Miscarriage at 16 weeks

I was in my 4th month, baby was measuring exactly 16 weeks, baby had a strong heartbeat of 165, and my hormone levels were normal.  I noticed fluid leaking that had this gushing feeling.  Went in for an ultrasound, baby was okay - he/she was moving around freely!  Two weeks later noticed some blood along with mild cramping, went back to the doctor and the ultrasound showed the baby did not have enough amniotic fluid.  The doctor said it was unlikely that the sac would reseal itself, but we still wanted to wait a week.  Unfortunately the very next day I was bleeding a lot and had to go to the ER.  I had a D&E procedure that weekend.  The baby was still alive with a strong heartbeat but obviously wouldn't live without the fluid.  They tested the fetus and there were no abnormalities.  Our expanded AFP results came back negative.  

If you have a less than 5% chance of miscarrying at this point in time AND we heard the hearbeat until the very end AND there were no development problems, why did this happen?  Has this happened to anyone?  I'm so scared and nervous because I'm afraid this will happen again especially if they don't know why it happened in the first place.  
OMG I am so so sorry... I am 16w now and I can't imagine...  I am so sorry for your loss... what do the dr say?
I'm so incredibly sorry that that happened to you.

Unfortunately I have not heard your exact story before, so I do not know of anyone who has gone through this. I can only guess that your amniotic sac broke early. Babies can die if there isn't enough amniotic fluid, that much I do know.

I can't say whether or not it might happen again. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you!
I have been devastated and can't make sense of it.  The doctor said that it's rare, but when it happens there is nothing that they can do about it.  The risk of infection when your water breaks is high, so they do not encourage you to wait.  I have my post-op appointment on Thursday.  Not sure if he will be able to provide more answers, but if he does, I will let you know.  

It's been so hard - "peanut" was already a little person to me.  As I'm sure you already have, at this stage we bond with our baby... talk to him/her.  We were going to find out the sex on the 24th.  We had purchased furniture, clothes, books, toys, etc.  It's amazing how we can love something so much.  This has been the hardest thing I have ever been through.  And the hormones don't help.  For the first week I couldn't even get out of the bed... no appetite... no motivation to do anything.  This past week was much better.  Thank g-d for my husband... he is an amazing source of strength.
I am so sorry this has happened!  I wish you all the best.  I know what you mean about feeling a connection to the baby and already buying things.  The baby you lost was a very real part of you.
omg I go in the 27th to find out the sex... did they tell you the sex when you m/c?  I m/c 5 days after I found out I was pg with my last child and that was sooo hard... I cried and cried and that was only after 5 days of thinking about being a mommy..  I still think of that baby and how I hope to meet him/her one day in heaven.  I am so sorry for your loss...
I don't have any answers for you or experiences to share, I just wanted to tell you that I'm extremely sorry for your loss.  I may be experiencing a miscarriage right now and I can't even imagine being 16wks along and going through what you've gone through.  God bless.
I honestly don't really answer as to why it happened. I know that drinking a lot of water is what keeps your amniomic fluid up. But if your water broke that early (which I have heard of happening before) then there really wasn't anything they could do. I can only imagine how hurt you are with all of this. I've heard of this happening to someone else who ended up getting pregnant again and carrying to term... hopefully that helps a little.
did they say anything about an incompetant cervix? You might want to find out because if that is a consideration they can put a little stitch in your cervix next time to prevent the same problem.
Thank you for your compassion and support... what a wonderful group this is.

No, they did not tell me the sex of the baby.  I remember asking as soon as I got out of surgery and the surgeon said that it was too early to tell.  But since the baby was sent for tests, maybe my OBGYN will know and will tell me at my post-op appointment.  

To be honest, I don't think I drank enough water, so I have been feeling quite guilty about it - but my doctor said it didn't have anything to do with it.  ??  All I know is that next time around (g-d willing), I will drink A LOT of water just in case.  I did have a bladder infection and I read on line that frequent UTIs can result in membrane ruptures.  Again, I hope to get more information when I go to my appointment this week.

My cervix remained closed the entire time and the doctor said I did not have an incompetant cervix.  You can see why I am at a loss on this because it just doesn't make sense.  

My doctor said that once you have a miscarriage you are considered "high risk" in the Kaiser network.  So this means that I will have more frequent appointments - one thing I have learned through all of this is that when you're pregnant (and IF you are experiencing some blood, cramping ,etc.), you MUST be in the care of a M.D.  We elected to see a Nurse Practioner who had 30+ years of experience, so we thought we would have the best pre-natal care!  This of course was not her fault by any means, but having gone through this emotional and physical trauma, I recommend that you see a M.D. for your pregnancy.

Chelle: you are in my thoughts.  
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how I would cope. I miscarried about a week after I found out I was pregnant and cried everyday for a week after my miscarriage. I can't imagine the pain that your going through buy I can tell you that it will get better and that God in watching over you and  he will get you through this!
My heart is with you.... I could not wish this pain on anyone. I miscarried  4 years ago at 12 weeks they said the heartbeat just stopped beating. No one could ever give me a reason why this happened and to this day I still think about it. The pain will get easier... I hope that God will bless you with children. I have 2 beautiful children and trying for 3. I know your heart aches, they say everything happens for a reason. My heart is with you and your husband. God bless you both
Hi...
Thank you both for your thoughts and prayers.  I am hopeful that we will fall pregnant again.  Just more cautious next time around... hearing everyone's stories gives me hope that we will blessed with a healthy child of our own someday.
Hello...I am so sorry for your loss...I truly am, as I can feel your pain.  I lost twins in April (at 12 weeks) and lost a singleton (at 14 weeks) in August.  I know that one of the disorders I was tested for was a "newer" one they are testing for now and it is called MTHFR...I am not sure what it stands for, but I do know it has something to do with the amniotic fluid levels.  Is this your first loss? You may just ask your doc about it...obviously, he would know more than I.  I do not know a whole lot about it, because mine ended up coming back negative.  I have 2 healthy boys (ages 3 and 6)...So, this has come as quite a surprise to my husband and I...doc too, actually.  I have been tested for several autoimmune disorders (lupus, antiphospholipid syndrome...etc) and so far, everything negative.  pretty strange...We too had genetic testing done on the last loss and everything came back normal on that too!  We did find out the sex (ours was another boy!)...They will know the sex if they are doing genetic testing...it is part of the test.  I was not sure if you wanted to know, but just in case!!   But, again, I am soooo sorry for your loss...I really do know exactly how you feel and would love to stay in touch on how you are doing.  My husband and I would LOVE to have 1 more (or 2, considering twins run in my family and I have been there once...lol), but I am too scared right now to even think about it.  I just had a follow up again at the end of November and the doc told us that he has no reason to tell us not to try again.  BUT, there is OBVIOUSLY something causing it and I have been doing MAD research on here and have actually seen some things that I am going to talk over with my doc...Good luck...keep us posted!!
Mandy
I am sorry to hear about this loss and I hope that everything will turn out ok for you in the end. I just wanted to share my story with you. I was 15 weeks along in my pregnancy and had went to the docter a few times in that 15 weeks not on time did the docter even try to listen to a hear beat or even do my normal rutine. I would just go in and they would draw blood and Iwould go home. At my 15 week mark I went in to use the restroom and noticed a little bleeding and put a pad on a little later went back to the restroom to check and still just a tiny. My husband and I went to the ER to be on the safe side and at our Hospital they do not delivery babies we have to go out of town, but they listen for the hear beat and the nurse says that she hears the cord so we thought that if the cord was pumping then the baby would be fine surly. We were then sent to my delivering hospital about a half hour away and by the time I had gotten there there was no longer any spotting. They gave me an ultrasound to be on the safe side and the babies heart was not beating. The measurments on the ultrasound showed the baby at only 8 weeks and the sac at being 10 weeks but my body was 15 weeks. This was a shock to me because I could feel the baby move even my husband felt it move. The only explaination the docter was able to give was that my body was pregnant but with no baby. I was devastated. Three months later we found out we were pregnant again with our beautiful little boy and he is healthy as can be. We still to this day being 2 years later do not know the sex of the baby because of course it was to little but we say she was our little girl and we named here Heaven leigh. We even celebrate her birthday which is April 22. I know this is hard and you may feel as though you will not be able to move on but you will and everyday will get easier and eaiser. I promise. I hope that you are ok and that you will find a way to get through this and you and your family will be happy and healthy. Good Luck and Best of Wishes.
Hi Mandy,
I'm sorry to hear about your losses as well.  Yes, this was my first loss.  I am scared that it will happen again, but I am really trying to keep a positive outlook.  

I don't think this is ever easy, but if there is anything I wish were different, it would be that this happened earlier on in my pregnancy.  Even though they say that you're never really in the clear until your baby is born, they do give you a BIG amount of reassurance that if you hear a strong heartbeat and you've made it past your first trimester, you're not likely to miscarry.  What I fear most if we get pregnant again, is that I'll be nervous and anxious the entire pregnancy.  This is why it's important for me to take it one day at a time... if I get too ahead of myself with these thoughts and feelings, it will be hard to fall pregnant again AND carry a child.  I will check out MTHFR on the web and ask my doctor tomorrow when we go in for our post-op.

You've been blessed with two sons - and I'm hopeful for you that you will be blessed with a healthy 3rd child - possibly #3 and #4 at the same time!  :-)  As the others say on this site, I am sending you baby dust!!
Thank you for sharing your story... all these stories give me hope, so I greatly appreciate it.  Each day does get better.  :-)  
Please read my profile. I hope that it will give you hope! I'll be praying for u!
I lost my first pregnancy at 18 weeks - I was devastated.  I have found the website ***************** (community: miscarriage and stillbirth) very helpful.  All of the women there know exactly what you're going through.  My heart goes out to you, I truly understand how deeply you're hurting from this.
I have compund heterozygous MTHFR.  It causes blood clots to form and therefore loss of fetus.  It can cause loss at any stage of pregnancy.  It basically causes folic acid deficiency which leads to the clots among other things.  I have never heard of it being linked to amniotic fluid loss.
I am sorry for your loss. I was 16 weeks when my water broke.There was no reason given. My son Aidan hang on for a week with a strong heartbeat and no fluid before God took him home. He was the most beautiful boy.He was a fighter and I know we will get him back. Try to keep your head up.
im very sorry about your loss...amniotic fluid loss can happen to anyone at any stage in a pregnancy...the difference is if it happens in later stages in pregnancy they will rescue the baby by early delivery but as early as 16 weeks it i snot possible to save baby's life....and if happens once it does not mean it would happen again!  in fact is less likely... stay strong and i am sure you will have a healthier pregnancy next time...
I am very sorry for your loss. I have had 2 miscarriages both at 17 wks. My water ruptured on both. My dr. also told me it is not do to an inconpotent cervix and all the test have came out negitive. I am now 7wks pregnant an am scared that it will happen again. The dr. did put me on aspirin and folic acid to see it it helps. Well, good luck and keep your head up!!!!
omg im so so sorry  for u and ur loss  i cant imagen what your going through, my thoughts r with you.
i was 16 weeks pregnant with twins me and my boyfriend were so happy everyone in our families were but the doctors told me that i wouldn't be able to carry past 6 months and if i tried to the i could bleed out. everyone said the best thing to do is to terminate it but i couldn't! they were my babies. well i lost them two weeks ago. and now everyone around me is pregnant! they don't think i know but i do. and nobody understands how hard it is just to babysit my neice or be happy for my sister she's pregnant with her second child. i just don't know what to do

You are reading content posted in the Miscarriages Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.