How much will a woman's birth control pill lower testosterone in men?

I've low testosterone, scoring 350mg in my last blood test. I'm really feeling the effects of it, but my insurance won't cover the replacement therapy unless my blood test drops below 300. I was reading that my wife's birth control pill could lower my T count.

How long would be necessary to take her birth control in order to lower my testosterone for a follow up blood test?

My searches have already noted that long-term usage of female birth control will cause side effects like; enlarge breasts, lower libido, etc. I only want to take it long enough to qualify for testosterone replacement.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dude this is a terrible idea. That pill will mess you up. It's also cheating the system which is no good.
Helpful - 0
And, what will you say to the insurance company when the blood test also reveals a whole lot of estrogen and/or progesterone in your system? Those will certainly be visible to testing, well before side effects.
Helpful - 0
The test requested would just be for testosterone levels. That's all the insurance would see.
And, you know for sure that the insurance company, after your first request for testosterone shots that they turned down because they deemed your levels were sufficient, would not even be remotely curious if your testosterone level suddenly went down, and request a blood-chemical profile to check other hormones or your thyroid or something? (Speaking of that, have you had your thyroid tested? Free T3 and T4?)

It just doesn't seem like lacing your body with female hormones in an effort to lower your testosterone to game the insurance company into paying for testosterone shots is likely to work, and a lot of hassle and questionable medical effort as well. When your testosterone goes up again, if the insurance company requires a new test to show you still need it, will you go on female hormones again? Lots simpler sounding just to pay for the shots you want.

But, before you do, talk to your doctor or an endocrinologist about why your testosterone level is going down (if it has  gone down. You say it's low, is that compared to the average man, or to prior tests of testosterone levels you yourself have had?) The doc might be able to suggest other causes.
That would never be recommended to take your wife's birth control for this. The cost of injections is usually under 40 dollars a month (average is 25 to 35 bucks a month). Don't take your wife's birth control.
Helpful - 0
Where can I get injections for 40/mo?
That's the average cost in the US. I think you are WAY off base. You shouldn't try to 'trick' your body by messing with it horonally just to get something that your insurance isn't covering because it isn't bad enough. That's extreme and unhealthy. No sane person would advocate for such a thing.
** hormoneally" -- not sure if that is a word. But don't add a woman's birth control pills NOT prescribed to you in order to get your insurance to cover testosterone. That's both unethical and not in your best interest health wise.

You are reading content posted in the Men's Health Community