Avatar universal

Red shiny patches on penis glans with no discomfort associated

I'm a 25yo male and for the past few months (at least that's when I started to consciously take note of it but from what I remember, this may have been going on longer) I've had these red patches on my penis head (mostly the one on the left hand side near the urethra - this one seems the most visible and has this "shiny" surface) that look like this (+18 of course): https://imgur.com/a/gZAY76f

(tried to outline the spot; it was reaaallly hard to capture it on a photo cause the camera kept equalizing the white balance and evening the color).

They're completely even with the skin, not bumpy, not painful, not swollen, not itchy. They've never caused me any discomfort (pain, itchiness, what have you) whatsoever. I just learned to live with them and figured it's probably because of masturbation irritation because I masturbate without any lotion/lube, only my saliva. Also, I have seborrhoeic dermatitis so it's not like the sight of a red spot anywhere on my body freaks me out. Also, I've never had sex so I don't think this could be any venereal disease or the like. Finally, I haven't tried any new cosmetics lately (+ as I mention, it's been on for months easily and throughout that time I've probably used like 10 different brands of soaps/shampoos so it's not like I suddenly made a change and this appeared).

What may I try to make it go away? I just decided to do something about it because these spots aren't really aesthetically pleasing (though this varies, too - sometimes they become more visible, like after masturbation or randomly a few hours after waking up, sometimes barely visible). What may this be? Is there something I can try at home before going to the doctor's?

So far I've tried (not all at once of course; had a week or so pause between either):

-- cutting back on masturbation - for a few days I didn't masturbate and then for a few days after that I did it without rubbing the foreskin on penis glans, only below it

-- washing with water only instead of soap so as not to irritate the skin with soap detergents

-- rinsing with water and patting dry my penis every time I pee throughout the day

-- an OTC cream that I sometimes used for irritation spots or flaky skin, with Allantoinum and Dexpanthenolum; applied every day for a week

-- an OTC ointment similar to the cream mentioned above, this one also had Allantoinum as the main ingredient though; also applied daily for a week

None of these seemed to help though. Sometimes I felt like one of these was making it better but then the next day it was back to normal so it all seemed pretty random. Should I try to apply some other cream (seen hydrocortisone and clotrimazole recommended online but I don't know if it's a good bet)? Or maybe there's something else you'd recommend?

(and yeah I know I could go see a professional but that's a pretty sensitive subject for me and since it's causing me no discomfort whatsoever, I'd rather use it as last resort and try experimenting with some benign treatments first)
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
20620809 tn?1504362969
Here is a big long post to look at on this. https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/red--shiny--dry-skin-on-penis/show/1226320.

I'd consider that maybe it is a yeast infection that is pretty common to get.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Men's Health Community

Top Men's Health Answerers
1622896 tn?1562364967
London, United Kingdom
139792 tn?1498585650
Indore, India
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.