Hemiplegic Migraines

I have suffered from typical migraines since I was 8 years old. I am 28 now with four children. Two years ago I was admitted to the hospital with stroke like symptoms. The doctors couldn't agree at the time as to whether or not it was a TIA or a migraine. I was admitted again two weeks later with the same symptoms. Slurring, loss of words, confusion, left sided numbness and weakness. My throat goes completely numb and then I get a horrible migraine on the right side that puts me out of commission for two days. I initially was put on topamax, which was terrible. I have tried so many medications. I am currently taking verapamil and I take topamax if I have just a typical migraine with pain only. I seem to be having more migraines since being on the verapamil. The symptoms are incredibly scary. My neurologist seems to just write prescriptions. My MRI has also come back abnormal and shows white spots. Does anyone else have these white spots due to migraines? Has anyone been on a medication or anything natural that seems to help? Thank you so much for any suggestions!!
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
How are you? While white spots in MRI are associated with migraine, there are other issues also to be ruled out. This may require additional tests for proper evaluation. Discuss the results including the MRI with your doctor for proper evaluation. If you had more attacks of migraine since you started with verapamil, it is best that you also inform your doctor about this for proper management. You can have a second opinion from another neurologist also. Identifying and avoiding the possible triggers of your migraine may help.  Complementary and alternative medicine such as acupuncture have also shown remarkable results with headaches in the past. Take care and do keep us posted.