Migraines and Headaches Community

Olfactory hallucinations/burnt plastic smell pervasive

On Tuesday, I got up and went to the grocery store, came back home and could only smell burnt plastic putrid rotten milk smell. I can't describe any better than that. Fragrances were the worst, like fabreeze. I had a plug-in that I always thought smelled good. I tried to sniff coffee hoping that would come through accurately but it made it more intense. I could not escape it. I opened my doors through away my fabreeze plug in and fabreeze spray. I gave laundry detergent away to my neighbor because all of the following felt like an enemy to my senses.

I later that night got a headache on my left side, frontal, that radiated behind my left eye. I am not a migraine regular. I did feel light sensitivity.

Has anyone ever experience this. In the past, I have had false smells of ammonia or bleach like these chemicals were under my nose, but weren't actually there. But, have never had an episode so intense as this.

What the hell is it?

It is too early to say that this is a migraine aura. Although this has been asssociated with a headache , other causes also need to be excluded. A neurologist will be able to help you. A brain scan to rule out any intracranial involvement and an EEG to rule out a seizure disorder will be helpful.A partial complex seizure may present with an aura and this may be associated with visual and olfactory symptoms depending on which part of the brain is involved. Also transient ischemia has to be ruled out. Since these are only differentials, a complete consultation to guide classification of your headache is needed. Although migraines may present with auras, these are usually visual in presentation.Other patients with migraines may complain of numbness and slurring of speech.

Do keep us posted regarding your physician's advice.