Migraines and Headaches Community

8 yr old girls has unexplained nerve pain

My daughter is 8 yrs old and otherwise very healthy and normal. She has had random nerve pain for 4 years. We call them "shocks". They are either an intense "lightning" variation or steady and throbbing. An MRI and other testing have shown nothing. She has had no injuries. Her diet is typical, lots of healthy stuff and occasional junk foods. She is a great student and active. These shocks are perplexing, they are scary as sometimes they are in the chest, face, hands, buttocks, etc. These occur in random places of her body and almost daily. I massage her and comfort her, give her water and hold her. I feel helpless. I can see no signs on the outside of her body that would offer explaination. Sometimes they are very quick and other times can last up to 15 minutes. It does not happen in her sleep. I was going to try acupuncture next...I am at a loss. Our neuro doc said she will outgrow it...oh boy. Any ideas on what this can be or how to help with the pain?? I have kept journals of diet and activity and there are no patterns to suggest anything conclusive. HELP PLEASE.

Hi....wow...to say she will outgrow it is not helpful at all ....

See if her PCP will order a MRI of her spine to see if there is some compression of the nerves that may be causing these shocks....

Some  issues are invisible and need more testing to uncover.

Wishing u and ur DD the best.