Migraines and Headaches Community

Migraine answers needed

I've had migraines on and off throughout my life.  I often get the migraine aura (flickering light showers) but, a migraine doesn't come.  I recently had a migraine and it lasted longer than usual, a few days. This one was really focused on my right side by my eye and through my jaw. The only difference is that my face was twitching causing my mouth to droop uncontrollably. I find each time I do get a migraine it is more intense than the last. Does anyone get the aura without migraine?  Has anyone experienced the type of migraine that I recently had? Any advise or help?
It will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Meg
You can get the aura without the pain associated with a migraine. It is called a "Silent Migraine". Although you may have suffered from migraines for years, the intensity and pattern can change. However, with any change especially when there is a worsening, you should see your healthcare provider for re-evaluation. As for the facial twitching with the drooling, I am not sure. Could be associated with the migraine or something else like Bells Palsy or TIA. This should be evaluated as well. I would make an appointment for evaluation and while waiting initiate or continue charting your headaches/migraines Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Shannon
Hi Meg,
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Indeed, you may benefit from further evaluation by your doctor or a referral to a neurologist. A complete neurological examination will help rule out neurological issues especially with the twitching and drooping. The symptoms and signs of a TIA usually resolve after a few hours. However, diagnostic tests such as ECG, head CT scan or brain MRI may help rule out stroke, which may present with the same symptoms. Other diagnostic tests to check high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, and other causes of and risk factors for this condition. Take care and do keep us posted.