MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Avatar universal

Is my epididymitis back?

I took antibiotics and NSAIDs for over a month and my testicular pain finally subsided. The cause was most likely backflow of urine.
I started masturbating again, and I tried not to overdo it. But it came back yesterday night, then again today around midday. Should I forget about it, wait for it to go away on its own, or do I take anti-inflammatories again? I don't know what to do. I don't want to go through pain down there all over again.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Hey, sorry for not answering right away -
I didn't notify my doctor because when I started taking the NSAID again, I started feeling better. But for the past two days it got worse. I noticed some veins bulging in my penis for some reason which was new (and sometimes I feel them sting a bit), and now my right testicle hurts as much as the left. Never at the same time, but my right testicle never hurt this much before. It's more like the soreness I feel after masturbating for too long but magnified. I haven't masturbated since I posted this. The only thing I try to do to forget about the pain is to sleep at this point.
I'm thinking of going to another doctor bc the first urologist always tells me that I'm overreacting and it gets on my nerves tbh.
Helpful - 0
You should get another opinion. It would be good to hear if what you are feeling is part of the healing process, and expected, or if you have something else going on.

Taking NSAIDs for an extended period of time has risks, and you should find out what's going on before you just keep taking those for a long time.

You have to be comfortable with your doctor. It's really important. If you aren't, you won't go when you need to. Let us know what happens.
I went to the doctor. He told me I had chronic pelvic pain and that I got to stop stressing too much about it - he gave me antibiotics for 2 weeks (Cefixime) and NSAIDs for one more week.
So I made a bit of research, but is thic chronic pain going to last my whole life? Popping up randomly for years? It explains why my penis stings sometimes though.
I'm glad with any answer at this point..
Chronic pelvic pain - does he mean CPPS, which is chronic pelvic pain syndrome, or non-bacterial chronic prostatitis (that's the old name, but they expanded it because if often includes more pain than just prostate)?

If that's what he means, then yes, you could have flares for the rest of your life. I'd urge you to do some research on it. One of the biggest things that I've heard is that caffeine really aggravates it, so avoid that.

Don't get discouraged, though. You might find that avoiding caffeine really helps, and never have symptoms again.

Oh no no, it's the first one - CPPS. I had to translate it from French to English~ He asked me whether I had pain elsewhere but I don't.
Is CPPS the one that lasts for the rest of my life? ._.
I don't drink coffee at all anyways so I'm good on that front.
Ok, CPPS can include prostatitis - it's a syndrome, so it can include lots of things.

Yes, it can flare at any time, perhaps for the rest of your life.

Caffeine is in a lot of things - energy drinks, tea, soft drinks, chocolate - anything that says "energy" in it likely has caffeine, but check the label.

Do some googling on CPPS, see if that helps.
I had a pain-free period, but a couple days ago pain came back slightly - and I realized it was because I added chocolate in my diet... But then my penis hurt and I noticed the veins that keep bulging and  I googled and started reading about lymphedema(? and other stuff and I started freaking out again... what if all the scrotum pain and the swelling is caused by something totally different? I did cut my penis and it took months to heal... maybe there's a blood clot??? Epididymitis or CPPS don't incluse penis pain and bulging skin.....
Ok that was very unclear. I was full on panicking.
Basically, my tests hurt a little less but the veins (on the right side) that bulged on my penis are still there and they hurt sometimes. I noticed it starts from the base from the side sometimes.... hope that's clearer..
That was veeery unclear. Sorry.
The veins that formed are on my penis, it's been a couple weeks since it started and usually it only happens when I'm erect and they're "solid" but now they're a bit more prominent when I'm not erect.
It doesn't look concerning in any way, but it hurts and I'm a health freak when it comes to stuff I don't understand.
If you think you have a blood clot, you need to see your doctor. Are you seeing bulging veins when your penis is not erect? It's normal to see pronounced veins when it is.

