Child Head Pain

My 10 year old son was playing basketball and starting crying he indicated he had a cramp in his head.  (a sharp pain).  I asked if he meant his neck he said no and pointed to the upper side of his head.  Any suggestions

Thanks for writing in.
This could have happened if the child was dehydrated or low on sugar. The possibility of migraine and exertional headache also cannot be ruled out completely. The possibility of migraine is more especially if there is a family history of migraine.
Nothing can be said for sure as this is a single episode. I would suggest you to make sure he takes plenty of fluids during the day especially when he is playing to avoid dehydration. Also that he eats on time and regularly. He should avoid playing on a full stomach.
Hopefully this was an isolated incident which will not recur. If it happens again please get a clinical evaluation done.