Migraines and Headaches Community

how much is too much

Hi everyone,  im a severe migraine sufferer for 25 yrs with neck and back pain, and over the last 5 yrs they have truly intensified., ive had mri & eegs,done over the last few yrs, i see a neuro. who for the past 10 yrs or so, has prescribed my butorphanol 2 bottles a wk, demerol 2x daily, ativan 2mg 2x daily, oxycodone 325 for my neck/back pain 2x daily when needed & finally 7.5 mg of zopiclone to fall asleep as my body cant do it on its own.  I've never got a "high" from any of these meds, if any thing, some nausea or i get abit tired. This reaction has been this way for about 5 or so yrs, im sure my body is needing these meds, but i dont think my mind does in the sense of abuser, as ive never used it to try to get a "high", my neuro has over the 25 yrs tried me on beta blockers, seizure meds, & honestly alot of stuff until these meds helped to take the pain away, Imitrex and alot of others made me horribly ill & other side effects.  So im just curious if anyone else out there gets similar meds, in these doses.  hoping all have a good day.
Hi and Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum.

I do not take the medications you have listed but I have seen similar lists by other members. I am not very familiar with Butorphanol but know it is a potent opiate... as is Demerol.  You say you obtain Two bottles a week. I have no idea how many are in a bottle so I cannot provide you with an opinion if this seems to be excessive quantities or not.... nor did you provide the dosages of the Demerol or Butorphanol.

Certainly we need no convincing that you don't get high or abuse your meds. We're PM patients and know the questions, suspicions and raised eyebrows that come when you mention you are on opiates for pain control.

I am blessed that I don't suffer from migraines on a regular basis. This may also play a part in the medications you are being prescribed. You may want to post on our Migraine/Headache Forum also. They may have more information and suggestions. Please know that you are always welcome here.

I hope our members will have additional comments for you.  You may also want to clarify some of your information. Thank you for taking the time to post and I will look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck