Men's Health Community

Does Rogaine help?

Hi, I am a 26 year-old female and have been experiencing hair loss at the frontal area over the last few months. I have had quite a lot of stress recently since the grad school started but I am not sure if that is the reason. I was told about Rogaine. I was wondering if you think it would help? If yes, how long do you think i should use it? Does it have any side effects that you have heard of? Is there anything else that you suggest I could do?

Thank you so much,
Breeze
Sure you can use rogaine.  The only problem with it is you only get the benefits while using it. If you quit you lose the benefits.

Just out of curiousity why did you post this on a men's health site?

Another note though?  The gene for hair loss is on the x chromosome so unless your mom and dad both have hair loss, or unless your undergoing chemotherapy you should visit a doctor ASAP!
Well this is a question that is right up my alley. IThe real fact of the matter is, hair loss is most generally caused by genetics but when under a great deal of stress hair can fall out. What happens is that the hair folicals go into a resting state. They can lay dorment for a short amount of time or forever. The reason rogaine works is not because it has some super hair growth formula in it, it is because when using rogaine, you massage it in to your scalp. Basically waking those sleeping hair folicals. You can achieve the same result by strictly massaging your scalp for 3 to 5 minutes ever night when washing your hair. The best indication of a genetic hair loss is to look at your mothers father. If he had balding it was most likely bred into you.
Okay now that I have read the post again, I just noticed that I posted a wrong reply. My answer is for males not females.
Please check out the poly cystic ovarian syndrome forum.