Military Health Issues Community
208 Members

Agent Orange Exposure: Diseases Recognized by VA

I found the following information on the VA website and thought I'd share it.

Diabetes Mellitus (Type II) :  As a presumptive condition for in-country Vietnam veterans:

Birth Defects - Spina Bifida:   The Veterans’ Benefits Act of 1997 granted benefits for children of Vietnam veterans who were suffering from spina bifida (38 U.S.C. §1805). Reference: 38 CFR §3.814

Current Conditions Considered by VA Presumptive to AO Exposure:

These are the diseases which VA currently presumes resulted from exposure to herbicides like Agent Orange. The law requires that some of these diseases be at least 10% disabling under VA's rating regulations within a deadline that began to run the day you left Vietnam. If there is a deadline, it is listed in parentheses after the name of the disease.

Chloracne or other acneform disease consistent with chloracne. (Must occur within one year of exposure to Agent Orange).

Hodgkin's disease.

Multiple myeloma.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

Acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy. (For purposes of this section, the term acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy means temporary peripheral neuropathy that appears within weeks or months of exposure to an herbicide agent and resolves within two years of the date of onset.)

Porphyria cutanea tarda. (Must occur within one year of exposure to Agent Orange).

Prostate cancer.

Respiratory cancers (cancer of the lung, bronchus, larynx, or trachea).

Soft-tissue sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma, or mesothelioma).

Thanks for sharing this!
Jack, Do you believe that only the what the VA has their presumptive list is all the AO causes?  There are many problems caused by dioxin, only problem is...research is not been done.  My hubby is a Vietnam Vet with Lupus.  He is now in a Lupus Research Study from Lupus Foundation in OK.  I read somewhere that the DoD is having research done.  I hope this group my hubby is in is part of this DoD one.  My suggestion, is look for a research group from whatever your illness is.  
Aletta, I thank Jack was  just sayin alot of vets dont know that they can git treatment and Montery comsetation if thy have these ceretain dieases , they should eb alot more added to the list.and thank yuo for your input,all information is herlful, and welcome home to your Husband.

pointman

Thank you...this forum is new to me...still figuring it out.  Thank your for your service and welcome home.
Truly ~ there are many many service connected medical conditions that a lot of Veterans are not aware of.
Fortunately, after our Vietnam Veterans waited OVER 30 YEARS!!!, some of the laws have changed in the last few years, ultimately making it easier for the Veteran to receive financial compensation, and medical treatment related to their active duty service.

If anyone is interested in finding out how to get connected to medical care, somewhat quickly, depending on the medical condition, and the availability of VA clinic's in your area... contact me! my email is VeteranAdvocate AT Comcast.net or contact me here.

I'm working on two claims both for Marines that served in the 70's.
One man has waited since 1980 for his benefits. The Board of Veterans Appeals in on the side of this Veteran, and has dished it back to the Regional Office (VA) here in Portland Oregon.
I love taking these laws and Making Them Work for the Veteran!
That's what they are there for!    So many in the VA system are just so burned out, they should quit. The Veterans care should never be sacrificed b/c someone doesn't know the laws have changed to help the Veteran, or b/c they don't have the energy to follow thru.
That's why I volunteer, and will never work for the fed. or state.
I'm not bound by their limiting laws.
Didn't mean to get carried away.... it's likely my own lupus is the direct result of agent orange exposure. Need to get hooked up with the lupus foundation in OKC and get my own service connect ~ connected!!!
In Peace & With Respect ~ Woshi
in country seems to be a the key wording ,I keep running into when I try to apply for my exposure to agent orange. service USMC 1967 to 1971 . first 1/2 spent armore plating ch46's second 1/2 spent decommisioning helocopters returning from viet nam . they called it corrosion control team, a short time later, after some of my team came up with unexpained rashes from exposure to licquid that filled the bilges of the first ch53's returning from viet nam, I realize we where actually a decontamination team. after the first draining of the helocopter bilges on to the hanger deck ( as directed) it was realized what we where dealing with. because I was never in viet nam all claims denide. I am now a panceatic cancer surviver with diabetes and many other health issues that may be related to my service. Wayne Michael Young  NO DIRECTION TO TURN
I am one more individual that has been diagnosed with lupus after returning from Vietnam, and type II diabetes.  I know that most of my time was spent in areas where AO was used.  I am posting this note for anyone intresting in accumulating data that might aid in  establishing a link between AO and lupus. Robert
It is good that some vets are receiving compensation and that for some vets it will be easier to be approved.  HOWEVER, although the list of harm for Vietnam Vets is a very good one ... the powers that be have blamed the wrong chemical.  Dioxin may be there, but per one researcher's comments, AO does not cause autoimmune issues.

