Migraines and Headaches Community

Explosion Headaches & Headaches coming from my Neck

I have had 2 cervical fusion surgeries, the 2nd to fix the first. I went 5 years with 2 loose screws between C-5/C-6. Even before 1st surgery, my neck starts hurting and then spreads to my head and behind my eyes, not always on one side, but mostly on left. I have had explosion headaches most of my life, and the best description is that it truly feels like my head has exploded, even with the sounds & sensations of my head explodes and is removed from my body. Very scary!  The pain from my neck on right usually spreads to right shoulder, arm and hand.  I am under pain management and we have tried everything, so now my Dr. is suggesting a pain pump.  I am afraid to have it installed. Even though it would help my pain (as I am being told) but I do not see how it can help the headaches?  Any one experiencing any of this or any advice?
Hi and welcome to the Migraines & Headaches Community.

It sounds like you are having a migraine with an aura. An aura is a perceptual disturbance experienced by some with migraine before the headache begins. The head feeling detached feeling is the aura. They are extremely common with migraines so, do not be alarmed.

Here are some tips you can try at home. But, you should not let one long migraine go any longer than 7 days. If you are having migraines with relief in between them then it is cluster migraines but one long migraine...after 7 days seek medical attention.

In the meantime here are some tips to try at home:
1. There are several symptoms of migraines and what causes the pain of a migraine is the blood vessels in your brain become dilated. So, sometimes it helps it you put a bit of pressure on your head. I am sure you have already been doing this unconsciously with your hands from time to time. So, get a bandanna or a cloth headband and wrap it snugly around your head.
2. If you rub Mentholatum across your forehead and on your temples that helps relax those tense muscles. You can do this with or without the wrap, depending on if you like the heat or not.
3. Try either a cold or hot pack, whichever is more comfy to you.
4. The best OTC meds that I have found that works is Excedrin. It is a combo of Aspirin, Tylenol and Caffeine and that happens to be an excellent combo for migraines.
5. I mentioned caffeine before...well, drink coffee, Mt Dew, take Vivirin...sometimes a mega dose of caffeine will stop it in its tracks.
6. If you get nauseous or dizzy get some Meclizine from the pharmacy (the stuff behind the counter) you can take 25mg three times a day as needed. Yes it works on both.

Good luck and keep us posted.