Avatar universal

Red scrotum for about 4 years

Hello. I have had a red scrotum for around four years. Accompanying symptoms have been itchiness and occasional burning. There is a line down the middle of the scrotum where the skin is normal/unaffected. I have seen a general practitioner and a dermatologist and have tried several treatments. It has not responded to steroid creams or antifungal treatments. I have had two biopsies, and they only reported that the area was inflamed and that there was evidence of steroid use, but nothing more. The doctors I have seen have not been too interested in how the condition first came to be. It came to be shortly after I masturbated in the shower about 4 years ago. I had used both shower gel and saliva as lubrication. Shortly after ejaculation and while still in the shower, I noticed my testicles ached and I saw the color change from normal to red before my eyes. The color change happened probably about five minutes after ejaculation. After creams failed, I was prescribed doxycycline. The condition has similar symptoms to red scrotum symptom, but since I am only 21, I don't really fit in the demographic that it usually affects. I was also prescribed something for nerve pain, amitriptyline (which is also an antidepressant), in the hopes that it may help, but the side effects were too much for me. Thoughts? Should I see a urologist?

Thank you!
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
207091 tn?1337709493
This says that sometimes younger men can get RSS - https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/male-genital-dysaesthesia/

However, it sounds like they're treating you for it anyway, just without the diagnosis, if they are following the treatment protocol in the above site.

Amitriptyline is super sedating. I was on it once for chronic pain, and couldn't function until 2pm the next afternoon. You aren't alone in not being able to take it.

All the sites I saw with a quick Google say to eliminate soap and use a non-soap cleanser, so definitely start there.

Also, think of every single thing that comes into contact with the area. Laundry detergents, body washes, clothing, wipes, underwear., etc., all touch your skin, and they can all cause allergies or reactions. Laundry detergent should be free of scents and dyes. If you use moist wipes in the bathroom, make sure they are unscented, as should your toilet paper.

Your underwear should be 100% cotton and breathable, and you should change it every day. (I just saw a study that says 45% of Americans wear their underwear 2 days or longer, so now I'm telling everyone. - https://tommyjohn.com/blogs/news/underwear-hygiene-study)

There are other treatments listed in the first link I gave you. Maybe you should see a urologist since the GP and derm didn't do too much.

Let us know what happens.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Men's Health Community

Top Men's Health Answerers
1622896 tn?1562364967
London, United Kingdom
139792 tn?1498585650
Indore, India
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.