Migraines and Headaches Community

Suddenly getting migraines

I have no history or family history of migraines. I started getting them about a month ago, and they are getting worse and more frequent. I went the the ER the other night and they gave me a shot. I don't know what to do now, they said the CT scan was clean and they don't know why I am suddenly getting them. I need help.
a remedy is tart cherry juice , it might be stress
Well, if your CT scan was clear that is great news. Do you have any visual problem with it like wiggly lines or aura? Is it on one side of the head? I started getting my migraines at 23 or so. Never had them before that. They started as a stomach problem for me. Then in my 30's changed to a headache. Then in my 40's changed to occasional heahache and then vertigo. So you can have all kinds of symptoms from some of these. I would see a neurologist who specializes in migraines to get diagnosed. They can do an electroencephalogram to determine if your brain wave pattern is that of a migraine. It doesn't hurt. If it is positive then they can give you medication to treat the migraines so they are not as bad. If you have them very frequently they can also give you something like Topriamate or Trokendi XR. This is a drug that does make you tired and you get used to it after about 3-4 weeks. But it also has others side effects you would have to deal with. I take it because I have to due to the vertigo. But it is better than falling over. Now I have very rare migraines, auras and no vertigo or little. So I may be able to go down on it. I am also on 450 mg of SloMag ( magnesium that doesn't give you diarrhea). You can get that OTC at most drug stores. Sometimes they will give you other things first instead of topiramate like ciproheptadine plus low dose amitriptilyne. So they will work with you to see what work for you. I still take Imitrex or one of the triptan drugs to knock out a headache plus tylenol.  So that is the first line for me.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
mkh9
I do get lightheaded and my vision blurs from time to time, also yes I get the auras. Any lighting seems to make it worse. It wasn't until today that I started getting nausea though, so another symptom to tack on to the list. I will see my regular doctor tomorrow, hopefully I can learn more then.
Yes it sounds like a migraine with aura. Sorry you get the nausea. I would really see a neurologist if your insurance covers it. They are better at figuring out the best medication combinations for you. Let me know how it goes will you?
mkh9
I suffered from classic migraines for 15 years and by shear coincidence found a cure for my migraines.

What is important is that you do suffer from the classic type of migraine  :  Do you get the early warning bell : which is an aura or spots, which then progress to numbness in the face, then nausea  and finally an intense head ache where you cannot face any sort of light, and need to rest in a state of darkness.  I used to lock my self in a cupboard seeking complete darkness.

So I tried all sorts of doctors, medication , even the headache clinic, and nothing helped.  I used to play soccer, and I was just out of the army, playing a game of soccer .  We had just started, I was on the field when I started getting the "spots", I new I had to get off the field as I had about 30 minutes before I would experience the worst migraine. By this stage I experienced about 3 migraines a week.

Co-incidentally as the spots arrived, I also felt like sneezing, and what I normally do when I get the urge to sneeze, is look into a bright light, this helps the sneeze come quickly.  So I naturally glanced at the sun for about 3 or 4 seconds.

This made me sneeze, but what it also did is made my spots go away.  So here I am waiting for my migraine to come but it never came.

I thought this was weird as I would always get a migraine after the spots.  I put 2 and 2 together and realized that staring at a bright light may have caused this.

So I waited for the next migraine to arrive, a day or so later.  The minute I got the early warning spots/or aura, I ran outside and stared at the sun for 3 or 4 seconds, looked away, stared again, looked away, and I think I tried it again for 2 or 3 seconds, and noticed that the spots went away. To my utter joy, once again the migraine did not develop.  So for the next couple of months I realized if I stared at the sun by day, or at a bright light at night, just when the spots arrived, it would stop my migraine dead in its tracks.  The important thing was to do this the minute I saw the spots/aura.  If I was too late, the migraine would develop.

It's funny the, irony is that bright light really affects you when you have a migraine, who would think that bright light is what causes a chemical reaction in your head to stop the migraine from happening.

After doing this for about 1 year, my migraines completely disappeared, I never even got the spots.

I am not a health professional, and this cure may seem ludicrous, as we all know that staring at the sun can cause damage to your eyes.  For me, my migraines were so extreme, that I was happy to glance at the sun for a couple of seconds, knowing that my migraine would not develop. So you can try this, or leave it, but if you do decide to try this, please ensure that you do it the moment you get the spots or aura, you have to catch it the second you get the early start of it.
That is great that you found relief from your migriane. However I would recommend another light source other than the sun as the sun can blind you. You are Not supposed to look directly at the sun as it can burn or ruin your retina. You should Never look straight at the sun!
mkh9