Aa
A
A
A
Close
Migraines and Headaches Community
6.77k Members

8 yr old girls has unexplained nerve pain

My daughter is 8 yrs old and otherwise very healthy and normal. She has had random nerve pain for 4 years. We call them "shocks". They are either an intense "lightning" variation or steady and throbbing. An MRI and other testing have shown nothing. She has had no injuries. Her diet is typical, lots of healthy stuff and occasional junk foods. She is a great student and active. These shocks are perplexing, they are scary as sometimes they are in the chest, face, hands, buttocks, etc. These occur in random places of her body and almost daily. I massage her and comfort her, give her water and hold her. I feel helpless. I can see no signs on the outside of her body that would offer explaination. Sometimes they are very quick and other times can last up to 15 minutes. It does not happen in her sleep. I was going to try acupuncture next...I am at a loss. Our neuro doc said she will outgrow it...oh boy. Any ideas on what this can be or how to help with the pain?? I have kept journals of diet and activity and there are no patterns to suggest anything conclusive. HELP PLEASE.
1 Responses
620923 tn?1452915648

Hi....wow...to say she will outgrow it is not helpful at all ....

See if her PCP will order a MRI of her spine to see if there is some compression of the nerves that may be causing these shocks....

Some  issues are invisible and need more testing to uncover.

Wishing u and ur DD the best.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Trinity , TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease