Men's Health Community

Locker Room Erection

Does anyone else experience uncontrollable and unwanted erections in the locker room/showers at the gym? Or at the doctors getting a physical? Quite embarassing.....Any help?
Yep, and at the most inconvenient times. I've tried NOT thinking about anything sexual and it still doesn't help.
You men and your funny equipment.  It's like it has a mind of it's own.
Thanks Everyone! I feel a little better now about this.

oceans3 - What you said makes sense and great female locker room analogy btw. I wish "being cold" was the case with men, and if it was, it's supposed to do the opposite.....
*guys perspective*   I get a hard-on at spontaneous moments of the day.  Am I horny?  No.  Am I yearning for sex?  It's rather normal if you ask me, and it's reassuring I get a hard-on.  It can be both awkward and annoying have a hard-on at certain times of the day or in certain situations, but enjoy it while it lasts bro because it ain't gonna be up when you're 89. haha.
I'm guessing that you're still young (20's).  Alot of what you're experincing is your penis just doing what it does naturally when it's free.  What you didn't indicate is whether or not you get uncontrollable erections any other time when your naked outside of the gym.  You probably don't think about it because at the gym you're feeling embarrassed.  Is this a school gym where you see the same guys...or is it public facility?  If it's public where you don't know anyone, then don't let it bother you.  If it's at a school gym or somewhere where your friends are, then you may want to limit your exposure because they may perceive that your aroused by looking at men (I'm assuming you're straight).

If you're really desperate to train that guy down there, then here's a few things to try.

1. Go to a nude beach or resort to get yourself used to being nude in public.
2. Walk around the house naked whenever you can.
3. Wear boxers instead of briefs to give him room to move around.
4. This is a bit out there, but if you masturbate in the bathroom before going into the public changing area, you should be able to stay flaccid long enough to take a shower and get dressed.

With age you should be able to get that guy to settle down when he's not going to get some action.  I just turned 40 and I have to think about it for a while before I get erect enough to raise any attention.

Hope that helps,  but just remember.....you're normal.
sunseeker -

Sorry about that, I'm 40 myself. No, it's not just the locker room at the gym, it's anywhere and everywhere, at the doctor's office, etc. And yes, I am straight.
1. I would be hard the entire time
2. I would be hard the entire time
3. I already do
4. This I'll try
I wish I could get that little guy to settle down, but the more I think about it, the quicker it happens (no matter what I think about, if I'm naked, he's at attention).

This helps some.....Thanks!

