is that I tend to think at the heart of this is a circulation issue which leaves the penis abnormally exposed to what normally is the usual hormone function of the sympathetic nervous system and sexual function.
Pinjured_Too, I have experienced an alarming number of your symptoms.  Specifically:

-Variable penis texture and weight (flaccid+firm vs. lighter-than-normal vs. almost normal, etc.).
-Occasional itching on the left and right side, near the base.
-More visible veins throughout the penis.
-Left-side vein prominence.  One left-side vein is much darker than I remember, and stands out the most amongst the aforementioned prominent veins.  In conjunction with this, I occasionally feel a sharp pain on the left-side of my penis that extends to a point left of my anus and within my body slightly.  This pain lasts only a second or two.  I have some fibrous tissue on the left side (which has been there for years), so there may be a link there.
-Penile skin texture variability.  Generally, the skin on my shaft feels looser than normal (reduced elasticity) which I attributed to the abnormally firm corpora cavernosa underneath.  The loose skin symptom did not present itself at the outset of this condition - it came maybe a month into it.  Sometimes the skin also feels cold and clammy.
-Nocturnal erection variations.

In addition, I have these symptoms:

-Reduced sensitivity on the shaft and head, especially when in the firm+flaccid state.
-Reduced libido, which may be a side-effect rather than a cause.
-Reduced energy, depression; again, possibly side-effects.
-Colder penis temperature and lighter glans color, also when in the firm+flaccid state.  When erect, or after taking a warm bath, the reddish/purple color returns to the glans.
-Hemorrhoids, which may or may not have been present when the penile symptoms started.
-Back pain in the lower-left thoracic region.
-More flatulence than usual.
-Pain in the perineum - possibly related to hemorrhoids.

This all started 2 months ago when I woke up in the middle of the night with a numb, engorged, but flaccid penis.  Since then, essentially all of the symptoms have been variable, with periods where I almost felt back to normal.

Here is what I have essentially ruled out at this point, through doctor's visits and blood tests:

-Thyroid problems
-Diabetes

I had a prostate exam that was normal, but I still haven't ruled that out as a cause.  I have an upcoming appointment with an osteopath, to discuss any potential link between my back and these problems (though both a chiropractor and physical therapist did not think a link was likely).  I'm also planning to see a neurologist asap.  I've already seen a urologist, but they didn't have a diagnosis.

I'll post as I learn more.  Let me know if you figure out anything else regarding adrenal function.
I have experienced everything you are describing... and might have the answer:
1. Hard, smaller flaccid penis occasionally.
2. Bottle neck restriction in flaccid penis when cold, physically active, etc.
3. Mine is really uncomfortable, sometimes painful, especially after sex, but I don't know if that is a shared issue.
4.  Indent below glans
5.  Giant viens on bottom of penis, left side, and left side pain
6.  When irritated / after sex or running, mine is harder and smaller, and sometimes curves leftwards at these times.
7. Erections stiffer and not as full as usual.

I am being treated for peyronie's disease.  This is a formation of dumb scar tissue in the penis, usually over a number of weeks, that thinks it's supposed to keep forming and calcifying... when it isn't. Often happens on the left side, sometimes causes curvature, sometimes not.  That lump could very well be the scar that's causing the trouble, and reduced circulation is caused by the scarring which can explain most of these symptoms. Do some research, let me know what you find... Hope it helps.  The trouble is... it's permanent, and very difficult to fix, and very rarely goes away.  Talk about depressing.

However Dr. Levine is doing some cool stuff with it, trying out new weird techniques, and it's fixable if it is important enough to you and worth the risk.

This forum is a good place for comparison:
http://www.peyroniesforum.net/

If anyone found out this is something else...... please say so!! thanks!

=)
Interesting thread. I'm 48 and had similar symptoms for as long as I can recall.

My problem is shrinkage that can go on for days for no good reason. I don't lose length so much as width, it becomes very thin and hard, looks ridiculous. Some days it's fine I get a nice loose hang. But often it's tight and small.

It's clear the problem is there's  no bloodflow,  but the question is why. I have noticed there seems to be two thing going on, not only does the internal penis shrink but the skin sometimes tightens up and I also get a sort of restriction just below the gland where it becomes even thinner. If it is in that state and I somehow manage to get an erection the tight skin remains squeezing the shaft at that point until I get a full erection and it disappears. Looks very odd. It makes me very depressed in this state. I could not possibly been seen in a locker room in this state !!

I have noticed it's much worse in the winter, so clearly cold exacerbates the problem. But even if I'm inside and the heating is up, it still happens. Also it's definitely worse morning and daytime. Just before bed is when I get a good hang and the skin loosens. That must tell us something.