A cut not healing doesn't mean there is a blood clot. It could mean a lot of things - poor circulation, repeated trauma, inadequate nutrition, among others, but a blood clot isn't one of them.


Did your doctor ever see it?

Lymphedema is swelling that occurs in one or both of the legs or arms. Genital lymphedema can occur. Google that for images. I don't think that's what you have. You'd be at the doctor if you did, not talking to me.

CPPS can cause penis pain:

https://patient.info/mens-health/prostate-and-urethra-problems/chronic-prostatitis - "During a flare-up, you can have pain and discomfort. You feel this mainly at the base of your penis, around your anus, just above your pubic bone and/or in your lower back. Pain may spread to your penis and testicles (testes)."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/chronic-pelvic-pain-syndrome - "Chronic pelvic pain symptoms are the characteristic common presentation, especially perineal, lower abdominal, testicular, penile and ejaculatory pain."

https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/prostatitis-(infection-of-the-prostate) - "Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CP/CPPS) - * Pain in the bladder, testicles and penis, and between these and the anus"

Have you considered seeing a therapist? I'm not saying that you are mentally ill, or anything like that. Chronic pain changes a person, and working your way through the medical system is beyond frustrating no matter what country you are in. Managing chronic conditions will undoubtedly cause some anxiety along the way. (I know this firsthand.) You should consider it. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

Okay, I was writing and researching when you were posting.

You were clearly panicking, and now I think it's really important for you to see a therapist. A lot of this is going to be unknown for you, and you may have flares for the rest of your life, and they may be different each time. You may get used to it, but hon, you need some coping skills.

This mentions trauma, but anyone can use it any time you are panicking or freaking out. It's a way to ground yourself, so to speak. You look for 5 things you can see, 4 things you can feel, 3 things you can hear, etc. - it's called the 5-4-3-2-1 method. https://www.therapistaid.com/therapy-article/grounding-techniques-article

*five things you can see
*4 things you can feel
*3 things that you can hear
* two things you can smell
* one thing you can taste

There are hundreds of videos that will walk you through this if you need that. Say it out loud - "I see the television, the couch, the rug..."

Hang in there, okay?
Yes, the veins are bulging when it's not erect... When it is erect, the veins actually bulge. It's weird. (I'm cicrumcised)
Pain flares from the base but it's more painful under the head. I never asked my urologist to check. It hurts occasionally and I'm sure I'm just making a big deal out of it... that's what he told me more than once anyways. It persists when I think too much about it.
The cut healed, thankfully.. There's a small scar though.
Other than that.. Sometimes I feel "okay" and sometimes, I get very bad thoughts. I think you might be right.
I've already been going through a lot for too long anyways, and my parents and some friends mentionned therapy at some point too. I'm just scared of talking about personal stuff I think.
I'll check those grounding techniques though. Thank you, I'll try to update asap--
Therapy isn't easy. It's scary to talk about personal stuff. It's a lot easier to talk through things now, though, than to bottle it all up and carry it all for years, while it weighs you down.

If your parents, friends and now a stranger on the internet have mentioned therapy, maybe it's time? "Very bad thoughts" is always a sign that it's time for therapy. Always. It doesn't mean you're crazy, weak, or whatever - it just means you need a little assistance getting through a rough time. I'm not being dramatic when I say that therapy saved me, in a lot of ways. Just give it some serious thought.

It won't cure whatever is happening to you genitally, but it will make it easier to cope with, and to figure out how much is a hyper-awareness, and how much isn't.

207091 tn?1337709493
Do they know what caused the backflow of urine?

The pain from this can last quite a long time, but if you had a pain-free period, and then it came back, you should notify your doctor. If you can safely take an anti-inflammatory, I don't think it would hurt, but you should let your doctor know anyway.

Let us know what happens.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Men's Health Community

Top Men's Health Answerers
1622896 tn?1562364967
London, United Kingdom
139792 tn?1498585650
Indore, India
Avatar universal
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.