Try and think of the most disgusting thing; if you are a young guy think of your parents having sex.
sunseeker - are you a nudist or have you been to a nudist place before? I am asking because I was thinking about giving this a try and was wondering if the nudist people at these nudist places were bothered or offended by someone that walks around the entire time with a hard-on?
surprised you are 40 and have spontaneous erections still like an adolescent.  I hope to have this problem when I'm 40! And if you find yourself in an emergency erection you could try squeezing firmly on the head/shaft of your penis, enough to cause a slight pain which should distract your arousal and subside the erection
To mcp7: Are we related? No.s 1,2,3 wouldn't work for me like it doesn't work for you. No. 4 wouldn't last long enough.  The only difference is, I am 58 but making progress. In high school it was a nightmare. During my twenties I couldn't walk around in my underwear. I never could get a good look my flaced penis. I would loose the draw-if I tried as an instanteous thought-it would up before I had my pants off. I am now able to shower at home without an erection as long as no-one walks in the bathroom.
I would like to take a more leisurely shower at the gym and not to have to worry-now it means a really fast shower only after being at a point of exhaustion from a workout or a swim. I have experienced some embarasssing moments.
I have been trying  over the years to normalize this. I have gone to my previous family doctor & 2 phycotherapists for treatment.
In good ways it has never let me or my wife down after thirty years of marriage,lack of sleep,raising kids,treatment for depression and a vasectemy, you name it. I have been on anti-depressants (for bipolar) for over ten years-I thought that would do it. My family doctor smiled & said many would wish my problem. I know my wife thinks I am amazing. I don't walk around in the nude-my wife doesn't know I have this problem because I keep this expression for an appropriate time for her,which is at any time.
Part of this is body image. I have been extremely self conscious because I don't have a lot to show down there, but on the other hand I have a normal size erection and in my thirties a fertility doctor called me Super Stud when my semen was tested (meaning I have reasons not to feel inferior). As I get older maybe I shouldn't even wish this to go away.
Thanks to everyone for participating in this dialoque. We all have differences and we are not the only ones to have similar challenges. I never thought of this as being someone's elses concern.
I'm learning that we may still be in the Victorian Age when it comes to regulations about the way males may appear naked in places like health clubs, beaches and campgrounds where nudity is permitted.  Within my circle of friends and experiences, I found out there are real scenarios that aren't yet supported by management at some of these establishments.  For example, it seems that some men's genitalia appear differently naturally depending on whether the body is cold and/or the mind is anxious or preoccupied with pressing thoughts as opposed to the body being warm and relaxed/the mind is not preoccupied with pressing thoughts.  Some guys happen to have hair-trigger apparati that spring to attention in seconds or minutes from a warm shower, steam or whirlpool bath, without touching himself.  Some guys may not be in a relationship and may be busy day and night with work and classes, watching TV, walking the dog, etc.,  and not have time to masturbate even once per week.  Then one day when he finally gets a few minutes to go to a gym locker and get naked, the apparatus spring up instantly just from the act of being able to unwind by removing his clothing for a few minutes.  Or he just awoke from a nap.  Or the guy showering across the room is just too hot to control oneself.  So - given scenarios like these, in a gym or school locker room or at a campground where nudity is permitted, is there ever a time when it is appropriate for a fellow patron to make a remark about another patron's hanging position either confrontationally to that person or to management?  I have discovered that some establishments do think so.  Now the question is, does that establishment have the right to remove a person from this facility on that basis?  Does a male have any legal ground to stand on in his defense?  Doesn't genitalia fall under the category of a body part, like a fat ***, excessively hairy back, tattoos or long hair?  And if the shape of the genitalia is their concern, with something so incremental as an erection, who decides when that actually occurs?  I am beginning to research these questions with the help of reps from the Human Rights Act.  It could be that if these establishments are in business to the general public, in the same way Denny's Restaurants got in trouble for refusing to serve black patrons, they could be subject to regulations that protect one's gender - in this case, being male. Or if popping wood under these scenarios is statistically in the minority, then it could be blamed on a medical condition, or it could be blamed on just being youthful.  I have consulted with biology books that confirm that erections can happen because of this reason or because of that reason, or even if the reason is "just because" (no reason).  I believe some medical conditions are protected under the Human Rights Act.

The establishment can simply say, if it happens, wear a towel.  And some places do have signs requiring wearing of suits or towels in certain areas of their locker rooms including steam rooms, whirlpools, wall-mounted air blowers and TV lounges.  Ok, but what if a guy wants to shower, or change clothes?  The towel has to come off and he might be seen.  (Gasp).  I maintain that males need to be protected against management that support patrons' claims of being offended.  The patrons have a right to be offended and a right to complain - but I feel the management needs to tell them to mind their own business and look the other way, until it comes down to a hygienic issue, like urinating, spitting or ejaculating on the locker room floor.  I have been grossed out by guys who blow their snot into the sinks, but haven't felt like complaining to management about it.  Does any of this make sense?  How would you approach management at a YMCA or health club in which someone reported your erection and now management wants to revoke your membership?  Where is the line between applying soap to one's genitals for washing, and doing something wrong?  This is a real life case that is currently going on from incidents at more than one gym or campground.  Thanks for your response.

wow, Glad to read what you write!
i feel it it male humans right to have an erection! it's a normal male function , "IF' i had an erection! and some one complained about it! I'd ask The complainer, WHAT were you Doing Staring and my Penis....and turn the complaint around about them.

it's all to ridicules, Guy's get boners, here and there for intentional and UN-intentional reasons. it's just a fact of life, , actually i Think the best defense if you had an erection in a Gym or Camp ground shower, and it was clearly noticed, and a look of  offense was noticed, I would acknowledge it ALSO and with a light laugh, say.....The little Guy Has a mind of his own....Go Figuer.......and leave it at that 99% of people would feel the pressure of the situation released, and since it was acknowledged by the one with the WOOD ,,,,,all would be well....Trust me !