A
A
Close
Migraines and Headaches Community
6.75k Members
1472647 tn?1297195172

Migraine answers needed

Hi,
I've had migraines on and off throughout my life.  I often get the migraine aura (flickering light showers) but, a migraine doesn't come.  I recently had a migraine and it lasted longer than usual, a few days. This one was really focused on my right side by my eye and through my jaw. The only difference is that my face was twitching causing my mouth to droop uncontrollably. I find each time I do get a migraine it is more intense than the last. Does anyone get the aura without migraine?  Has anyone experienced the type of migraine that I recently had? Any advise or help?
It will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Meg
2 Responses
You can get the aura without the pain associated with a migraine. It is called a "Silent Migraine". Although you may have suffered from migraines for years, the intensity and pattern can change. However, with any change especially when there is a worsening, you should see your healthcare provider for re-evaluation. As for the facial twitching with the drooling, I am not sure. Could be associated with the migraine or something else like Bells Palsy or TIA. This should be evaluated as well. I would make an appointment for evaluation and while waiting initiate or continue charting your headaches/migraines Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Shannon
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi Meg,
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Indeed, you may benefit from further evaluation by your doctor or a referral to a neurologist. A complete neurological examination will help rule out neurological issues especially with the twitching and drooping. The symptoms and signs of a TIA usually resolve after a few hours. However, diagnostic tests such as ECG, head CT scan or brain MRI may help rule out stroke, which may present with the same symptoms. Other diagnostic tests to check high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, and other causes of and risk factors for this condition. Take care and do keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Trinity , TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease