Aa
A
A
A
Close
Migraines and Headaches Community
6.75k Members

migraine or TIA ?

Hi, I have had 4  attacks in just over a week now. It came on suddenly without warning the first time. I had blurred vision, slurred speech, numbness and tingling in both legs and paralysis on my left side. I did get to finally see a neurologist who did some tests with pins on my body. His diagnosis was Migraine Variant possibly brought on by menopause or my hormones? I am 44 years old and my doctor says I am not menopausal. Another Doctor thought I may have had a mini-stroke? I have been offered no information on therapy or if there are any tests to confirm any of this ? What can I do or ask for? One Doctor told me that if I had had a mini-stroke with that many symptoms I would be dead ? Is this correct?Do I push for more tests and if so which ones?
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
How are you? Transients ischemic attack (TIA), according to the  American Heart Association,  is a "warning stroke" or "mini-stroke" that produces stroke-like symptoms but with no lasting damage or injury to the brain. TIAs are important in predicting if a stroke will occur rather than when one will happen. In about half the cases, the stroke occurs within one year of the TIA. This condition happens when a blood clot temporarily clogs an artery, and part of the brain does not get the blood it needs. The symptoms occur rapidly and last a relatively short time including sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body; sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding; sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes; sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination; or sudden, severe headache with no known cause.  Differential for this condition include migraine headache. Further testing like ECG may be done especially if you have co-morbid conditions like hypertension or heart diseases. Preventive medications like anti-coagulant or anti-platelet may also be started.  Talk to your doctor about this. Take care and do keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Trinity , TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease