Migraines and Headaches Community

Headache since Stroke 2 weeks ago . . .HELP!

I am 32 years old and sufferred a small stroke on August 7.  I am doing pretty well except for some numbness in my left hand and SEVERE headaches.  Has anyone ever experienced severe headaches after having a stroke?  I was put back in the hospital earlier this week because the pain was so bad, and nothing I was taking was having any effect on it.  Even in the hospital, I was on an IV of dilaudid and that only helped minimally.  I came home on Wednesday and the headaches had abated somewhat, but now they are back and as painful as ever.  This is especially hard because I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 16 month old and am having trouble taking care of them, even just getting out of bed is difficult.  At the hospital the neurologists ran several more tests and could not pinpoint a reason why I am having these headaches.  Did this ever happen to any of you, and if so, what did you do about it?  I can't live like this....   Thank you!  
I am sorry you are in so much pain. You might want to see if you can find a neuropsychologist who using neurofeedback I have used to help with my post concussion syndrome and I have read about people who have had strokes who used it and benefited.  If you are interested here is some links to info about neurofeedback:

http://www.eeginfo.com/
http://neurofeedbackdefined.com/#/neurofeedback-home/

I hope this helps,
achilles2
How was the result of the diagnostic tests done? Severe headache that occur in stroke may be caused by  cerebral vasoconstriction or a powerful spasm of a blood vessel in the brain.  In time, the blood vessel often relaxes and goes back to normal. However, further evaluation may be indicated to determine the cause  and you may need to take stronger prescription medications. Complementary medicine such as biofeedback therapy ( as mentioned by achilles), acupuncture and other relaxation techniques may also help. Taking care of two kids at this point is indeed hard and you may need to ask help from your support system so that you can concentrate on getting well. Hang on and stay positive. Take care and do keep us posted.

I too got distinctly different severe headaches 24/7 just before a carotid artery dissection stroke that occurred 3 years ago.   My neurologist thinks the migraines were caused by my stroke even though there is nothing on the MRIs or CT scans that clarifies the reason for my migraine.  The doctor above is indeed correct that the headaches may get better as time goes by.

I have scoured the internet for medical studies which do confirm that migraines can continue weeks, months or even years after a stroke.

Unfortunately mine have lasted 24/7 for the last 3 years since my stroke, but since I have used the remedies suggested by 4 neurologists at the University of Michigan, I only have mild headaches 24/7 most of the time, but if I do a little too much they get severe.   My stroke was far worse than yours was with paralysis and difficulty speaking at the time of the stroke so your migraines may go away much faster than mine have.

The neuro feedback, accuncture and relaxation work didn't help me at all.  In fact I was losing a lot my hair from the constant physical pain.

Try prophylactic meds which you take daily to prevent the headaches.  Taking pain medication, even Tylenol, can cause headaches to continue with rebound headaches.

What have helped me the most are nerve block injections every 4 weeks and Botox injections every 9 weeks.  Also an anti-inflammation gel by prescription that usually heads off the migraines getting worse.  If you're interested I can give you that detailed info.

I still have "crashes" of my migraines when I do a little bit too much.  Then I take Esgic which controls them the best.  It has Butalbital plus caffeine--a barbituate.  And since I can't take it more than one day a week, then I switch to Lorcet--an opiate which helps some.  Also use ice packs.  Also I take (only works when the severe headache just starts,)  a nasal liquid of Lidocaine 2% and Vis. Sol Hi by prescription.  When all of this fails and I'm just vomiting and very dehydrated, then I have to go to the ER and get Benedryl, Reglan and Morphine which helps bring the migraine down a couple points and I'm usually laid up for at least a week afterwards from the migraines continuing, but not as bad as before the ER.

These solutions are from 4 different neurologists at the University of Michigan, so you're getting the benefit of some very great doctors.

Hope that it might help you.  Let me know how you are doing.