MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Low Progesterone/Miscarriage

I had a miscarriage in March of 08, I had to have a D&C to remove everything.  Since then, my husband and I have been TTC.  It is now October and from the months of "O' tests...i'm not ovulating.  I called my doctor and she did a Progesterone Test.  The result is 1.0 on day 21.  She said that is low and she does not think that i'm ovulating.  The question is....what would cause me to have low progesterone?  Also she said that i was very clearly not ovulating.  Is 1.0 very low?  I'm not clear on what "normal" should be. I have done some research and feel that progesterone medication and clomid would be a great choice for me.  Can a miscarriage cause low progesterone levels and if so...would that still be the case 6-8 months later?  Thank you for your time.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am sorry for your loss . Progesterone 1.0  is not good. Porogesterone is a hormone produced by the ovaries that helps prepare the uterus for pregnancy.

Progesterone during menstrual cycle:
Follicular phase     >1 to 1.5 ng/ml  (befor ovulation)
Luteal phase       3,3 to 26 ng/ml    (after ovulation)
Mid-luteal phase   4,4 to 28 ng/ml
Post Menopausal   < 0,7 ng/ml

So, low progesterone level can cause miscarriage.

Helpful - 0
Thank you.  No, I'm seeing my OB.  We've just discovered this problem.
Helpful - 0
I really can't answer any of your questions.  But I do feel your pain.  Do you have an RE (reproductive endocronolgist) that you are seeing?

My best friend works in ob/pediactrics and said that the most recommended rx is Clomid.  This aids in ovulation.  Please ask your dr about what they think.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Miscarriages Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.