Migraines and Headaches Community

Do you suffer from migraines or a different type of headache?

Migraine headaches are commonly one-sided (unilateral). The pain is described as throbbing or pulsing, and worsens with routine physical activity, such as climbing a flight of stairs. The pain is typically moderate to severe. There is often associated nausea and/or vomiting, and there can be sensitivity to light, sound, or smells. Sometimes, the headache will awaken the individual from sleep. A migraine headache may last from several hours to 3 days.
My ocular headaches are becoming more prevalent lately and occasionally hinder my speech and vision but without pain. They resemble a mini stroke and fade away within 1/2 hour. They frighten me. I never know whether they are a transient ischemic attack or migraine. I never know when they will occur!
I suffer from migraines; they began after a shoulder injury that I got when I was 22. The first time I had one I was terrified that I was dying. The pain is indescribable; every time that I've had one it has felt like my brain was swelling out of my skull, and that relentless pressure is scary as well as inescapably painful. Since I started getting migraines, I have always told people who do not have migraines that the key symptom of having one is fear. Normal headaches are a pain or an inconvenience; migraines terrify the person who is having them because the pain is that bad that they feel like some permanent damage is being done to their brain. It may be just an illusion but my goodness, it's a convincing one, and it takes a strong constitution not to run directly to the emergency room! Also, the strange sensations that you get with a migraine, numb limbs, vision loss and dizziness, have you convinced that you may be having a stroke or aneurysm. In many sufferers, myself included, those neurological symptoms carry on for a week or longer before the headache begins, which means they interfere with daily activities and make you doubt your own state of health and state of mind. It's a bit like having a mild seizure at times. These are the sorts of things that someone who hasn't had a migraine simply cannot understand. I wish more non-sufferers would stop to consider how life would be if they had all these added symptoms (fear, paralysis, nausea, tunnel vision, etc.). They have to understand that this is a neurological condition, not just an ache in the head. Over the years, I've found that getting as many painkillers into my system as I need, at the first signs of a migraine, is usually the best and only way to stop it. That, and taking rest; far too many sufferers continue working through the pain, which is the opposite of what their body wants them to do. My advice to all sufferers would be to keep the right kind of painkillers on hand, always, and be prepared to drop everything so you can rest and get better. And as for the non-sufferers around them, simply showing some sympathy for us would be a great help!
I have migraine type headache. I have migraine problems that last for 2 days just 3 days before my periods, and each day pain starts at the same time. I have identified the triggering factors like tension, sun rays, acidity and during periods. I normally take Betapyn which helps.
I have had severe migraines since I was young. I'm now 45. When they occur I cannot function. Once in a while when I get the early signs of one coming on, I can prepare myself and my family for most likely 24 hours of quiet alone time. These I can recover from within a day or two. For the ones that come on suddenly, well, there is usually several hours of getting sick, then a very dark, cold room, and just being left alone. These headaches I have had for as much as 5 days before. I have actually lost jobs in the past because of my migraines. I have taken everything over the counter but they don't touch the pain. I've taken Imitrex, but it doesn't work by itself, I have to take a muscle relaxer to help me relax enough to sleep. I have also taken Fioricet, but not all doctors like to prescribe it.
I have had cluster headaches for 13 years. Cycles start during late spring or summer, twice in December, and last up to 3 months. It starts with mild headaches that wake me up at night or during a nap. Frequency and intensity grow over a week to 2 or 3 a day, lasting 15 minutes to 2 hours. Some are fairly mild, but many put me down. I am exhausted after it ends. Sumatriptan is not always effective. Lidocaine catheter is of limited help. I want to try oxygen, but can't pack a tank around. I would try the Euro electric implant if available. I have anxiety and dread.
I have headaches every day and sometimes medicine does not help. My headaches are different and they interfere with my daily activities.
I have a headache when I stand up slowly and it lasts 5 minutes. I have been suffering them for the past 2 weeks.
My hope is that one day, medical devices become more affordable for sufferers.

Unfortunately, FDA approved devices without a prescription like the Cefaly Dual or prescription-required devices such as the InterX device  are still rather expensive, so I imagine this will continue to be a roadblock for middle and lower class sufferers.

If prices lower due to new insurance coverage, device companies accepting lower margins, or government incentives, it seems plausible that more Americans would purchase devices instead of prescription pills.