Avatar universal

Does anyone have an idea what this is?/Does anyone have similar symptoms?

So I'm a 20 year old male, and I've had the same two symptoms pop out seemingly out of the blue. The first symptom is that my penis head and and area at the top of shaft get very itchy and swell up a fair amount (I am uncircumcised). The second symptom is that the roof of my mouth swells up (it feels like a blister) and becomes very sensitive (making it painful to eat any food). The symptoms are definitely linked as it seems the more I itch my penis the more swollen my mouth becomes. In terms of hygiene, I would say I am pretty clean in both my mouth and penis, cleaning both daily. And it cannot be an STD as I'm yet to bump uglies with anyone. Anyways, once I concentrate on not itching my penis for a couple of days the swelling seems to go down a little, but I'm left with puss-like gunk under my foreskin, which makes me believe that it could be an infection of some sort however I've had this problem several times now and I can't think of what might be causing it.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what this might be or perhaps has experienced similar symptoms, let me know.

Thank you

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
207091 tn?1337709493
You say you haven't "bumped uglies" - have you had any kind of sexual activity - given or performed oral sex?

So on the penis - the pus like gunk sounds like something called smegma, which essentially oils from the skin, skin cells, and moisture. This can happen with infection and if you aren't cleaning your penis properly.

It is shameful that we don't teach men how to properly do this, but I'll spare you my lecture. It may not be hygiene if you are cleaning it daily, but I just want to make sure you are properly doing it.

A couple of helpful links -



There's an infection called balanitis that is quite common, especially in men who still have foreskins. It doesn't sound like that's what you have, since it goes away, but just for some FYI - https://www.healthline.com/health/balanitis

It could also be an allergic reaction to something. I'm struggling to think of something that you'd be eating or drinking or using in your mouth that you'd also use on your penis, but perhaps there is something.

One thing that it could be is yeast or thrush. That can happen in the mouth and on the penis. This is more common in people with diabetes when their levels aren't as controlled as they should be. Do you have diabetes? Are you at risk for it?

The next time it happens, definitely get in to see your doctor, or take pics of both so your doc can see it.
Helpful - 0
20620809 tn?1504362969
I agree to look into balanitis.  The symptoms on your penis do sound like those of balanitis.  But that would not account for your mouth issues.  Read this article too https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/246615  It talks about thrush.  You could have thrust both on your penis and in your mouth.  That is definitely a possibility.  I agree you need to see a doctor to sort it out!  

'bumping uglies', haven't heard that in a while.  ha.  Funny.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Men's Health Community

Top Men's Health Answerers
1622896 tn?1562364967
London, United Kingdom
139792 tn?1498585650
Indore, India
Avatar universal
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.