Hi and welcome to the Migraines & Headaches Community.
It is common for migraines to progress over time. Here are some OTC tips that have helped me.
1. There are several symptoms of migraines and what causes the pain of a migraine is the blood vessels in your brain become dilated. So, sometimes it helps it you put a bit of pressure on your head. I am sure you have already been doing this unconsciously with your hands from time to time. So, get a bandanna or a cloth headband and wrap it snugly around your head.
2. If you rub Mentholatum across your forehead and on your temples that helps relax those tense muscles. You can do this with or without the wrap, depending on if you like the heat or not.
3. Try either a cold or hot pack, whichever is more comfy to you.
4. The best OTC meds that I have found that works is Excedrin. It is a combo of Aspirin, Tylenol and Caffeine and that happens to be an excellent combo for migraines.
5. I mentioned caffeine before...well, drink coffee, Mt Dew, take Vivirin...sometimes a mega dose of caffeine will stop it in its tracks.
6. If you get nauseous or dizzy get some Meclizine from the pharmacy (the stuff behind the counter) you can take 25mg three times a day as needed. Yes it works on both.
Magnesium helps to heal nerve damage have you tried this? You may be deficient I haven't had to take any other pain killers since discovering this.
I've found that combining Benadryl (2 or 3 capsules) and Ibuprofen works. It will knock you out (which is part of the goal for me since your body relaxes as you sleep). I learned this from one of my trips to the ER when my migraines got too unbearable. Hope this helps, best of luck.