Migraines and Headaches Community

migraine or TIA ?

Hi, I have had 4  attacks in just over a week now. It came on suddenly without warning the first time. I had blurred vision, slurred speech, numbness and tingling in both legs and paralysis on my left side. I did get to finally see a neurologist who did some tests with pins on my body. His diagnosis was Migraine Variant possibly brought on by menopause or my hormones? I am 44 years old and my doctor says I am not menopausal. Another Doctor thought I may have had a mini-stroke? I have been offered no information on therapy or if there are any tests to confirm any of this ? What can I do or ask for? One Doctor told me that if I had had a mini-stroke with that many symptoms I would be dead ? Is this correct?Do I push for more tests and if so which ones?
How are you? Transients ischemic attack (TIA), according to the  American Heart Association,  is a "warning stroke" or "mini-stroke" that produces stroke-like symptoms but with no lasting damage or injury to the brain. TIAs are important in predicting if a stroke will occur rather than when one will happen. In about half the cases, the stroke occurs within one year of the TIA. This condition happens when a blood clot temporarily clogs an artery, and part of the brain does not get the blood it needs. The symptoms occur rapidly and last a relatively short time including sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body; sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding; sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes; sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination; or sudden, severe headache with no known cause.  Differential for this condition include migraine headache. Further testing like ECG may be done especially if you have co-morbid conditions like hypertension or heart diseases. Preventive medications like anti-coagulant or anti-platelet may also be started.  Talk to your doctor about this. Take care and do keep us posted.