It would be the other chemical in the mix that is common place for all wars and everyone in between, both in service and for civilians, too

The other chemical would be in gun cleaners, and many other sources.  Think back, when did you have flu symptoms?  Then look for the exposure to glycol butyl ethers ... especially 2-butoxyethanol.

I think it must be in the fumes of explosions.  (Would love to know what a chemist would find).

ALS for instance is a stand out harm for Gulf War Vets.  It is showing up in every service period with no explanation as to why.

So, just because dioxin is present, doesn't mean it is the cause of all that ails you.

Just because a virus is found for some with 'flu' symptoms, doesn't mean it is the cause of what ails you.

If the other chemical was something like 2-butoxyethanol, it could cause multiple autoimmune issues of which lupus would be one.  And the proof is the FATIGUE that evades doctors:  AIHA or IMHA.  Ask the doctors to have the lab tech LOOK at the red blood cells, and LOOK for liver and kidney function (there is a hormone - erythropoietin -  that must be present to make red blood cells, cause wound healing :&  neurological proper functioning, too).   Diabetes is only one of many side effects of this chemical exposure.  Autoimmune hypothalamus would also cause abnormal blood pressure / abnormal body temperature / and low blood sugar is a side effect as well.

I have heard that gamma globulin helps autoimmune platelets; maybe it will help autoimmune red blood cells which would be the most life threatening of all ailments, and would be there as well if 2-butoxyethanol exposure is the cause of 'all that ails you'
When my husband passed away in 1999, we had never heard of agent orange. No need to go to V.A. since we had good insurance. He was diagnosed with CLL.  He also had other symptoms of exposure such as peripheral neuropathy in his hip, leg both feet & in his right arm, hand. Operation for carpal tunnel didn't help & was diagnosed as sciaticia (mispelled?). Then there came the little blisters all over sun exposed areas which hurt, PCT. In 1999, CLL wasn't on the "list" so I couldn't get DIC. 2003 it came on the list, I reapplied BUT although his symptoms matched, they said it had to be a V.A. doctor to diagnose it & I can't prove he was in Vietnam since he was stationed in Germany 1963/1964. Odd thing is, is that for the last 2 1/2 months that he was in there, they have him listed as a cook (from a MTB and tank/track vehicle repairman)!! BUT while he was a "cook" he went from E-4 to E-5 & got a pay raise. I'm going to try to get all his records if they'll give them ALL to me, have requested them twice & they'll add a few more pages when they send them. He said he was in Vietnam at that time, I can't PROVE anything, it's not on his DD214. He also said it was a quick order for reassignment that came through--something about fires or something.  He hardly ever talked about it & I never pushed it. If anyone knows anything that can help me PLEASE e-mail me at ***@****. Thanks so much.
Has any Nam veteran experienced systemic scelorderma?

Steve T  1st Cav
Years ago I ws given 30% PTSD by the VA.  Recently was diagnosed with Parkinsons.  Are they ever going to include PD to their recognized list?

xdonutcop
I'm a  Vietnam vet, haven't had a drink in over 30 years, diebetes 2 for at least 10 years, past 4 years have been in hospital 12 times with pancreatitis.  Fighting now with VA but they claim pancreatitis is not caused by service connected diabetes. What else can a person do?