Men's Health Community

TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY

WHY 1 YEAR AFTER I HAD TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY DO I STILL HAVE PAIN AND BURNING IN MY KNEE.  MY DR, SAYS THIS IS OK.
SHOULD I GO TO ANOTHER ORTHAPEDIC SURGEON FOR A SECOND OPINION?
MY FAMILY DR. SAYS THIS WILL HEAL ON ITS OWN.  BUT THE PAIN AND DISCOMFORT IS INTERFERRING WITH MY LIFE.
IS IT POSSIBLE THE SURGEON DID SOMETHING WRONG?
TKR recovery is a very individual thing.  Your level of activity, movement, general health, other conditions, etc. all weigh in on your recovery period.  As long as you are improving and you doctor is not concerned, you are probably doing okay. Few people have recoveries that leave them 100% like they were.  If you have about 80% range of motion, that is believed to be a full recovery. Pain after TKR is very common and some people always have it, while others don't.  If you are worried about continued inflammation, you can have a blood test called a C-reactive protein test which will indicate inflammation in the body. You may also have to face the fact that "this is it" for you.  Not a pleasant thought.  The best thing you can do is  to keep moving.  The less you do the greater the pain will become and the less you will be able to do in the future. If the pain is not controlled with Advil or the like, ask for a referral to a pain management specialist. Good luck.
I has a TKR on March 31st and the burning I get is basically at night which causes sleep issues.  I cannot sleep on my side cause the muscles begin to ache so if I sleep on my back for an extended period the burning starts and wakes me up.  I might as well not go to bed till 3am as the hours before that are ridiculous.  I have been told it will go away and one day I will wake up on my side, too!  I am looking forward to that day.  This burning is not fun.