I tried research but haven't discovered much. The penis like other parts of the body has alpha receptors in the smooth muscle surrounding the blood vessels. Noradenalin activates these receptors causing the blood vessels to constrict and reducing blood flow. This can be caused by anxiety. Cold and exercise also cause it, presumably by a similar mechanism ??

Like others here I thought ok lets try some alpha blockers (like Tamsulosin). Guess what , it works ! About 5 hours after taking one, I usually get a much better hang which last about 36 hours. Sometimes however it doesn't works so well, why ? I have no clue.

This is only speculation by I also wonder if by taking the alpha blockers the receptors  could up regulate, effectively making them more sensitive to noradrenaline, so if you stopped taking the meds, the problem could get worse for a while.

The cause of all this , I've no idea, My guess is it is somehow related to hormones, adrenalin and noradrenalin somehow. An over sensitivity in some people perhaps. Which may explain why some people are growers and others showers. I did read somewhere that lack of sleep can cause an increase in sympathetic nervous system activity.
Hey guys, it's me again.

To: Pinjured_Too:

I can relate to most of the symptoms you've listed.
I've definitely noticed that a lot of us don't have the EXACT SAME issue and symtoms, but the symtoms that ARE common for almost everyone reporting show that there IS some common source for this issue.

In my case:
- flaccid penis in normal state is around 4 inches in length or something like that
- Often after ejaculation, the day after, the penis shrivels, becomes hard (varying in how hard) and stiff in flaccid state.
- it can shrink to like 2 inches in flaccid state. In this state I have lowered libido and must force myself to get an erection.
- when I get an erection it is only 60-90% of normal erection size and penis is very hard/stiff. What I noticed in this state is that I have an extra ring of what appears to be cartilage or something right underneath the penis head, which I never noticed there before. This ring is not there on days when everything is fine.
- If I don't have sex or masturbate for 3-6 days, penis comes back to almost 100% normal. But like you said if you ejaculate several times in a short time span, it will make the condition worse, and I might have to wait even longer for it to return to normal.
- Often after ejaculation it makes a long time for the penis to return to flaccid. The feeling is not painful at all, but still very unnormal.
- there is no specific pattern as to when I'll have the 'hard flaccid penis' condition, or how long it will last for, which is why I kept telling myself this will go away and still haven't seen a doctor. :(
- for me personaly, weather doesn't affect my condition as much as  others have described, and applying heat to the 'hard flaccid' penis only helps a little bit. Also time of day doesn't have a significant impact on my condition.

Pinjured_Too, Vangaard, and scot007 thanks for your input. Let's keep narrowing this to the common source.

Although I haven't been to doctors yet, I do not have any pains, or extreme veins, so I am fairly certain that I don't have one of the major diseases that Pinjured_Too mentioned, unless it's Peyronie's disease. For me, I know for a fact, that this condition began the morning after I had taken ecstasy. I am 100% convinced of this because I found a forum with 3 other people from around the world that have reported the exact same symtoms after also taking E one night. So I know my problem was not due to physical damage to the penis. The ecstasy most likely did not cause this directly (because I've already done it before that day and after and everything was fine), but inducted this somehow.
Scot007 mentioned that lack of sleep could somehow cause (or somehow induce) this condition. I do note that I had very little sleep that week I had done E, and I'm sure many others of you chronically lack sleep as well. (This could possibly contribute to and induce hormonal imbalances or something).
Next, some people got this 'condition' by physically hurting the penis, others simply in their sleep, and yet others by taking ecstasy. If we all have very similar symptoms, then the core of the issue must be the same. It is DEFINITELY a physiological problem. It may either be Adrenaline and noradrenaline imbalances, an issue with blood circulation, or what you guys have discussed about nerves.
One poster on a different forum about the same issue said that he recommends everyone to start taking Ginkgo Balboa daily and said that it has helped him a lot.
Another poster posted: "I stopped masturbation and there is somewhat of improvement. Started taking L-arginine 3x1000 daily with Vitamin C 2x500. This helps you guys .. but the key here is to stop masturbation and lessen the sex for a year or something .. "
**** that I'm not going to quit sex for a year! Some doctor must know how to treat this! It is treatble, my penis returns to normal after several days! I don't even know where to get this Ginko Balboa and don't have money on this ****. I'm 21 years old and started seeing this cutie, and can't even bring her home because on a 'hard flaccid' day I'm not even going to want to have sex. Kinda frustrating...

Anyone else has any advice?