Migraines and Headaches Community

Migraines, sinuses & pains oh my!

A few years ago when I was the ripe age of 20, I experienced my first migraine. At that time I never really had any headache troubles and lived a pretty normal and carefree life.

My very firt migraine happened to be one of a very scary variety. My symptoms included: numbness and tingling on the entire right side of my body (even the right portion of my tongue was numb), I couldn't visually focus on anything (it's like what happens when you look at a bright light or the sun and then look away and wherever you try to focus is dark), I wasn't making much sense (mixing up or leaving out certain words entirely). I was ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED and completely convinced that I was suffering from a stroke. We want to the emergency room and I had several test done, a CT scan, an MRI, blood work, normal blood pressure/blood sugar and everything seemed to come back as normal. They diagnosed me as having an experience with a hemiplegic migraine and sent me on my way.

I had been dieting during that time (I was hardly eating) and I was running 2 to 3 miles a day. I had started a new job and started back to school. Also, my grandma had died, so i guess you could say it was sort of the perfect storm for a migraine, huh? I love drinking coffee so I drink that a lot. I don't smoke or do drugs of any sort.

Now, moving on to present day, I've been running again (the first time since my last migraine) and dieting again (eating more than before, but not enough still), and I got my second migraine. This one started out on the left side this time. I noticed that my left side peripheral vision had grown cloudy and dark and had grown all the way until I could barely see out of my left eye. Panicking, I downed a couple of excedrins, fearing it was a migraine. I had pain above the ends of both of my eyebrows (heading toward the temples) and also pain on the top of my head. My next symptom was that my left hand suddenly went completely numb. Then the left side of my tongue. Finally I just ended up falling asleep and woke up the next day thirsty and sore in my neck and on top of my head.

I know, I know, shame on me for not eating enough and working out too much. I have also been under stress at work and also under everyday stress since my dad died last year.

I have a semi recent history of sinus infections and I enjoy thrifting at goodwill stores (but always get a horrible headache from dust maybe?)  I feel some sort of pressure in my head seemingly at all times. I also have a painless throbbing in my temples almost everyday.

Some other strange symptoms I get: burning in lung/rib area (both sides) when walking and running (usually in the cold), slight tremor in my hands, right eye twitches, left shoulder pain.

I have a vitamin d deficiency and have taken supplements for the past few months. Also since the second migraine I've started taking a multivitamin.

I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac and care a lot about my health so I've been told by some doctors that I could have anxiety and may cause some of these problems myself.

I'm going to the doctor on Monday, so if anyone knows of any good questions for me to ask, that'd be really great.

Anyone else have any of these symptoms?

Can anyone shed some light on their experiences with any of this?

Are these migraines caused by not eating enough and can possibly go away if I correct the problem (the two migraines seem to have followed the same pattern)?

I know stress is a key factor when it comes to migraines, how do you all unwind or stress less about things?

Anyone else have aches and pains brought on by anxiety? If so, how do you deal?

Any helpful tips about migraines, sinus headaches? How do you treat them?

Honestly, any information or tips or experience would be reassuring to me and my over active,  hypochondriatic mind.

Take care!

Okay pop quiz: What is the cause of 50 - 60% of migranes? It's an essential mineral that starts with M and studies show anywhere from 68% to 80% of Americans are low to deficient. And testing for it may miss a deficiency state.  Answer: Magnesium. :)

Excerpt from Best Magnesium Citrate: "How to Fix Heart Palpitations or Irregular Heart Beat..."

"It has been found that 4 out of 5 people in the US (or 80%) are deficient in magnesium. If you are experiencing 2 or 3 of the following symptoms, you probably are one of them.

- heart palpitations, heart arrhythmia
- chest tightness
- urinary spasms
- constipation
- menstrual cramps, premenstrual irritability
- difficulty swallowing, a feeling of a lump in the throat
- insomnia
- light sensitivity, loud noise sensitivity- high blood pressure
- numbness, tingling, zips, zaps and other vibratory sensations
- being uptight or prone to temper
- muscle twitches, soreness, cramps, spasms, tension, tightness
- back aches, neck pain
- headaches, migraines
- jaw joint problems
- needing to sigh a lot, unable to take a deep breath
- hiccups
- leg spasms, charlie horses, restless leg syndrome
- anxiety, panic attacks
- hyperactivity
- angina"

Excerpt from Ancient Minerals: "Need More Magnesium? 10 Signs to Watch For"

"One method of assessing your magnesium status is to simply contact your health care provider and request detailed magnesium testing. Yet magnesium assessment is typically done using blood serum testing, and these tests can be misleading. Only 1% of magnesium in the body is actually found in blood, and only .3% is found in blood serum, so clinical blood serum testing may not successfully identify magnesium deficiency.

What to do?

Fortunately, it’s possible to get a sense of where your intake may lie simply by asking yourself a few questions about your lifestyle, and watching for certain signs and signals of low magnesium levels.

Learn how to read your signs below, and find out what you can do to ensure magnesium balance and good health. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you may be at risk for low magnesium intake.

1. Do you drink carbonated beverages on a regular basis?

2. Do you regularly eat pastries, cakes, desserts, candies or other sweet foods?

3. Do you experience a lot of stress in your life, or have you recently had a major medical procedure such as surgery?

4. Do you drink coffee, tea, or other caffeinated drinks daily?

5. Do you take a diuretic, heart medication, asthma medication, birth control pills or estrogen replacement therapy?

6. Do you drink more than seven alcoholic beverages per week?

7. Do you take calcium supplements without magnesium or calcium supplements with magnesium in less than a 1:1 ratio?

8. Do you experience any of the following:

Anxiety?
Times of hyperactivity?
Difficulty getting to sleep?
Difficulty staying asleep?

9. Do you experience any of the following:

Painful muscle spasms?
Muscle cramping?
Fibromyalgia?
Facial tics?
Eye twitches, or involuntary eye movements?

10. Did you answer yes to any of the above questions and are also age 55 or older?"

***

Excerpt from "Know the Importance of Taking Enough Magnesium with Your Vitamin D" by Kerry Knox RN...

"Vitamin D, just like all other nutrients, works in harmony with several other nutrients to perform its many functions. Most importantly, vitamin D requires and 'uses up' magnesium to convert from supplements or sun into its active form in the blood. As such, it is a big mistake to simply take large doses of Vitamin D without taking the need for magnesium into consideration.

Yet this is exactly what is happening in most cases and it is causing a lot of people to have problems that they believe are due to side effects of Vitamin D- or even worse they believe they are experiencing an overdose. Such a huge number of people have subtle magnesium deficiency that some researchers and doctors are calling magnesium deficiency an epidemic, and anyone with even a mild or 'subclinical' magnesium deficiency will have this deficiency amplified when Vitamin D is taken.

This is creating some uncomfortable 'Side Effects of Vitamin D' that are actually symptoms of an induced magnesium deficiency! Some of the magnesium deficiency symptoms being attributed to Vitamin D are:

Headaches
Insomnia
Jitteriness
Muscle Cramps
Anxiety
Heart Palpitations
Constipation"