Migraines and Headaches Community

virul infection headache/dizzyness

Hi there i am male, 20 years of age, i have been to my gp doctor 4 times about this and just looking for more information if possible. I have this weird feeling in my head that i am describing as dizzyness as i dont know how else to describe it although not really feeling dizzy also have really strong headache sometimes, this can happen at anytime and will usually last for the rest of the day when i feel that bad it feels like i am going to pass out(i never have though) and i can't do anything, also when i am trying to sleep when like this thoughts of suicide are going through my head and it is really scary but i know i wouldn't do anything like that as i am not unhappy and nothing to be unhappy about in my mind.. I notice this happens when i am around a lot of people doesn't matter who and sometimes get confused when speaking to someone(only sometimes), my gp thinks this is a virus called "labyrinthitis" i have been like this for the last 6-7weeks.
Thanks in advance for any help or information.
Well, providing you trust this doctor, it is for sure something in his realm to answer your problems. I have no clue what labyrinthitis is but I am guessing it comes from the word labyrinth somehow. If this is true it would be basically that you have almost a type of claustrophobia and when it affects you, you start to get toungetied and nervous, like you are stuck in a maze.......and I was wrong. It's an inner ear problem which can cause a type of vertigo. The medication my father in law takes for it is like a super dramamine, same stuff my wife takes once in a blue moon when she has to tolerate my driving on the mountains for motion sickness. If this happens, you won't be taking anything addictive (at least it says so) and it would help with the dizziness.

It sounds to me (go with your doctor first right) that you have a type of social anxiety and a type of non panic anxiety. While I would listen to the doctor, I can give you some tips/techniques that might help you if you have panic issues, although I doubt you will. The part of these tips/techniques I am specifically talking about is the thought deversion methods, very helpful for when you are laying down and have those terrible thoughts.

Overall, I would say that regardless of what you have, it don't sound fatal nor does it sound like you will be stuck on some kind of medication/s that you will become dependent on or abuse. So it will be like taking an inhailer........sorry off track.

Okay, let's see what else.....here is a link where you can read more about what the probable diagnosis is, although I caution you to not put to much into your emotions about it since you do not know yet that you have it for sure. Even then, if the doctor confirms you do, it looks like you catching it soon enough is going to lead to a full recovery :-)

I will give you the link, then the tips/techniques :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis

Ok, there are pre panic tips and full panic tips.

Let's start with the pre panic tips.

A rubber band around the wrist can help if you use it before the anxiety turns into an anxiety attack. As soon as you start to feel weird you snap the rubber band onto your wrist. For some people, this can "snap" (pun intended) them out of going into the anxiety or panic attack.

When you start to feel the anxiety coming on, think of the most odd thoughts you possibly can. Wonder what a star would look like if it were really a circle in disquise.......how many cattapilars would it take to reach from the earth to saturn if they were drinking caffine. Distracting your thoughts with such bizaare thinking will redirect your mind from getting worse.

Sit down on a bench or chair, put your head between your legs, and force yourself to breathe in deeply, and breathe out deeply. It's when the breathing gets to short and quick that the panic gets worse. At first you might feel like you  can't do it, but with practice, you can.

If you wear correctional glasses, take them off. For some reason sight plays into some peoples anxiety problems.

Ok, now for when you are in an actual panic attack.

Cold water on the face, forehead, neck, and wrists can help calm the anxiety or panic down. If it's cold enough, it's kind of like shocking you out of the attack.

To add to the cold water technique, if you are in full blown panic attack, find ice as soon as you can, put it into some kind of rag or cloth, wet it, and rub it all over your head, face, neck, and behind your ears. Again, the cold shocks the mind out of the anxiety.

Here are some tips to prevent the anxiety and or panic attacks.

Stay away from caffine, as a rule, it is the MAIN reason people suffer from anxiety disorder and panic disorder.

Surround yourself with comedy whenever you start to feel off. Laughter is another technique that can fool the brain into concentrating somewhere else.

Keep a herbal tea you made handy when you are out and about. If you want, as long as you make sure it is safe for you, I will send you some "calm down" recipies that are 100% natural and legal.

Also, there are disposable instant cold packs you can buy from 99 cent stores to use for the cold, this makes it easy to find relief when driving, at work, or some other place a sink is not always available.