Aa
A
A
A
Close
Migraines and Headaches Community
6.76k Members
1292923 tn?1272279895

Why do I get bad headaches after public speaking?

If I am talking to 1 or 4 people I don't get headaches but if there are 5 or more I am sure to get a headache after talking among them.

The only time I actually speak in public is at my church meetings.  The meeting is basically an open forum with a moderator and consist of about 25 to 30 adult church members.

I am 40 years old, married with no children yet.  I have always had a fear of public speaking and try to avoid it at all cost except for 1 on 1 and no more than a few people at a time.

I take Anti-Depressants, Anti-Anxiety and anti-psychotic medication due to my combat experiences during the Persian Gulf War in the early 1990's.  I also take pain medication for my lower back.  I also have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Arthritis.  Basically, my mental health doctors have determined that I have a severe “social disorder” that keeps me on the edge of Agoraphobia (fear of leaving the house or a “comfort zone”)

Besides for medication and theory – what are some other ways I can cure my stress headaches or prevent them before, during and after public speaking?
1 Responses
910419 tn?1289487327
If you're agoraphobic and are getting stress headaches, it might be time to talk to your psych doc about coping techniques. One thing that I can suggest is to practice with smallish groups of people, and then work your way up to the larger groups.

So other than practice, positive thinking is my other suggestion. Remember that the people in your church group aren't threatening, and that you are in control of the situation. If you need, take a bathroom break during the session, and just go hide in a stall for a couple minutes. I used to do this during school when I got overwhelmed. That and remember to BREATHE. I know it sounds silly, but when we're stressed, we start to breathe more shallowly and that can bring on a headache by itself. So every now and then, take a deep breath when somebody else is speaking, hold it for a couple seconds, and then let it out slowly.

I can totally understand not liking speaking in front of a bunch of people. I get really bad headaches when I'm exposed to a lot of people for any real length of time, although it's been getting better since I've started leaving the house more.

Good luck and keep us posted,'

~Dame
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Trinity , TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease