Aa
A
A
A
Close
Migraines and Headaches Community
6.76k Members

Optical Migraine

I am now over 50 (Happy Birthday!!!) and have gotten optical migraines since the early '80's for various reasons - I guess his is caused from working too many hours, possibly due to stress (though I don't think I am stressed...ever!), reading too much, using my eyes too much...too much strain on my eyes...I do work from a computer screen but I am diligent about taking breaks from the computer screen about 10-15 minutes per hour to reduce that strain. I do wear glasses (bifocals) since I turned 45. The optical migraines are not painful though I can 'feel' them....generally they don't stop me from doing any activities I want to do unless of course I have been up too long...etc. I am physically fit and I do exercise weekly but I have always had high blood pressure since I was a teen.
My doctor prescribed propranolol to get the blood pressure down and to rid me of the optical migraines, I no longer have high blood pressure, in fact my heart rate has also been lowered which is probably how the blood pressure was lowered but the optical migraines still come through. I have been on the Rx for 5 months. To tell the truth I really don't mind these optical migraines as I have learned to live with them (there is an aura), I don't drive when I have them is the only issue and that has never been a conflict and they don't last long...maybe 15-20 minutes.
What are the risks of having these optical migraines as I continue having birthdays, again I don't have any pain from these. There is an aura with these headaches...I do lose periperhal vision so I don't drive when I have these headaches.
What are the risks?
1 Responses
Hi

The various studies conducted over the past few years have suggested that some patients with migraine with and without aura are at increased risk for subclinical lesions in brain, which are associated with an increased risk of stroke, physical limitations and cognitive impairment, including dementia. The patients with a high attack frequency (one or more per month) are at greater risk.

Migraine may be an independent risk factor for stroke. Migraine sufferers are up to six times more likely to suffer a stroke in their lifetime than non-sufferers. Besides there is also risk of chronic depression, panic disorder, epilepsy, anxiety disorders, manic depressive illness, alzheimer's,  mitral valve pro lapse, Raynaud's Syndrome, glaucoma, asthma, multiple sclerosis

Medication Overuse Headache (MOH) is a frequent headache caused by overuse of medication, particularly those that treat migraine.

Hope it helps. Take care

Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Trinity , TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease