Miscarriages Community

Herbs and such

I wanted to share with you all some things I found…

I had been TTC since 2004 and had a divorce and now a fiancé I don’t know how I lived without…and I think now I have actively been TTC for roughly a year. And have become pregnant 2 times, once resulting in a Tubal and a miscarriage and so i read on line about Vitex and decided to give it a try and stick to it and see and document my progress and this is what I have come up with.

Not only has it helped shorten my period went from 8-9 days down to 5 days 3 of them being medium type bleeding. And 1 heavy day and a light day. I have also tried **** quai and it seems to be helping with the moodiness and such I was wondering if you ladies have given any herbs a try?  And what you found out…..good or bad

interesting..i have not tried any herbs......i usually blled about 3/4 days..and thats it....but thanks for info
your lucky i wish mine was like that naturally
I had done some research on this last week and this is what I have found:

"Vitex agnus-castus
Verbenaceae

Names: Vitex, Chasteberry.

Habitat:

Collection: The very dark berries should be picked when ripe, which is between October and November. They may be dried in sun or shade.

Part Used: The fruit.

Constituents:

Iridoid glycosides which include aucbin and agnoside
Flavonoids including casticin, isovitexin and orientin
Essential oil.
Actions: Uterine Tonic
Indications: Chasteberry has the effect of stimulating and normalizing pituitary gland functions, especially its progesterone function. It may be called an amphoteric remedy, as it can produce apparently opposite effects though in truth it is simply normalizing. It has for instance a reputation as both an aphrodisiac and an anaphrodisiac! It will usually enable what is appropriate to occur. The greatest use of Chasteberry lies in normalizing the activity of female sex hormones and it is thus indicated for dysmenorrhoea, premenstrual stress and other disorders related to hormone function. It is especially beneficial during menopausal changes. In a similar way it may be used to aid the body to regain a natural balance after the use of the birth control pill.

Here are some quotes from an article on Vitex by Medical Botanist Christopher Hobbs: "In 1930 Dr. Gerhard Madaus conducted some of the first scientific research on the plant and developed a patent medicine from an extract of dried fruits named Agnolyt . Almost all of the studies on Vitex have been done with this preparation. He found it to have a "strong corpus-luteum" effect, which increases progesterone. Scientists think that it regulates the pituitary gland, which detects increased estrogen levels and tells the ovaries to make less of it. Recent findings confirm that vitex helps restore a normal estrogen-to-progesterone balance.1 It can not only ease but, with time, actually cure premenstrual syndrome, which has been linked to abnormally high levels of estrogen, especially if symptoms tend to disappear when menstruation begins. Vitex can also help with irregular menstruation (especially if accompanied by endometriosis). In the late 1950's, in a study of 51 women who had heavy bleeding and excessively short menstrual cycles, 65% of those who took Agnolyt showed improvement. About 47% of the women were entirely cured (those over 20 years old seemed to have the highest cure rate) Vitex also helps resolve hormonally-related constipation.

Other problems that Vitex can help include fibroid cysts that occur in the smooth muscle tissue, or subserous areas. However, vitex is less likely to be helpful with submucous cysts. Because progesterone production decreases at menopause, vitex may help reduce some of the undesirable symptoms. Herbalist David Hoffmann reports that the most important use of Vitex in England is for treating menopause symptoms, and that this is the only female health situation in which he uses vitex by itself. For relieving symptoms such as hot flashes, he claims good results after 2 or 3 months of taking 2 ml (65 drops) of vitex a day. Several studies indicate vitex can help control acne in teenagers, both among young women and men.

Vitex can stabilize the cycle after withdrawal from progesterone birth control pills. For women who are trying to get pregnant, vitex may be helpful to help regulate the ovulatory cycle. It can safely be taken throughout the end of the third month of pregnancy, which may help prevent miscarriage, according to German research. After the third month it is still safe to take but is not recommended, because it may bring on the flow of milk too early."

I have never tried it personally as I already have light periods and they are very regular.  I am however taking eveining primrose oil (EPO) to increase the quality of CM.
That is interesting. I have usually have long heavy AF's, but not as much since my m/c. I wish they were only 3/4 days though!
Some info I came across a few weeks ago about Vitex...Women who are taking Clomid shouldn't take Vitex...they cancel each other out.

Other than that it was all good things I read.
I saw the same thing.  I'm just going to stick with the EPO as it's working just fine.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.