Mesothelioma Community
30 Members

worried about asbestos exposure

my 2.5 years old daughter was exposed to asbestos insulation from old heater for 2 months while visiting her grandparents. Heater was in her bedroom close to her bed. Asbestos insulation in the heater was in bad condition and asbestos gets airborne when heater is on, which was half the time. She spent 12 hours a day in this room. Besides this exposure she doesn't have any other exposure to this material. My questions are :
1) What is her risk of developing mesothelioma later in life from this exposure, approximately how many %?
2) Is there way to reduce the risk? Is there way her lungs get rid of the asbestos particles in them? Besides her avoiding second hand smoke is there anything else that can be done?

Could someone answer me the questions above please?

Thank you very much in advance!
you seem to be sure it was asbestos & that it was disturbed? are you certain?
there is no way of removing the particles from your body & I dont think there's anything particular you should be doing to avoid the risk of something developing.
Its very difficult to say whether she'll have future problems, but just remember the latency period is very long, so just try & get on & enjoy life.

I was just wondering how you & your daughter are & whether you're still worried?

Jampot
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.